Under The Skin

Started by MacGuffin, September 02, 2013, 06:48:38 PM

jenkins

+/or i might start a 2014 movie topic. jk (it'd be lonely). excited about this earlybird surefire hit, the upstream color of 2014. that's basically what i'm saying: i'm excited

edit -- let excitement alone be the beginning of this page. hell yeah

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

jenkins

it's been a strong movie year. it's likely that people will see and like under the skin

got it? lemme know

dude you know what you're doing, every time you make a post. you're obviously not retarded, yet you made a post about the reception of various movies to be released in 2014 in a topic devoted specifically to ONE OF THEM. you could not have thought that no one was going to say anything about this. at this point, it seems almost like what you're going for.

got it?

Axolotl

You know what. I like a bit of cinephilic effervescence once in a while. Makes this place feel less dead.

LEAVE JENKINS ALONE!!!1!

jenkins

Quote from: 03 on April 04, 2014, 02:45:53 PM
dude you know what you're doing, every time you make a post. you're obviously not retarded, yet you made a post about the reception of various movies to be released in 2014 in a topic devoted specifically to ONE OF THEM. you could not have thought that no one was going to say anything about this. at this point, it seems almost like what you're going for.

got it?

mhmm, said it because this is the first movie from 2014 that i think has a chance to be appreciated from an outside range, like from a tv perspective or etc. i know what i'm doing, i'm searching for movie talk. going for it. this isn't the first good movie of 2014, but it's the first that's a kinda dynamic beacon for nonmovie people. like i said earlier, pta will do that, oh for sure, but that's a december talk. i'm talking april

got it..that you're putting me down? i don't think you were unclear

Quote from: Axolotl on April 04, 2014, 03:04:42 PM
You know what. I like a bit of cinephilic effervescence once in a while. Makes this place feel less dead.

<3

xixax so doesn't need to be dead this year! it's such a good movie year. the fuss will be the fuss, but looking forward to movie chats

Cloudy

Agreed with Axo +1. Jenkins rants are ridiculously charming/fluid. Can't wait another week, I think a Persona/Sexy Beast screening is in order before watching.

N

Quote from: Axolotl on January 30, 2014, 01:41:08 PM
Wow
This is a trailer. This is the most a trailer has ever worked on me.

Yeah same, nearly, that teaser is my new second favourite after this.

Cloudy

Oh shittttttt. That was...that was   :yabbse-thumbup: :yabbse-thumbup: :yabbse-thumbup:
Can't wait to go back. Yes yes yes.

"The Dissolve: That's just faith in mankind, basically.

Glazer: It is, and I think that's precisely what the film was about. Shooting the way we did was about understanding that the methodology and the narrative were the same thing, and they were equivalent. It's a kind of perfect storm of all of those ingredients, and when you go into it, you're absolutely clear, conceptually, that what you're doing is right."

Great interviews:
The Dissolve
http://thedissolve.com/features/interview/496-director-jonathan-glazer-on-under-the-skins-comple/?utm_content=buffer74373&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Walter Chaw:
http://www.filmfreakcentral.net/ffc/2013/09/telluride-13-ffc-interviews-under-the-skin-director-jonathan-glazer.html#more

Filmmaker Magazine (Sound Design):
http://filmmakermagazine.com/85224-groundbreaking-work-often-sits-at-the-boundaries-of-technology-sound-designer-johnnie-burn-on-under-the-skin/#.Uzwkyl5dWrU

Drenk

Well, there was ten teenage girls in my screening. They were laughing at the movie, speaking loud, saying "Shut up" when we asked them to be quiet. I called the security guard thirty minutes in the movie. Ten minutes for the girls to leave the theater (THEY WERE SO MANY).

I don't think I was able to experience the movie.

Anyway, I thought there were some great ideas...or glimpses of ideas? It's all about watching the world from an alien perspective; but I thought it didn't went far enough; it became repetitive. I don't want to revisit the movie. The movie gave me the impression to revisit it while I was watching for the first time.

Weirdly, I had ideas, feelings about cinema, during the movie; as if I was thinking about the movie that could exist under the skin (see what I did here?!) of the actual movie.
Ascension.

Lottery

Quote from: Drenk on June 26, 2014, 11:38:49 AM
Anyway, I thought there were some great ideas...or glimpses of ideas? It's all about watching the world from an alien perspective; but I thought it didn't went far enough; it became repetitive. I don't want to revisit the movie. The movie gave me the impression to revisit it while I was watching for the first time.

Weirdly, I had ideas, feelings about cinema, during the movie; as if I was thinking about the movie that could exist under the skin (see what I did here?!) of the actual movie.

Pretty much how I feel about it. The second part too. But I kept of thinking Yorgos Lanthimos. And ScarJo as a terminator.

Glimpses of great ideas, yeah. It had its appeal and creepiness, the score was memorable too. I also think those void/seduction scenes may become iconic. They certainly impressed me anyway. The film had a cool stylistic element to it which I really admired but it wasn't consistently maintained throughout (not that it would have been appropriate), it was like a dark futuristic desolation. It reminded me of old creepy scifi paperbacks/tv shows and going to the darkened horror section of the video store when I was young. But obviously updated.

Oh yeah, looking back, I'm also reminded of The Cell. And I suddenly want to see Shane Carruth do a proper horror film.
So yes, it certainly made me think of a bunch of other works, styles and feelings while maintaining its own identity.

SPOILERS

I was kinda disappointed that the film became a sort of 'mankind and earth is cool, maybe I can be hooman etc' or whatever but I became more understanding of it as it continued. The later scenes are good, especially where she's confused and terrified- a marked change from her cool manipulative nature early on. It was probably one of the few ways the story could develop really. The character's demise was a bit unexpected though, I liked the individual sequences leading up to it but by that late stage I actually wanted to see more of her actions. And perhaps I wanted to see more of her boss during the climax, he has a big chase and then he's like 'righty-o, guess she's gone'. Feels wasted in a way.

jenkins

i don't see how it could take the idea further

spoiler because i plot synopsis

i viewed it through a human lens, as a woman entering the routine of male-female relationships, and she's mistreated and she mistreats back, then she finds a curveball, then she experiences new perspectives, then she's placid with someone, then as she adjusts her orientation what happens, a terrible other-possibility happens

went straight to my perspective on the movie. i don't see a shortage of ideas. but also i had to read a synopsis to learn she was actually an alien, like deliberately an alien. thought that was a metaphorical tactic. but i guess the movie's more like an allegory or something. the definitely part: i don't think the emotions could be taken further because i think they go quite far

Mel

Quote from: Drenk on June 26, 2014, 11:38:49 AM

I don't think those two things are separate. Emotions evoked in me directly toward the film doesn't seem accidental. At specific points my feelings toward the film were the same or similar to feelings of character toward surrounding world. This is probably strongest and at the same time weakest part of a film.

Possible spoilers. Just to point out in chronological order:

• curiosity: what films is about / what this place is
  • routine: repetition for audience / daily routine for character
  • alienation: I couldn't anchor myself, everything was too thin / character doesn't fit
  • surprise: something unexpected happens
  • connection: this is the part, were I felt closest to character / character finds some place for a moment
  • distress: I've problems with putting it together
  • demise: I'm ready to let go

At the moment I'm unsure if I like "Under The Skin" or not, since I like to strongly respond to films, were here I was alienated for the most part (weakest/strongest side pointed out earlier).

btw. I almost forgot about funniest moment with Tommy Cooper:

Simple mind - simple pleasures...

tpfkabi

I really dug this film. Glazer is known for doing some great videos, and you can kinda see elements of those here - Rabbit in Your Headlights, Karma Police.
I guess since the US theatrical date was 2014 this will count as a 2014 film for my ongoing list. It sits at the top for the time being.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.