Pulp fiction vs. reservoir dogs...

Started by nevereven, April 02, 2003, 06:01:53 AM

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: CinephileI, too, once again fully agree with GT.

Savor it while it lasts

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

cine

seems like theres some tension towards me around here.

Pedro

Quote from: Cinephileseems like theres some tension towards me around here.

Nay, these are pants.

cine

I knew I shouldn't have bought these.

bonanzataz

Quote from: budgieTight and hard are good.

:shock: ...  :wink:
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Sigur Rós

I'm in love with Jackson's character!  :oops:
I love all the fuckin' dialoges in Pulpfiction!

The path of the righteous man is beset on
                      all sides by the inequities of the
                      selfish and the tyranny of evil
                      men.  Blessed is he who, in the
                      name of charity and good will,
                      shepherds the weak through the
                      valley of darkness, for he is truly
                      his brother's keeper and the finder
                      of lost children.  And I will
                      strike down upon thee with great
                      vengeance and furious anger those
                      who attempt to poison and destroy
                      my brothers.  And you will know my
                      name is the Lord when I lay my
                      vengeance upon you.  :twisted:

Recce

It's tough, but I have to go with Pulp Fiction. In many ways, Pulp Fiction is like an improved version of Reservoir Dogs. Tarantino learned from the first film and made the second. Much like Wes Anderson with Rushmore and The Royal Tennenbaums. The second works better as a whole then the first.
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")

cine

I fully agree with you on that. While I admired a lot from both RD and "Rushmore", I loved the next films a lot more. Now we just have to see if they'll one-up themselves again. I'm sure they will. (Tarantino did with JB but I'm sure he will up that with KB)

Raikus

I'll hold the dissenting opinion on this (first time for everything, huh?). I thought Rushmore was a much better film than Royal Tennenbaums. I loved both, but Rushmore had the better script and was more fulfilling as a movie.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Recce

Quote from: RaikusI'll hold the dissenting opinion on this (first time for everything, huh?). I thought Rushmore was a much better film than Royal Tennenbaums. I loved both, but Rushmore had the better script and was more fulfilling as a movie.
Really? I thought Royal Tennebaums was much more fulfilling. It was way more emotional and funny at the same time. The characters were far more believable in my opinion(as believable as characters like that can be). Plus, from a strictly aesthetic perspective, I found his style of cutting away to a static shot of a stamp collection, etc. worked way better in Royal Tennebaums. It struck me as more of an extension of the film, whereas I found it was just put in more cause it looked cool in Rushmore.
Although, I did see Royal Tennebaums before Rushmore, so that might be biaising me a bit.
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")

Raikus

I see exactly where you're coming from. I'm not saying Rushmore is far and away a better movie, I'm just saying that I enjoyed Rushmore more than RT because of its story and the way it all came together for me as a movie. Technically speaking, RT is the better movie (from a directing and cinematography standpoint), but I loved Schwartzman's character much more than Hackman's. Plus I usually am keen on leading character, linear movies more than movies with ensemble casts.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

cine

Speaking of which, isn't the cinematography beautiful?? The most memorable shot in the entire film for me is Mordecai flying while the camera follows him to the tune of "Hey Jude".

Gold Trumpet

I also think Rushmore is the better film of both Wes Anderson films, even when I don't like Rushmore all that much anyways and dislike it even more when on thought afterwords. I'm going to get hell for it, but I'm going to post a new review of The Royal Tennebaums and bash it big time. Sometime soon that will happen.

~rougerum

ShanghaiOrange

Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2