Started by MacGuffin, February 19, 2008, 02:28:24 PM

bigperm

Apparently this is the revised cover art, in case anyone missed it

Safe As Milk

Ravi

There Will Be Fuchsia

MacGuffin

Quote from: fulty on May 04, 2008, 02:46:41 PM
Best Buy is showing a May 20 release..!!

I'm getting wet.

From The Digital Bits:

Many retailers are reporting a 5/20 street date for Paramount's Cloverfield and There Will Be Blood on Blu-ray Disc. We've spoken with the studio today, and that date is NOT correct. According to the studio, the titles will street on 6/3 as originally planned. The studio will be asking retailers to correct their dates.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

fulty

Quote from: MacGuffin on May 14, 2008, 08:42:29 PM
... the titles will street on 6/3 ...

Ooohh...Denice the Piece...and come the third of June...will be the lick of my spoon.

Soo...December, then April, then July, then May, now...

I'm not sure I can do this...with these...retailers.

I see nothing worth liking in most retailers.

Alright, look...with the stadard disk I just can't make out the Drainage Drool clearly...I mean, come on, I want to see bubbles in the slime and be able to get an accurate glob count..!!

Tinapop  

I used to be smart.... now I'm just stupid.

Alexandro

i fucking hate it. i saw this three times when it was in theatres and only when i pop in the dvd is that i get to see the film as it was intended, with the picture and sound quality that the filmmakers wanted. fucking exhibitors deserve to die in poverty. they don't give a shit about anything.

Redlum

\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

diggler

thats a lot of text
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

Redlum

Blu-ray review here:

http://www.highdefdiscnews.com/?p=950

I dont think the images are screen grabs but I just noticed; on this one you can see the monogram on Eli Sundiays hanky. I guess he was just thinking of his name one day.

The cover is reversible so you can swap it with the single-disc DVD artwork.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

fulty

Ooooohhh, Yesss..!!!

There Will Be Bubbles.

This Blu-ray is beautiful...and worth the wait...( now that it's over. )
Tinapop  

I used to be smart.... now I'm just stupid.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

john

Watching this on Blu is like a visual overdose... so fucking beautiful.

Also, I didn't know it had reversible artwork... nice touch.

Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

last days of gerry the elephant

Did anybody else get a postcard in their Blu-ray?

I wonder if there are different ones, I got one of Plainview and HW on the train. Not sure who Shin Katan is but he colorized the captures.

MacGuffin

IGN.DVD review:

http://dvd.ign.com/articles/879/879915p1.html

Quote from: omuy on June 07, 2008, 07:19:22 PM
Did anybody else get a postcard in their Blu-ray?

I wonder if there are different ones, I got one of Plainview and HW on the train. Not sure who Shin Katan is but he colorized the captures.

I did, and got the same card.

Skeleton FilmWorks

private witt

Quote from: MacGuffin on March 25, 2008, 01:49:26 PM
IGN DVD's review:
The 15 minutes of research is simply a montage to music of oil-related photographs from the era – basically, the stuff of a high-school student's report on the subject, were it that the report required a visual aid.

I know I'm "resurrecting" a dead thread, but here's my response to the IGN review, at least as it pertains to the 15 minutes section.  This was by far my favorite piece.  These were not merely oil related photographs, these were the actual photos that Jack Fisk was using as a guide for art direction.  I think this reviewer needs to go back and watch it again paying close attention to the notes written in blue pen that suggest things like "Little Boston?" on a picture of a small town or "Henry" on a photo of a man with a large 'stache.  This kind of stuff is very interesting to me because it illustrates the thought process of the filmmakers and how ideas about the look of costumes, set pieces, and lighting evolves from conception through photography.  And also to get to hear alternate versions of Johnny Greenwood's score that were not used in the film was a treat.  The plunky piano version of the main title theme was especially fun.  Finally, seeing the amount of unused B-roll that did not make the film was very interesting too.  I think we assume that there are often scenes cut out, but how often are shots like these given the light of day, and that single shot of the Sunday family sitting looking straight into the lens is quietly haunting in the way it breaks the fourth wall. 
"If you work in marketing or advertising, kill yourself.  You contribute nothing of value to the human race, just do us all a favor and end your fucking life."  ~Bill Hicks