SAMUEL FULLER RETROSPECTIVES (The Gold Trumpet & eward)

Started by Jeremy Blackman, March 31, 2005, 12:27:57 AM

Jeremy Blackman

FULLER'S INFERNO by The Gold Trumpet

GROWING UP FULLER by eward

kotte

Both are good.

But being someone who knows nothing about Fuller, I appreciated eward's a bit more.

Fuller was a fascinating man and filmmaker.
I see a similarity between him and Cassavetes. Not their films, haven't seen anything of either but their personalities, the truthfulness to their persons.

modage

yes, good articles guys.  the bits i've seen of him talking (on the Pickup DVD), and of his films (firstly in the Scorsese Journey DVD, then) Naked Kiss, Pickup On South Street and Shock Corridor, make him seem like a really interesting man.  what was amazing for me, is that i had seen Naked Kiss first and liked it for a low budget pulpy 60s movie and figured that THAT was what he did.  i was amazed when i watched Pickup to see that he also had made really slick crime noir with great production and acting all around as well .  i was really curious to see how that happened in 10 years and i'm glad your articles touched on that a little bit.  GT, i appreciate what he was trying to do with Shock Corridor, but i still didnt think the movie was very good.  i'll be interested to see more though.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.