Official RADIOHEAD thread

Started by Duck Sauce, January 11, 2003, 05:54:58 PM

Sleuth

Quote from: moonshinergenre is a prison

:kiss:
I like to hug dogs

modage

Quote from: Pas RapportAs for Radiohead and lack of catchy songs, if we only need a single counter-example, then let's just name Karma Police. Here, debate over.

i cant speak for anyone else, but when i mentioned no catchy songs, i was referring to a post-okcomputer radiohead.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Alexandro

Quote from: themodernage02
Quote from: Pas RapportAs for Radiohead and lack of catchy songs, if we only need a single counter-example, then let's just name Karma Police. Here, debate over.

i cant speak for anyone else, but when i mentioned no catchy songs, i was referring to a post-okcomputer radiohead.

well, i've been unable to take out "the gloaming" from my head in the last two weeks... and i mean uneable...

for the whole albums are catchy...although i don¿t think that's what they're aiming at, really...what's so great about having a catchy song??

RegularKarate

Yeah... this whole "Radiohead has no catchy songs thing" is BS.

My wife (who is a fan of a lot of pop and shows no favortisms outside of Loretta Lynn) has been caught singing Myxamatosis, Idioteque, and various other post-OKComputer songs, though she has a preference for The Bends.  She is a good example (because as a hardcore Radiohead fan, I am not a good example) of someone who finds thier songs to be "catchy".

godardian

Quote from: RegularKarateYeah... this whole "Radiohead has no catchy songs thing" is BS.

My wife (who is a fan of a lot of pop and shows no favortisms outside of Loretta Lynn) has been caught singing Myxamatosis, Idioteque, and various other post-OKComputer songs, though she has a preference for The Bends.  She is a good example (because as a hardcore Radiohead fan, I am not a good example) of someone who finds thier songs to be "catchy".

Idioteque is catchy, but I find it to be quite the exception. I'm with Mrs. Karate on The Bends being premium Radiohead.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

SoNowThen

Everything In It's Right Place
Packt Like Sardines...
Optimistic
Morning Bell
There There
A Punchup At A Wedding

all sit in my head for days after listening... I find myself constantly humming and singing them

catchy as hell

but only after listen no. 3....
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Pedro

Quote from: SoNowThenbut only after listen no. 3....
this is the reason that so many hate radiohead...alot of people, and im not saying godardian or anyone here, but a lot of people think that any music that takes more than one listen to fully grasp is shit.

modage

Quote from: AlexandroRadiohead wants to make pop. They said it them themselves. But they can't. They're too smart, their music and lyrics are too inteligent and filled with substance to be pop. Björk has the same problem, she's too smart for pop.

Pop is stupid and fun, most of the time (boy bands, britney, strokes), and sometimes it's something more crafted (coldplay, metallica, white stripes)...and sometimes is just something too fucking cool to be pop, like radiohead and björk and the flaming lips and air...

or sometimes is something so chamaleonic it's impossible to tell: david bowie...beck...ween

well, i've been unable to take out "the gloaming" from my head in the last two weeks... and i mean uneable...

for the whole albums are catchy...although i don¿t think that's what they're aiming at, really...what's so great about having a catchy song??

why is pop supposed to be stupid?  radiohead are too smart to write a handful of good songs to insert their techno-blips into now?

boy bands, britney and strokes?  yeah okay.  if the boy bands you're reffering to are the beatles, the kinks, the ramones, the smiths, etc. then, maybe i can see where you are coming from.  too cool for pop?  what the hell are you talking about?

the gloaming is everything terrible about the "new" radiohead.  bullshit blip beeps droning staticy non-song.  that fucking studio noise belongs on the cutting room floor, and its the new radiohead that is too smart to see that. and okay, its not so much about being supremely catchy, but how about just a listenable tune?  the gloaming is not exactly hummable.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Sleuth

Even I don't like the Gloaming
I like to hug dogs

Pas

Quote from: themodernage02
why is pop supposed to be stupid?  radiohead are too smart to write a handful of good songs to insert their techno-blips into now?

boy bands, britney and strokes?  yeah okay.  if the boy bands you're reffering to are the beatles, the kinks, the ramones, the smiths, etc. then, maybe i can see where you are coming from.  too cool for pop?  what the hell are you talking about?

the gloaming is everything terrible about the "new" radiohead.  bullshit blip beeps droning staticy non-song.  that fucking studio noise belongs on the cutting room floor, and its the new radiohead that is too smart to see that. and okay, its not so much about being supremely catchy, but how about just a listenable tune?  the gloaming is not exactly hummable.

I completly agree with that.

moonshiner

the rumble of the train trails off to infinity, a place where no one goes anymore

JC, no not that one

godardian

Quote from: moonshinerpop music is a prison

Like all culture, pop and otherwise, it is both prison and liberation.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

moonshiner

Quote from: godardianLike all culture, pop and otherwise, it is both prison and liberation.

and in everything listed, there is beauty...including Radiohead songs
the rumble of the train trails off to infinity, a place where no one goes anymore

JC, no not that one

godardian

Quote from: moonshiner
Quote from: godardianLike all culture, pop and otherwise, it is both prison and liberation.

and in everything listed there is beauty...including Radiohead songs

I'm really not sure that follows.

Would JC be Cocteau, not Christ?

moonshiner

Quote from: godardianWould JC be Cocteau, not Christ?

no, that is a poem of mine, i'm neither Christ nor Cocteau, although the latter seemed quite prolific.....

about my previous post, i put in a comma that may make my point more clear, you will probably disagree just the same

JC, no not that one