Magnolia Blvd?

Started by kassius, January 06, 2004, 05:39:21 PM

kassius

I had heard something before about "Magnolia Blvd" and its connection with PTA movies.  Was "Magnolia Blvd", the street in "Boogie Nights" where the night club was located and the street where Dirk gets attacked by a group of people in the middle of a parking lot?  Is it also the street where in "Magnolia", Donnie is first working and where the frogs first fall?  And in "Punch Drunk Love", is it the street where Barry's business is and where the panio arrives?

If so, I want to say that is so awesome!  I mean, I know of directors like Kevin Smith who use towns (Redbank, NJ) for a lot of his movies but to use a street? That is awesome.

I don't live in California and can't recognize any landmarks in the any of his films to put two-and-two together.

Thanks.

PS:  Not worth starting a seperate post on, but the group of people who beat up Dirk in "Boogie Nights"... are these the "Blonde Brothers" from PDL?  For the longest time I thought they were.

MacGuffin

Quote from: ckad79I had heard something before about "Magnolia Blvd" and its connection with PTA movies.  Was "Magnolia Blvd", the street in "Boogie Nights" where the night club was located and the street where Dirk gets attacked by a group of people in the middle of a parking lot?  Is it also the street where in "Magnolia", Donnie is first working and where the frogs first fall?  And in "Punch Drunk Love", is it the street where Barry's business is and where the panio arrives?

All your questions answered here:
http://xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=2706

Quote from: ckad79PS:  Not worth starting a seperate post on, but the group of people who beat up Dirk in "Boogie Nights"... are these the "Blonde Brothers" from PDL?

No.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

boombanglarrabee

Solomon & Solomon (where Donnie works) is actually a furniture store on Sherman Way and Reseda Blvds. in Reseda.  Dirk is attacked right down the street on Sherman Way just past a little street called Darby.  It would appear PTA likes Sherman Way more than Magnolia.

Eckhart Auto Body and the bldg. where Barry works is on Canoga in Chatsworth.

kassius

swimmingly

Quote from: boombanglarrabeeSolomon & Solomon (where Donnie works) is actually a furniture store on Sherman Way and Reseda Blvds. in Reseda.  Dirk is attacked right down the street on Sherman Way just past a little street called Darby.  It would appear PTA likes Sherman Way more than Magnolia.

Eckhart Auto Body and the bldg. where Barry works is on Canoga in Chatsworth.

Aw, Chatsworth...ah, Boogie Nights...Did he shoot a lot of that there?

boombanglarrabee

I don't think any of BN was shot in Chatsworth.

TheVoiceOfNick

Yeah, most everything on the street in PTA movies was shot on Sherman Way in Reseda... Miss Donuts (donut shop in BN) is also on Sherman Way.

Quote from: TheVoiceOfNickYeah, most everything on the street in PTA movies was shot on Sherman Way in Reseda... Miss Donuts (donut shop in BN) is also on Sherman Way.

mmmm.... donuts...
context, context, context.

mogwai

Sleuth

I like to hug dogs

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: mogwaiyuck.
That's the problem with Europeans, they don't know how to kill themselves with food.

molly

i don't know how can you eat that, they are full of oil.

SoNowThen

And fat, and sugar.

Take my word for it, they're delicious!
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Pozer

Quote from: ckad79Thanks.

hey ckad, where's that building on your av located?

MacGuffin

Quote from: poserismshey ckad, where's that building on your av located?

AHEM!!

Quote from: MacGuffinAll your questions answered here:
http://xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=2706
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks