Any Smashing Pumpkins fans out there?

Started by Teddy, May 09, 2003, 11:31:49 PM

Teddy

They are virtually all I listen to.  I was wondering it anyone else is in the same boat.
"I saved Latin.  What did you ever do?"

European Son

Absoultely. They're still one of my favorites and I expect they always will be. I never got to see them live, but I did get to see Billy a month ago on Zwan's U.S. tour. I caught Billy's pick when he threw it, giving me a fine little piece of rock memorbilia.

Sleuth

Smashing Pumkins will go down as one of the greatest rock bands of all time.  Billy Corgan is a genius.  So yeah, I like them.
I like to hug dogs

Teddy

Glad to know there are some people who listen to them.  I'd be willing to call them one of the most underrated rock bands of all time as well as one of the best.

Adore is sorely misunderstood, but I love it.  I also love the darker side of MACHINA, as heard in songs like "Glass and the Ghost Machines" and "Blue Skies Bring Tears".

What do you guys think of MACHINA II?

Sleuth

I never downloaded it, so I wouldn't know
I like to hug dogs

cowboykurtis

i went to darcy's wedding -- it was fun.
...your excuses are your own...

Ghostboy

I didn't like either Machina album, but the rest are all great. I got kinda worn out on them towards the end, partially because I listened to them so much. I saw them twice, once on the Melon Collie tour and then once on their farewell tour. That last one wasn't very enjoyable.

Adore is my favorite album of theirs by far. Really really really underrated and brilliant.

Sigur Rós

I'm the biggest SP fan in the world! I'm serious.  :-D

Sleuth

Quote from: Sigur RósI'm the biggest SP fan in the world! I'm serious.  :-D

QUESTION FOR SIGUR ROS

does Set The Ray To Jerry remind you of Njosnavelin or am I just insane
I like to hug dogs

Teddy

I don't believe it.

Listen to MACHINA again.  Listen to "Glass and the Ghost Machines", "Blue Skies Bring Tears", "This Time", "With Every Light", and "Age of Innosence".  That stuff is great.

I'm not a huge fan of MACHINA II.  Although it's probably my least favorite of their albums, it's got some real gems.  The alternate version of "Try" is one of my favorite SP songs ever.  I also like the alternate "Heavy Metal Machine".  It's some great grungy sounding techno.

Does anyone have a "The Aeroplane Flies High" Box Set they want to sell?  I need one.

Sigur Rós

Quote from: tremolosloth
Quote from: Sigur RósI'm the biggest SP fan in the world! I'm serious.  :-D

QUESTION FOR SIGUR ROS

does Set The Ray To Jerry remind you of Njosnavelin or am I just insane

maybe the guitarsound is kind of similar. I can't really see any obvious connection....but you're not insane though  :wink:

Kev Hoffman

Mellon Collie & The Infinite Sadness, Siamese Dream, Adore, and Machina I are great, the rest, I think, can go.

phil marlowe

the smashing pumpkins used to be my favourite band, but through time i kinda lost the interrest. i do still enjoy adore, mellon collie and siamese dreams once in a while. zwan though, keeps a distance.

Teddy

I need The Aeroplane Flies High.  Where can I get it for cheap?

My favorite SP songs are (in no order):

Try (alt)
Heavy Metal Machine (alt)
Glass and the Ghost Children
Blue Skies Bring Tears
Rhinoceros
Thirty-Three
Porcelina of the Vast Oceans
The Aeroplane Flies High
Today
Rocket
Spaceboy
The Tale of Dusty and Pistol Pete
Blank Page
Cherub Rock
Zero
Sparrow
Glass' Theme
Tonite, Tonite
Eye
Ava Adore
Plume
Pissant
Obscured
Thru the Eyes of Ruby

There are many others, but those are the ones that stick out in my mind right now.

children with angels

Dude! Where's

Stumbleine (Best song top play on guitar late, drunk, in front of a fire)
Galopogos ("Ain't it funny how we pretend we're still a child?" COME ON!)
By Starlight (Aaaaaaaaah...)
Luna (Beautiful: "I'm in love with you, I'm in love with you, I'm in love with you...")
Cupid de locke (favourite of all time)
Mayonnaise (former ultimate teenage angst track for me)
Frewell and Goodnight (Fall asleep forever to this song...)   ?

For me, Melon Collie is definitely their best album, no question. They so wonderfully make a whole world out of their music on it - you don't ever want to leave... Also, one of the most musically varied albums of all time.
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/