downloading songs

Started by meatwad, September 04, 2003, 04:29:49 PM

I Love a Magician

What's everyone's SoulSeek names? Mine: cutselfnot

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Piracy is bad for you.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Weird. Oh

mine be Powermypop though I don't use Slsk nearly as much as I used especially since there has been no new release in ages. They need to upgrade it!
The more arguments you win, the fewer friends you will have.

last days of gerry the elephant

I use Oink for downloading aka "testing new music before buying..."
It's a great bit-torrent server.

context, context, context.

JG

i also have oink, but i don't have any invites. 

Chest Rockwell

Never heard of it, but send an invite this way if you got extras.

Weird. Oh

I have 10 invites if anyne needs one. Just make sure you actually contribute and know the workings of bittorrent if you want an invite. PM me with your email and I'll send one.
The more arguments you win, the fewer friends you will have.

MacGuffin

24 illegal song downloads cost US woman 220,000 dollars

In the first US trial to challenge the illegal downloading of music on the Internet, a single mother from Minnesota was ordered Thursday to pay 220,000 dollars for sharing 24 songs online.

Jammie Thomas, 30, was the first among more than 26,000 people sued by the world's most powerful recording companies to refuse a settlement after being slapped with a lawsuit by the Recording Industry of America and six major music labels.

She turned down an offer to pay a few thousands dollars in fines and instead took the case to court.

Unlike some who insist on the right to share files over the Internet, Thomas says she was wrongfully targeted by SafeNet, a contractor employed by the recording industry to patrol the Internet for copyrighted material.

Her lawyer said earlier this week that she had racked up some 60,000 dollars in legal fees because she refused to be bullied.

And while Thomas insisted on the courthouse steps that she had never downloaded or uploaded music, her lawyer tried to convince jurors there was no way to prove who had uploaded songs on the Kazaa file sharing network.

A jury took just five hours to decide that evidence provided by the music labels showed otherwise and found Thomas guilty of copyright infringement, court records showed.

Thomas, an employee of the Mille Lacs Band of Ojibwe, an Indian tribe, was ordered to pay a 9,250-dollar fine for each of 24 shared songs cited in the case, including Godsmack's "Spiral," Destiny's Child's "Bills, Bills, Bills" and Sara McLachlan's "Building a Mystery."

It could have been a lot worse.

The fine could have reached 150,000 dollars a song if the jury had found "willful" copyright infringement.

Had the record companies sued her for all 1,702 songs found in the online folder the fine could have run in the millions.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Bethie

Quote from: MacGuffin on October 05, 2007, 01:45:07 AM

including Godsmack's "Spiral," Destiny's Child's "Bills, Bills, Bills" and Sara McLachlan's "Building a Mystery."

It could have been a lot worse.

I doubt it.
who likes movies anyway

edison

World's biggest pre-release pirate music site netted

British and Dutch police said they shut down Tuesday the website OiNK, the world's biggest source of pirated pre-release chart albums.
OiNK distributed albums often weeks ahead of their official release date. More than 60 major album releases had been leaked onto the Internet so far this year.

The site had an estimated membership of 180,000. People were only invited to become members if they could prove they had music to offer and had to keep posting tracks to maintain their membership.

It is alleged the site was operated by a 24-year-old man who lived near Middlesbrough in north-east England. He was arrested Tuesday. The site's servers, based in Amsterdam, were seized in raids last week.

The Interpol-coordinated raids followed a two-year investigation by the British Phonographic Industry and the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry bodies.

"OiNK was central to the illegal distribution of pre-release music online," said Jeremy Banks, head of the IFPI's Internet anti-piracy unit.

"This was not a case of friends sharing music for pleasure. This was a worldwide network that got hold of music they did not own the rights to and posted it online."

edit: sorry for the repost, didn't know it was also over in animal collective thread.

It's a sad day for me, and probably other music lovers alike...

It's not going to stop, till you wise up... recording industry bitches.

Stefen

I find it funny that the album that was probably responsible for the record industries panic (In Rainbows) wasn't even allowed to be posted on oink.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Well that was an issue with the bit rate (160). Oink had a regulation with a minimum of 192 to be uploaded.

By the way, I added you to Last.fm Stefen.