SO FAR LAST YEAR 2007 (TWO THOUSAND AND SEVEN)

Started by cron, July 09, 2007, 09:39:28 PM

Alexandro

KATHY DIAMOND - Miss Diamond to You
WHITE STRIPES - Icky Thump

I guess it's been a great year, actually....

modage

Quote from: cronopio on July 11, 2007, 06:56:57 PM
modage, where are you??????

SORRY wilco, ryan adams, white stripes, bright eyes, interpol, fountains of wayne, bloc party, etc.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

last days of gerry the elephant

soon to come.

Stefen

So far....

10 -
Queens Of The Stone Age - Era Vulgaris

I don't like any particular song on this album, but each song has at least one small part in it that's really awesome and worth a place on a top 10. For example 1:25-2:17 of Battery Acid is killer. As is 1:12-1:42 of I'm designer. I hated the reworked version of Make It Wit Chu. The one on the last Desert Sessions is alot better.

9 -
Andrew Bird - Armchair Apocrypha

This is like genius pop. You don't feel guilty listening to this pop album because it comes off as smart and classy. Most people don't even know it's pop. He's got a fantastic voice too. Whistling is kind of dated though. Reminds me of Judy Garland for some reason.

8 -
Kinski - Down Below It's Chaos

Just really fun stoner/classic/experimental sprawl/ghost rock (okay, I made some of these genres up). Fun tracks include Punching Goodbye Out Front, Argentina Turner, & Child Had To Catch a Train. Nothing groundbreaking here, but it's alot of fun.

7 -
Wilco - Sky Blue Sky

They've done better and they've done worse, but even mediocre Wilco is better than good everything else. I think it's got a lot of great songs on it. Nothing epic, just good solid songs. Either Way, You Are My Face, Side With The Seeds, & Hate it Here are awesome. It's like hipster elevator music.

6 -
The Ponys - Turn The Lights Out

This has something for everyone. The guitar work is really awesome. If the first two tracks don't get you hyped to do something on a Friday night then your top 10 probably consists of soundtracks and audiobooks.

5 -
Battles - Mirrored

When I first heard this album, I thought it sounded awesome but I felt like a fucking nerd who draws pendulums, and handcrafts those little plastic hummingbirds that defy gravity and keep ducking their beaks into a glass of water but then I saw these guys play live and I was BLOWN AWAY and it gave me a new appreciation of the album. Seeing Tonto and Atlas live was perfection. This percusionist pounds away like he's beating a drum. The vocals, or lack thereof are still nerdy, but they fit.

4 -
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Baby 81

This IS their best album. They finally learned how to keep the grittiness but add fun, infectious melodies. Windows and Cold Wind are the two best songs they have ever made. Everything that this band had gotten close to, but never became is realized on these two tracks. Weapon Of Choice should have been the first single (was it?) because it gets you pumped and kids would eat it up.

3 -
Apostle Of Hustle - National Anthem Of Nowhere

Normally I hate Canadian bands cause they come off as self servicing (they give themselves blowjobs) and cheezy but this band is one of the lone exceptions. If someone says "What's indie music?" give them this album because it sounds like the quintessential indie album. The production is great too.

2 -
Spoon - Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga

There is absolutely nothing controversial about this album. It's easier to get into than California. It almost feels like Britt Daniel isn't even trying, he just knows he's so badass he can put the easiest songs on an album and it's gonna be top 5. I don't think he gave this album much thought cause it's so fucking simple but it sounds so fucking good. The song titles look fucking stupid with their whiteboy ebonics spellings, but the songs themselves make up for that.

1 -
The Fiery Furnaces - Widow City

This is heavenly. Theres just something in the way Eleanor Friedberger sings that I really like. I think it's the way she says her "OOOOOO's." Duplexes Of The Dead and My Egyptian Grammar are EXCELLENT. For once the weird sounds on a Fiery Furnaces album don't make my ears bleed. Everything on it sounds really cool. I had heard early versions of songs like Japanese Sleepers/Slippers and was never really impressed and felt the new album would be a misfire and they should just take a couple years off. I was glad to be proven wrong.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

I Love a Magician

Quote from: Stefen on July 22, 2007, 11:41:45 PM2 -
Spoon - Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga

There is absolutely nothing controversial about this album. It's easier to get into than California. It almost feels like Britt Daniel isn't even trying, he just knows he's so badass he can put the easiest songs on an album and it's gonna be top 5. I don't think he gave this album much thought cause it's so fucking simple but it sounds so fucking good.

that it comes off so effortlessly is part of what's so great about it, but you can tell the album was really dissected and poured over to make sure that each song was perfect. nothing's haphazard but it still comes across as this fun, off-the-cuff album.

Stefen

Oh, no doubt alot of work went into making the songs sound like they were easy. It's like being the only guy who's running a 10,000 person marathon backwards, and coming in second. 

Gamblour.

Of Montreal - Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer?

Arcade Fire - Neon Bible and The Shins - whatever its called -- from what I've heard in the car, these are good

QOTSA - Era Vulgaris

Explosions in the Sky - All of a Sudden, I Miss Everyone

Deerhunter - Cryptograms  -- if only for the title track

Way disappointed with Kings of Leon and Clap Your Hands Say Yeah.
WWPTAD?

modage

SORRY wilco, ryan adams, rilo kiley, band of horses, bright eyes, interpol, ted leo + the pharmacists, kings of leon, etc.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

10. Electric Wizard - Witchcult Today

9. MV & EE - Gettin' Gone

8. Bill Callahan - Woke Up On A Whaleheart

7. Crippled Black Phoenix - A Love Of Shared Disasters

6. Animal Collective - Strawberry Jam

5. Dan Deacon - Spiderman Of The Rings

4. Panda Bear - Person Pitch

3. Battles - Mirrored

2. Behold... The Arctopus - Skullgrid

1. Pelican - City of Echoes

And the rough edits from this year suggest that "Brian Jonestown Massacre - My Bloody Underground" will be on next year's list.

Runner up: Yacht - I Believe In You.  Your Magic Is Real
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

brockly

top five..

in rainbows - radiohead
volta - bjork
neon bible - arcade fire
icky thump - white stripes
strawberry jam - animal collective

Chest Rockwell

No particular order:
Feist - The Reminder
Deerhunter- Cryptograms
of Montreal - Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer?
Animal Collective - Strawberry Jam
Spoon - Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga (I agree with Stefen and Magician  :yabbse-thumbup:)
Arcade Fire - Neon Bible

Pubrick

albums are overrated these days, along with indie bullshit.

top five #1 pop tracks '07
1. no one - alicia
2. stronger - kanye
3. ayo technology - 50
4. girlfriend - avril
5. umbrella - rihanna
under the paving stones.

1.I(videotape)
2.N(jigsaw falling into place)

3.R(15 step)
4.A(weird fishes)
5.I(all i need)
6.N(nude)
7.B(reckoner)
8.O(faust arp)
9.W(bodysnatchers)
10.S(house of cards)

context, context, context.

mogwai

best release of 2007:

kleerup feat. robyn "with every heartbeat". .