Kubrick's Best Film

Started by Tiff, January 08, 2003, 06:14:44 PM

ono

Pubrick

u know what i'm talking about without having seen all of the films i mentioned?
under the paving stones.

ono

Yep.  Only one I haven't see is Full Metal Jacket, and though I have read a lot about it, I hesitate to narrow its theme down to "war bad" considering the drilling you gave mod-age over saying the same thing about The Thin Red Line.  I guess saying I haven't seen "a lot" was the wrong wording.  But, one is "a lot" for Kubrick.

Pubrick

kubrick left the bad and good judgements after he made Spartacus. that's not even what he's about.

my generalizations were "for shucks", i wasn't proposing a new life philosophy. but i can back em up if u wish to get into it.
under the paving stones.

Mia Wallace

Kubrick was such a perfectionist. Picking the best Kubrick film for me would be like having to choose which one of my (future) seven children i like best.

I love all of them and they're all positively perfect (in my eyes)
I have to go powder my nose

Henry Hill

ShanghaiOrange

Especially Barry Lyndon, mofo.
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Pfunny thing is my first ever favorite Clork, is now near the bottom of the list..
Me too, now that I think of it... Dr. Strangelove has also slided to the bottom for me.

Can you expound on your 2001 placement, though?

©brad

interesting thing about 2001: i remember reading a kubrick interview in which he was talking about how he loved to hear what little kids had to say about it and more importantly- how they reacted- b/c they weren't concerned with the "why" and the "how" as much as the experience itself. (i'm paraphrasing from the interview here obviously but it makes sense nonetheless)

i didn't actually see 2001 until late in my movie watching career (freshman year of college surprisingly) clockwork was my first kubrick experience, then strangelove. i don't even think i could pick a favorite, but i can say that the one(s) that hold up best for me on repeat viewings are full metal and EWS.

Sanjuro

Quote from: ©bradinteresting thing about 2001: i remember reading a kubrick interview in which he was talking about how he loved to hear what little kids had to say about it and more importantly- how they reacted- b/c they weren't concerned with the "why" and the "how" as much as the experience itself. (i'm paraphrasing from the interview here obviously but it makes sense nonetheless).

my lil bro who is 8 years old has watched 2001 a couple of times with me... he likes it probably coz i like it, but he cracks up everytime with the monkey parts  especially when he is slamming the bone on the ground and when he throws the bone up.  im like WOWWWWWW and hes laughing his heart out.  i dont know what hes thinking though, if the movie is really supposed to be funny or he thinks it stupid.
"When you see your own photo, do you say you're a fiction?"

Just Withnail

Quote from: Sanjuroi dont know what hes thinking though, if the movie is really supposed to be funny or he thinks it stupid.

It's not supposed to be funny?

Sanjuro

Quote from: Withnail
Quote from: Sanjuroi dont know what hes thinking though, if the movie is really supposed to be funny or he thinks it stupid.

It's not supposed to be funny?

never found it funny. well sometimes id be like hahahhaah but right after woooooooh!!!
"When you see your own photo, do you say you're a fiction?"

jwebb202

2001 is the best
clockwork is my favorite
although i do love the killing
killer flees on horseback with the girl, the cop.s after them on a motorcycle

Big Owl

It has to be 2001 for me .Of all of his movies this is the most beautifully mastered

Its the one that kicked every other director in the nuts with its true
artistic genius
\\\\\\\"God damn these electric sex-pants!\\\\\\\"

Myxo

Seen em all. However, I can't sit through #9 and #10 again.

1. Clockwork Orange (The dialogue. The music. My god, the music. The visuals! So good..)
2. 2001: A Space Odyssey (What a toss-up! Is this my #1 favorite or is Clockwork Orange? Tough call..)
3. The Shining (I watch this at least once a year.)
4. Eyes Wide Shut (The best looking Kubrick film. Nicole Kidman isn't bad looking either.)
5. Dr. Strangelove ("Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.")
6. Paths of Glory (The only Kubrick film that has brought me to tears.)
7. Full Metal Jacket (As soon as the film leaves boot camp, it goes downhill.)
8. Barry Lyndon (Great film. I love the lighting.)
9. Lolita (Bleh. It was alright. Perhaps the only so-so Kubrick film for me.)
10. Spartacus (Too long. Way too long. It is a good film, but I can't watch this again.)