How can I get this crazy special effect "live" for

Started by DigitalFriend, July 24, 2003, 02:24:16 PM

DigitalFriend

Hi,

Crazy question.  I'm shooting a film and at one point this guy is shooting at an animal (this is  slapstick comedy mind you) and he shoots over a bush and we see stuffing shoot out the side of the bush.  Y'know just cotton stuffing that you'd use in a pillow.

What could I use to achieve this effect?  How can I "shoot it out" if you will...

Thanks,

Bobby Miller
Bobby@riggedproductions.com
www.riggedproductions.com

MacGuffin

My idea would be like a 'ice cream push-up pop' concept. You get a open-ended tube and pack it with cotton and feathers, etc. Then you need a plunger of some sort that is just smaller around than the tube. It needs to be tight enough so that no air can get in. Then just at the moment, you push up the plunger. Slam it hard so it forces all the packed stuffing out. Maybe a nearby fan could help the cotton to float and fly away.

Just an idea.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

***beady***

I'd get an old bicycle pump or a lilo pump, and a plastic bottle with the bottom cut away. Tape the plastic bottle (narrow end) to the pump. Fill bottle with fluff and feathers etc, and give one hefty, sharp and quick squeeze on the pump!

jokerspath

You could also possibly fill like a dog or a cat (hell, even a chicken) with cotton and feathers and shoot it with a pistol or shotgun of some sort.  Just a suggestion...

aw
THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

Jake_82

your reality is at the end of your dream

TheVoiceOfNick

The best way to do this is to fill a tube with the material you want to shoot out, then attach a compressor nozzle on the other end. When the compressor end is air-tight, and the psi is up high enough, just shoot the compressor and the material will fly out like you wouldn't believe!

Nick