Superman Returns

Started by MacGuffin, January 16, 2003, 10:28:43 AM

MacGuffin

Victor Webster Top Contender for Superman

According to Variety, 30-year-old Mutant X star Victor Webster is one the top contenders for Warner Bros.' Superman.

A former regular on the soap Days of Our Lives, the Canadian actor also has a tiny role in Bringing Down The House, the upcoming Disney comedy starring Steve Martin and Queen Latifah.

He's hardly a household name, but Warners liked his test, says the trade. More significantly, it also likes the fact that he's willing to sign up for two pre-negotiated sequels which has been a sticking point for some better-known actors, including Josh Hartnett, Jude Law, Brendan Fraser and Ashton Kutcher.

However, Webster needs to leap a few more tall buildings on the way to locking the gig, says Variety. Not only is the studio still testing actors, but Warners would really like a big name to put the "S" on his chest.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

life_boy

He reminds me of....

I think it's the hair.

Victor

Quote from: MacGuffin Webster Top Contender for Superman

ok now im excited.
are you gonna eat with us too?

©brad

MacGuffin

Zentertainment reports that Lara Flynn Boyle is the frontrunner to play Lois Lane in Brett Ratner's "Superman" movie - "As it stands right now, Boyle is the strongest candidate to get the part" says their contact who is ahead of the likes of Lucy Liu, Catherine Zeta Jones, Julianna Margulies and Cameron Diaz for the part. Also Ratner considered but has turned down the idea of Gene Hackman returning to play Lex Luthor: "While he respects Hackman as an actor, he feels that the film needs some fresh blood in order to rejuvenate the long dead franchise. Another idea was to go with an unknown. Ratner liked this as well but he did not want to face the same backlash George Lucas faced when he cast Hayden Christensen as the future Darth Vader in Attack of the Clones last year".
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Raikus

So because Lucas casted a crappy actor that happened to be unknown, all unknown actors suck?

That's great theory.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

life_boy

Of course, Ratner's definition of "unknown" might differ from ours'.  He liked the idea of going with the "unknown" actor Ralph Fiennes when he was casting Red Dragon.

Duck Sauce

Quote from: MacGuffinWhile he respects Hackman as an actor, he feels that the film needs some fresh blood in order to rejuvenate the long dead franchise.

Ratner makes such good decesions. Greatest director of his generation.

©brad

I sense a mega-flop in the works. I'm talking Godzilla meets Waterworld kind of flop.

Just out of curiosity, what's the biggest flop to date? Waterworld would be my guess...

Gold Trumpet

One thing can keep this movie from making a ton of money, and thats bad press on it by the fan boy armies around the world. They get scripts, review them and post it on websites and the word is instantly out that 15% of the movie's audience is pissed because royalty (Superman) is being hacked away by a hack (Brett Ratner). Or a passable (bad, but not ridiculously bad) can be made and fan boys everywhere will proclaim it the true second coming.

~rougerum

MacGuffin

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetOne thing can keep this movie from making a ton of money, and thats bad press on it by the fan boy armies around the world.

And here's more: Ratner casts himself as Superman!!!
Click here to see.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gold Trumpet

with ratner, I believed it at first read but knew it was fake after and was glad to find out it was just that with the link. But prevail fan boy armies in destroying this project, prevail.

~rougerum

Derek

Although I'm generally not a fan of his movies, I think Superman and Michael Bay would be a match made in heaven. Bay's got the flag-waving patriotism down flat, and Superman IS the American hero. I mean at least he has that. What has Ratner ever contributed besides rolling the camera while Chris Tucker ad-libs some truly lame-ass dialogue, patches all that lame-ass shit together and produces a chuckle here-ooh, look at Jackie do all those far out moves while stuntmen wait around for their cues to fall down whenever he runs sideways on a bus' windows. Ratner. Ratner. And I hate his name too.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

Duck Sauce

Quote from: Derekand Superman IS the American hero.

What about Captain America?  :(

Derek

Captain America is a middling super-hero. Along the same lines of Daredevil but above The Punisher.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.