Magnolia ?

Started by ibelyias, July 07, 2003, 06:35:13 PM

ibelyias

In the midst of all the JB/BAM/PDL DVD chatter, I thought I'd ask a question in hopes of having someone(s) answer them.

On the supplemental disc for Magnolia, in the Diary section, when PTA is in what looks like a theatre with some people that I do not know, what is he talking about with them, and who exactly is he talking to?  This is towards the beginning.  He mentions that the film is going to be among the 10 best... not sure what else to say.

It seems like I had more questions to ask but I can't think of them now.  Any help on what is going on in this part of the Diary would be oh-so-appreciated!

ibelyias

MacGuffin

In that part of the documentary, PTA is holding a screening session of the film "Network". Filmmakers usually view films before production starts and invite the key crew members (cinematographer, production designer, wardrobe, etc.) to watch as a way for the director to show an inspiration of the kind of film they going for (look, feel, cinematography, etc.) when they shoot theirs.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ibelyias

Thanks for the help.  So, can I gather from your post that "Network" was highest on the list for PTA's film inspirations for Magnolia?

Myxo

Quote from: MacGuffinIn that part of the documentary, PTA is holding a screening session of the film "Network". Filmmakers usually view films before production starts and invite the key crew members (cinematographer, production designer, wardrobe, etc.) to watch as a way for the director to show an inspiration of the kind of film they going for (look, feel, cinematography, etc.) when they shoot theirs.

I always wondered what he screened for them.

I think Nashville had a pretty big impact on him too.

MacGuffin

Quote from: ibelyiasThanks for the help.  So, can I gather from your post that "Network" was highest on the list for PTA's film inspirations for Magnolia?

Well, the subject matter and characters are similar (as PTA relates to the crew), in the sense of the characters of Jimmy Gator and Earl Partridge are old TV men and "Network" is a movie about old men and women in TV. Plus, like PTA says, it's a damn fine movie and a great screenplay.

After the screening, when PTA talks with Robert Elswit, he mentions screening "'Ordinary People' on Wednesday" - a movie that deals with depression, blame, guilt and regret in a family setting. See the connection? The screenings are for inspiration and to make sure everybody's on the same page when it comes time for shooting.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ibelyias

I appreciate the info MacGuffin!  I can now understand what in the hell is going on in this section.  

I've been "lurking" around in xixax (is that pronounced zig-zags?) for months now (albeit soley in the PTA folder), and am just now making my first posts.  This is one fucking kickass group, if I do say so myself.

Thanks again.  Peace --
ibelyias

PS:  To the persons responsible for posting all of that BAM screening on the 'net, you flat-out rule.

ono

Quote from: ibelyias(is that pronounced zig-zags?)

http://www.xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=2
http://www.xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=763

:)

And welcome.  Though I'm not one to really welcome you; I just started reading these forums a month and a half ago, too.  Yeah, this place is great.

adolfwolfli

If nobody here has seen the Film "Network" you should run out and buy the DVD right away.  It's directed by the great Sidnet Lumet and written by the legendary Paddy Cheyevsky.  PTA's movies are absolutely amazing, and I think he's one of the best yound filmmakers working today, but (and I am sure he would agree), Network is an all-time masterpiece.  It's one of my favorite films of all time...

Ravi

"Network" is awesome.  "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!"