Action movie

Started by metroshane, September 15, 2003, 10:06:23 AM

metroshane

I'm working on an action movie right now, but I want it to be fresh.  Identify any cliches you guys hate to see in action movies.  This will will involve a hiest if that helps.

Thanks
We live in an age that reads too much to be intelligent and thinks too much to be beautiful.

MacGuffin

You should be working on memorable characters first and foremost. Look at the romantic comedy genre, you know they are gonna get together at the end, and on that road to that point it may be filled with all the cliches known, but you are willing to overlook them if you are willing to go along with the characters. That's how to make it fresh.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

metroshane

We live in an age that reads too much to be intelligent and thinks too much to be beautiful.

Find Your Magali

Off the top of my head:

1. Don't have the hero have his badge revoked and be taken off the case.
2. Unless you have a trascendent idea for a car chase, don't do it
3. No French bad guys

Weak2ndAct

Lol.  Watch every movie produced by Bruckheimer/Simpson and Joel Silver.  You'll knock off most cliches right there.

Raikus

1. No multiple angle, slow-motion explosions (I know you're not the director, but if the script sells, MAKE the studio put in that clause).

2. Don't make it the con-stabs-con-in-back-after-con-stabs-other-con-in-back type heist movie.

3. Don't make the theft be a diamond or electronically transfered funds.

4. Make sure your guns only fire the bullets they can hold. Write in reload scenes.  

5. If a cop is involved, don't make his talk about his ulcer.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Alethia

make it about character first and foremost

Alethia

Quote from: MacGuffinYou should be working on memorable characters first and foremost. Look at the romantic comedy genre, you know they are gonna get together at the end, and on that road to that point it may be filled with all the cliches known, but you are willing to overlook them if you are willing to go along with the characters. That's how to make it fresh.

wow, almost exactly what he said.  sry, i skimmed.  but yes, do it.

Find Your Magali

More thoughts:

1. Don't kill off the sidekick just for a dramatic punch

2.  Make the villain more sympathetic and the hero less sympathetic. Ambiguity and shades of gray are good -- just like real life. (See Unforgiven, Treasure of the Sierra Madre, Hard Eight, Vertigo, Blood Simple...)

3. You probably don't want to write the kind of expensive action scenes that are going to make this flick cost $100 million. Think of ways to have action that aren't utterly outrageous.

Cecil

Quote from: Find Your Magali3. You probably don't want to write the kind of expensive action scenes that are going to make this flick cost $100 million. Think of ways to have action that aren't utterly outrageous.

idea: instead of SHOWING the gun fight, just have a closeup of a spectator reacting to whats going on.

metroshane

all great ideas.  I guess I need to re write my buddy cop diamond heist where the older cop is 1 day from retirement and the young one is a loose canon?

aclockworkjj

I dunno if I necessarly mind this cliche...but there is always this similar internal character structure going on between the good guy and the bad guy.  Meaning...we kinda see the same person, but on different ends of good/bad.  I actaully think it's pretty effective, but to do it in an original way would be kinda tuff.  Example, a real common trait of this...is how both the characters are kinda loners (so to speak).  Shit..I dunno if this is even relevent to the question, but my intentions were good...

Weak2ndAct

Quote from: aclockworkjjI dunno if I necessarly mind this cliche...but there is always this similar internal character structure going on between the good guy and the bad guy.  Meaning...we kinda see the same person, but on different ends of good/bad.  I actaully think it's pretty effective, but to do it in an original way would be kinda tuff.  Example, a real common trait of this...is how both the characters are kinda loners (so to speak).  Shit..I dunno if this is even relevent to the question, but my intentions were good...

You just summed up the plot for "Heat."  What you wrote is what I love about it-- Bruckheimer action movies don't have the 'bad guy' going to his friend's wife and encouraging her not to cheat.  The guys don't get the girls, one of the 'bad guys' gets away.  People die extraneously and not as plot points.  Shit goes bad.  Oh yeah, and that heist/shootout is pretty cool too.

metroshane

Can the girlfriend be in law or law enforcement, a la Out of Sight or Usual Suspects?

metroshane

..or maybe she can be the daughter of the bad guy?