Summer gigs

Started by Jack Sparrow, May 12, 2003, 11:56:53 AM

Kev Hoffman

White Stripes July 5

Kev Hoffman

Also seeing Wilco, Blues Traveler, Foo Fighters (Pete Yorn opening), and Tom Petty between June 26-July 7.

mogwai

nick no longer a queen

queens of the stone age bassist nick oliveri has left the band. internet speculation has been rife for some days that a parting of ways between oliveri and qotsa mainman josh homme was on the cards, a now an official statement has confirmed the news. the statement reads: "a number of incidents occurring over the last 18 months have led to the decision that the two can no longer maintain a working partnership in the band." mtv reports that screaming trees bassist van conner has been drafted in to replace oliveri, but speaking to nme.com yesterday (february 11), homme said he hadn't even thought about a replacement yet. homme is currently on tour in the uk drumming with side project eagles of death metal. they supported the distillers at an nme awards show at london brixton academy last night (february 11).

Sigur Rós

According to Mtv the replacement will be Screaming Trees bassist Van Conner

mogwai

Quote from: Sigur RósAccording to Mtv the replacement will be Screaming Trees bassist Van Conner

uh hum!

Quote from: m©gwaimtv reports that screaming trees bassist van conner has been drafted in to replace oliveri, but speaking to nme.com yesterday (february 11), homme said he hadn't even thought about a replacement yet.

Sigur Rós

The truth is I never learned to read.

mogwai

Quote from: Sigur RósThe truth is I never learned to read.
but i love you anyway.

Myxo

I have a cousin who lives down in Long Beach. I'll be getting tickets for this on Saturday.

http://www.coachella.com/main.html

mogwai

Quote from: MyxomatosisI have a cousin who lives down in Long Beach. I'll be getting tickets for this on Saturday.
you should buy a ticket for sunday too because mogwai will be playing. :yabbse-grin:

Myxo

Quote from: m©gwai
Quote from: MyxomatosisI have a cousin who lives down in Long Beach. I'll be getting tickets for this on Saturday.
you should buy a ticket for sunday too because mogwai will be playing. :yabbse-grin:

I meant I'm buying them on Saturday. I'll be in attendance all weekend.

:)

mogwai

i need to get a pair of glasses really soon, don't forget to see mogwai though!

MacGuffin

Morrissey among Lollapalooza acts

NASHVILLE -- Morrissey, Flaming Lips, Sonic Youth and String Cheese Incident are among the acts confirmed for the 2004 Lollapalooza tour.

This year's event will mark the debut of a two-day format and a more diverse musical lineup. Tour founder Perry Farrell will also be involved as a DJ or host, although his band Jane's Addiction is not expected to be on the bill. Offers are also out to such acts as Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Le Tigre and the Fire Theft.

"The only theme to the whole thing is eclectic music not driven by the commercial marketplace," says Marc Geiger, the agent for Lollapalooza at the William Morris Agency, one of the founders of the festival. "Lollapalooza is different from year to year, if you look at it historically. Some years it was more indie, some years more dark."

Two days means more bands, Geiger points out. "There are just too many great bands, and the one-day rock festival with 13 acts format has been co-opted by the radio shows," he says. "What we're doing is more akin to the great European festivals that originally inspired Lollapalooza, as well as Coachella and Bonnaroo. The two-day format will once again differentiate Lollapalooza from what everybody else is doing."

The pioneering rock festival returned after a five-year absence in 2003 and grossed $13.7 million from 25 shows reported to Billboard Boxscores. The lineup featured Jane's Addiction, Queens Of The Stone Age, Incubus, Audioslave, the Donnas and A Perfect Circle, among others. High production costs led to the cancellation of two shows at nontraditional venues, but most dates performed relatively well.

But with the 2003 outing somewhat less than a home run, why come back with a two-day fest?

"This year has nothing to do with last year," says Geiger, who did not work on last year's show. "We're moving forward and offering more value. Ticket prices are looking to come significantly down from last year."

Farrell launched Lollapalooza in 1991 with a bill that featured the final appearances of Jane's Addiction until the group reunited in 1997. The tour's best year was 1994, when it reported more than $21 million in grosses. The last year before the hiatus, 1997, was its weakest, with $7.4 million reported from 24 shows with Snoop Dogg, Korn, Tool, Tricky and others.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pedro

hahah string cheese doesn't seem to belong there

Stefen

Lolla is shaping up pretty well. Sonic Youth although over the hill still has fire.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

mogwai

did anyone here attend the coachella festival?