Peter Sellers

Started by meatball, July 10, 2004, 11:40:06 PM

meatball

GENIUS. I watched Lolita recently, and Sellers absolutely shines. I was almost spilling my intenstines out with laughter just from the expression on his face when he's dancing with his partner.

Kal

'Being There' is one of the best films he ever made

Redlum

Quote from: anditok'Being There' is one of the best films he ever made

I just watched this the other day and thought it was pretty great. Cool ending. I got a Chaplin vibe from him.

What other Sellers films would people recommend? I've seen The Ladykillers, Being There, and Strangelove of course.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

mogwai

Quote from: ®edlumWhat other Sellers films would people recommend?

Redlum

Cheers. The Region 2 isnt out until September, though.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Kal

hahaha, the party is also excellent... you just see the cover and you know it

mogwai

and there's this one...

...but i wouldn't recommend it because it features a scene where A PUMA FOR REAL EATS UP A DOG!!!!! other than that there's a funny scene where sellers taunts a auctioneer.

meatball

Quote from: mogwai...but i wouldn't recommend it because it features a scene where A PUMA FOR REAL EATS UP A DOG!!!!! other than that there's a funny scene where sellers taunts a auctioneer.

Wow. That's harsh.

But, recommending against it is like telling a kid not to pick his nose.

mogwai

nah, see it if you want to. there's even cameos from john lennon and yoko ono if that's your thing.

Just Withnail

Now that's an interesting cast if I ever saw one.

classical gas

i like him, but i hate when he says stuff like this:

"If you ask me to play myself, I will not know what to do. I do not know who or what I am."

"I writhe when I see myself on the screen. I'm such a dreadfully clumsy hulking image. I say to myself, 'Why doesn't he get off? Why doesn't he get off?' I mean, I look like such an idiot. Some fat awkward thing dredged up from some third-rate drama company. I must stop thinking about it, otherwise I shan't be able to go on working."

(paraphrasing) "Off screen, I have no personality at all."

I understand what he's saying(well in regards to myself, i suppose), but it's just sad to hear (read) him saying it all.

picolas

just to mention GOON SHOW

classical gas

holy crap; your emphasis on the title made me realize you weren't talking about the gong show(which i thought in your post on the joke thread)....never heard of the goon show...sorry...

mogwai

the goon show was a... heh.. show where sellers and a couple of buddies goofed off. i think it was a show that was recorded/produced by george martin. and all of the members of the beatles grew up listening to that show. and later they recorded with georgie. sounds like a cool six degrees shit to me. and to make the whole thing go around sellers and ringo made a movie (NOT directed by george martin though). correct me if i wrong, picolas.

picolas

Quote from: mogwaicorrect me if i wrong, picolas.
yeah, that's it.

didn't know about the Beatles. that's really cool. same here.

they weren't just goofing off, though.. the shows were scripted by Spike Milligan and feautred astoundingly funny stories and characters. it makes me feel really strange and bad when i meet Peter Sellers fans who've never heard of it, which is every Peter Sellers fan i've ever met. i still think it's the absolute funniest thing. it's the peak.

kazaa d/l an episode today.