Overrated Directors?

Started by j_scott_stroup04, December 17, 2003, 06:24:57 PM

Pubrick

i think what u mean is "overpraised".
under the paving stones.

bonanzataz

Quote from: El ScorchozBut 2001 in particular is just one film I won't go along with.  I have a strong suspicion 90% of the people who claim they like it, truly don't. I just think it's easy to read a bunch of reviews and articles on why the movie is great and then claim that you saw the same qualities in it. It's an easy movie to claim to like because most mainstream audiences don't, and it's no secret film buffs love liking films that are said to be challenging.

that's bullshit. that's like P's argument that said the only reason people liked kill bill was b/c quentin made it. such crap. i watch 2001 all the time. do i do it so i can tell all my non-existent cool film friends that i watched it? no. i watch it b/c i enjoy it. same reason i saw kill bill 2 three times and kill bill 1 about 20. the movies give me enjoyment. if there are people out there who really dislike those movies and just like them b/c other people do, good for them, they're just afraid. but to say 90% of the people who say they like the film really hate it is just idiocy. you don't have to like the movie, i don't think any less of you for not liking it. i love it and could watch it 500 more times before getting sick of it.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

El Scorchoz

Quote from: bonanzataz
Quote from: El ScorchozBut 2001 in particular is just one film I won't go along with.  I have a strong suspicion 90% of the people who claim they like it, truly don't. I just think it's easy to read a bunch of reviews and articles on why the movie is great and then claim that you saw the same qualities in it. It's an easy movie to claim to like because most mainstream audiences don't, and it's no secret film buffs love liking films that are said to be challenging.

that's bullshit. that's like P's argument that said the only reason people liked kill bill was b/c quentin made it. such crap. i watch 2001 all the time. do i do it so i can tell all my non-existent cool film friends that i watched it? no. i watch it b/c i enjoy it. same reason i saw kill bill 2 three times and kill bill 1 about 20. the movies give me enjoyment. if there are people out there who really dislike those movies and just like them b/c other people do, good for them, they're just afraid. but to say 90% of the people who say they like the film really hate it is just idiocy. you don't have to like the movie, i don't think any less of you for not liking it. i love it and could watch it 500 more times before getting sick of it.

I don't think you can compare the two. Kill Bill is fun and entertaining at the very least. 2001 just sucks.
Who snatched Lilo's coffee???

El Scorchoz

Quote from: SoNowThenWhy?

He'd jizz his pants over what you just posted.  :wink:

Is Ray Carney the guy who just likes avant garde, no plot kind of movies?
Who snatched Lilo's coffee???

SoNowThen

Well, I guess, Kinda. He loves Cassavetes. And that's about it. Though he talks about some guy named Mark Rappaport all the time, too.

I was just reading some of his stuff today. Basically he rags on Kubrick and Welles, and says LA Confidential and Pulp Fiction are pieces of shit. Kinda funny, but damn do I disagree.

You may argue that 2001 is pretentious, overbearing, confused, even boring... but if you're not in the least bit awed at Kurick's control of framing and pace, then you have no soul, imo. Carney dismisses pure form as being kitschy, therefore he refuses to admire it in any director -- it would seem anyway... I guess avant-garde cheapo productions are just as much a form as anything...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

bonanzataz

Quote from: El ScorchozI don't think you can compare the two. Kill Bill is fun and entertaining at the very least. 2001 just sucks.

not my point. you're arguing that i don't really like 2001, i only think i do b/c everybody else does, but i don't need you to tell me what i like or don't like. thank you.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: El Scorchoz. 2001 just sucks.

...sorry for the large pic but 2001, besides being my fav. kubrick film, also has the most kick ass pipmed out poster ever...

el scorchoz, just b/c you don t like this film doesn t mean it 'sucks'....

Julius Orange

Shrek (is an overrated director)

EDIT: Thanks
email your opinnumber to NEW EMAIL juliusorange@gmail.com

Alethia

shrek is an overrated director?

Julius Orange

email your opinnumber to NEW EMAIL juliusorange@gmail.com

ElPandaRoyal

Si

Alethia

El Duderino

what did Shrek direct?
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

mutinyco

2001 is the greatest motion picture of the 20th Century. Period. It was the apex.

It singularly advanced the medium on just about every level, aesthetically, conceptually and technically. It bridged the ground between avant gard and mainstream success. And its story and ideas, in terms of seriously attempting to deal with man's evolution and his place within the universe, are larger than any other film.

This was IT.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: El Duderinowhat did Shrek direct?

Quote from: Julius OrangeSorry.

Thanks
Si