all about lily chou chou

Started by pete, December 09, 2005, 06:22:38 PM

pete

I just saw this again.  The first time I wasn't feeling it, kinda had my arms crossed the whole way,  but I just saw it again and this movie was great!  I checked out most of the reviews and most reviewers didn't like it 'cause it was "hard to follow" but I thought it was quite simple.  It was so haunting and disturbing and good.  It had a lot of balls, both stylistically (shooting most of the night scenes by casting like a green night light) and thematically, and contained some really really beautiful images, not to mention the music.
I like dark movies about the loss of innocent in general, but this movie is almost wrestling and fighting just to hold onto the little bit of innocence.  For serious.
Anyone else seen it?
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

The Perineum Falcon

I saw this a while ago and thought it was shot extraordinarily well.
I remember liking it, but felt it was too long for its own good. :yabbse-undecided:
An hour or so less would've benefitted the film, I felt.

I would've replied sooner had my computer let me reply at home.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.