Filmmakers with a very consistent filmography or 4+ film stretches of greatness

Started by SailorOfTheSeas, May 17, 2014, 09:40:38 AM

SailorOfTheSeas

Here to discuss filmmakers that have yet to make a less than good film, or have periods in their career where they were on a 4 film plus streak of greatness! Here are some in my opinion.

Obviously PTA:
1. Hard Eight
2. Boogie Nights
3. Magnolia
4. Punch-Drunk Love
5. There Will Be Blood
6. The Master

And somehow I've got a pretty good feeling that Inherent Vice will continue this streakk...

Park Chan Wook:
1. Joint Security Area
2. Sympathy for Mr Vengeance
3. Oldboy
4. Lady Vengeance
5. I'm a Cyborg but that's OK
6. Thirst
7. Stoker

Stoker is probably my least favourite but it still isn't less than a good film.  JSA is also slightly less than great, although is still very good. Everything else is perfect

Post Lolita Stanley Kubrick:

7. Dr Strangelove
8. 2001
9. A Clockwork Orange
10. Barry Lyndon
11. The Shining
12. Full Metal Jacket
13. Eyes Wide Shut

Other filmakers that have a pretty consistent filmography imo include Wes Anderson, QT, Darren Aronofsky. They havent made a proper shit film yet but somehow don;t transcend in ways that the ones ive listed do.

Jeremy Blackman

I'll get some obvious ones out of the way...

Lynch's entire modern filmography:

Blue Velvet
Wild At Heart
Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
Lost Highway
The Straight Story
Mulholland Drive
Inland Empire

Lars Von Trier (until this year) had one of the greatest stretches ever, just one masterpiece after another:

Breaking the Waves
Dancer in the Dark
Dogville
Manderlay
Antichrist
Melancholia

Include his less serious stuff if you want, and it's still consistent: The Idiots, The Five Obstructions, The Boss of It All.

Fuzzy Dunlop

Coppola had a legendary 4 film stretch --

The Godfather
The Conversation
The Godfather part II
The Apocalypse Now

Spike Jonze is 4 for 4 as far as I'm concerned --

Being John Malcovich
Adaptation
Where the Wild Things Are
Her

Gus Van Sant --

Gerry
Elephant
Last Days
Paranoid Park
Milk

Mel

I don't think I care. Some of my favorite films were made by very inconsistent directors to the point where you can call some of them one-trick-ponies, example: I adore "Get Carter", but I don't think Mike Hodges made anything close to it again. More relevant and better example (for Xixax purposes) is probably Altman - had a lot of ups and downs.

Kubrick and PTA (so far) are some of the least prolific directors. On the other hand how do you apply such category to directors like Bergman? You don't need to like him, but he made more than 40 features, how many good/great streaks he had?

And then you have directors who made great trilogies/triptychs: Antonioni or Kieslowski anyone? How do you categorize this?

As much I love some of the film of Kurosawa, Mifune is half of the story in my opinion. They worked together on 16 films - some better than others. Yet is compelling to see them all only for Mifune "sake". There are more collaborations like this.

I'm not sure how this helps with discussion, I have problem with making any kind of lists. There are folks here that are way more cinema literate than me and I will leave lists such as demanded by topic to them.
Simple mind - simple pleasures...

jenkins

preston sturges --
the great mcginty
christmas in july
the lady eve
sullivan's travels
the palm beach story
the miracle of morgan's creek
hail the conquering hero

charlie chaplin--
a woman of paris
the gold rush
the circus
city lights
modern times
the great dictator
monsieur verdoux
limelight

john cassavetes --
faces
husbands
minnie and moskowitz
a woman under the influence
the killing of a chinese bookie
opening night
gloria
love streams

Jeremy Blackman

Todd Solondz managed to hit four:

Welcome to the Dollhouse
Happiness
Storytelling
Palindromes

This was a great stretch for Almodovar:

Live Flesh
All About My Mother
Talk To Her
Bad Education

jenkins

that thing i've done before, where i confess examples of mentioned names which i think are wonderful, and they coulda been there on my own list: van sant, kieslowski, almodovar