Marilyn Manson

Started by Ghostboy, May 15, 2003, 11:04:53 PM

MacGuffin

Quote from: SantaClauseWasA BlackManthat part about him playing football just may be the death blow to his image

Yeah, but he plays with real virgin pigskins slaughtered and skinned before the concert in their Satanic sacrifice ritual.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

what if he is like puddy from seinfeld in real life

i find this inspirational,my mind is flooding with funny ideas

on stage he is the prince of darkness offstage he is puddy

Cecil

Quote from: neverevenHe is a really nice guy who barely has a bad word to say about anyone, and his image is just that...an image.

so how he acts on the guns god and goverment doc on the dvd is just a performance then?

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

Quote from: cecil b. demented
Quote from: neverevenHe is a really nice guy who barely has a bad word to say about anyone, and his image is just that...an image.

so how he acts on the guns god and goverment doc on the dvd is just a performance then?

i bet he is  just like tim allens charecter in home improvement

godardian

It's a sad (or at least boring) day when you pull the new Rolling Stone out of your mailbox, there are four prominent pop-music personalities on it, and the most exciting one is Marilyn Manson...

Actually, maybe it's just sad that I'd be pulling a Rolling Stone out of my mailbox at all.  :oops:
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Gold Trumpet

Everytime I am able to hear Marilyn Manson talk at length, I feel the promise of him being able to give better music. He is very intelligent. Alas though, he doesn't in anyway and continues to milk his own gimmick to success though the popularity of that gimmick has waned incredibly over recent years and its obvious he needs to fucking change (evolve) somewhat.

~rougerum

Cecil

you dont think his music progresses from record to record? okay

godardian

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetEverytime I am able to hear Marilyn Manson talk at length, I feel the promise of him being able to give better music. He is very intelligent. Alas though, he doesn't in anyway and continues to milk his own gimmick to success though the popularity of that gimmick has waned incredibly over recent years and its obvious he needs to fucking change (evolve) somewhat.

~rougerum

This is a feeling I've had, too. That's why I think the pop artist he's closest to is Madonna... they're better at the art of publicity and attention and pose and performance (not an insignificant skill) than they are at the art of making records. And they can both talk an at least pretend-intelligent/intellectual game, but it seems as if all their ideas emerge in their music as embarrassing sloganeering, dumb confession and ooky-spooky, campy "transgression."
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Ghostboy

I listened to a few tracks of 'Golden Age' today at the record store. That first instrumental track was awesome. The rest of it does feel very antiquated and immature, but he does have a knack for catchy pop-rock. I haven't heard Holy Wood, yet, other than the forgettable Disposable Teens single, but I don't think he's fulfilling the musical promise of Mechanical Animals, or, as GT said, the intelligence diplayed in his interviews.

His next album should have a picture of him on the cover with no makeup, no costume, just his ordinary everyday appearance.

Sleuth

Ghostboy, go listen to Holy Wood ASAP
I like to hug dogs

Cecil

Quote from: GhostboyHis next album should have a picture of him on the cover with no makeup, no costume, just his ordinary everyday appearance.

i actually had that idea for him to do in a music video

European Son

Quote from: GhostboyHis next album should have a picture of him on the cover with no makeup, no costume, just his ordinary everyday appearance.
I don't know.....wouldn't that kind of reek of the time KISS did that? KISS sucked even more without the makeup. But then again, Manson is a lot better than KISS.

Ghostboy

I just saw El Topo this evening. Not only do I suddenly realize that the wonderful video to 'Man That You Fear' owes just as much to Jodorowsky as it does to Fellini, but I suddenly see exactly why Marilyn wants to star in The Son Of El Topo. That would be soe awesome if that got off the ground. I read about this time last year that it was actually in pre-production...

phil marlowe

has anyone noticed how he ripped of faith no more's 'be agressive' in mobscene. that cheerleader choir is directly stolen.

my thoughts on manson is that he's ass said very intelligent and very skilled as a rock musician but his music is mostly not my cup of tea. mechanical animals is brillant, anticrist is very very very overrated and holy wood is good but pretty forgetable.

NEON MERCURY

do i detect a pulse.................................CLEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

time to get this thread started after (almost) a month long coma
Here is my take- So PLEASE don't hate me if it offends you- this is IMO!!!!!!

1.the average listener is prob.  around 12-17
2.the satanic angle is cheap/stupid/immature/overused/fake
3.he has marginal music talent
4.why would someone ACTUALLY buy his "art" :roll:
5.he is an entertainer more than a musician(if his noise and persona  ACTUALLY entertain you)
6.he gets his fans through gimmicks(see #2)
7. :lol:................ that is what most people do when they look at someone's cd wallet and see a cd of his music in there.