THX-1138: The Special Edition

Started by Ghostboy, March 09, 2004, 01:00:42 AM

Alethia

tpfkabi

i just saw the 2 disc cover on Amazon (and see it was on the first page) and it looks really good.

digging around i found some examples of stuff he changed. i had no idea Robert Duvall was in this. hard for me to imagine RD in a space movie.
http://thx-1138.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=32
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

MacGuffin

Quote from: bigideashard for me to imagine RD in a space movie.

I could imagine Duvall in a Sci-Fi movie more than I can him in the "Gone In Sixty Seconds" remake.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: bigideasi just saw the 2 disc cover on Amazon (and see it was on the first page) and it looks really good.

digging around i found some examples of stuff he changed. i had no idea Robert Duvall was in this. hard for me to imagine RD in a space movie.
http://thx-1138.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=32

As much as I hate to admit this - maybe it's because I've only seen THX-1138 once and it doesn't hold the same place in my heart as other films that have been "fixed" (not naming names) - but I like the examples of changes he made to this.  Maybe it's because these changes, to keep it in the George Lucas filmography, are more like the new sunset at the beginning of American Graffiti rather than Greedo shooting first.  Not to dredge up this argument again but I have to agree with Ghostboy, who said, once upon a time...

Quote from: Ghostboy, on May 22I'm all for the alterations -- what I'm against is making the original versions completely unavailable.

mutinyco

I saw a screening of it tonight. Fucking brilliant. It's still ahead of its time.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Just Withnail

The updated one?

Quote from: mutinycoIt's still ahead of its time.

You shouldn't invite to Lucas-jokes this easily  :P

tpfkabi

the new version wasn't liked by this person
http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=18136

i do want to see it. i guess i need to buy those DVD boots from the LaserDisc of this film and the original trilogy

mutinyco

"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Ghostboy

I'm not familiar enough with the film to notice the more subtle, expository differences that so disgusted the AICN reviewer, but it still upset me, just to read about it. It pisses me off when I think about how Lucas underestimates his audience in that way. Oh well. I've got the DVD on pre-order already, and will probably see it in the theater too. Even with those changes and oversimplifications, it's still probably going to be more experimental than most virgin audiences might expect.

mutinyco

Ghosty, the problem is...the original version WASN'T Lucas' cut of the film. Just because they could, the studio lopped off 5 minutes. It's quite possible the things that guy was complaining about were SUPPOSED to be there in the first place...

CGI wasn't bad. Just added ambience.

-St. Joe

mogwai

american graffiti is the latest one to be enhanced, woo hoo!

tpfkabi

i saw the trailer at the theater today.
it looks amazing.

RegularKarate

I saw this last night and I don't think the extra shit is that intrusive... and the type of people who bitch on AICN are usually just blowing retard steam anyway (this guy said he knew the movie so well, but he forgot how much nudity there was, evidently).

The things that make this movie so great are still in the movie, pretty much untouched, so it's worth seeing... especially if you're in one of the cities that gets it theatrically (GB, I'm lookin your way).

modage

yeah i was thinking about going to see this at the AFI  theatre here in DC this weekend, but then i got lazy and figured i'm going to buy it on tuesday anyways, although i have NEVER seen it (only my 3rd blind buy ever!)...... so i dunno.  maybe ill go tomorrow or maybe ill just wait till tuesday.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

tpfkabi

there is a more recent AICN review that praises the changes.

is it worth it to drive 2.5 hours to set in on the big screen, or just save time/gas money and buy the DVD?