The Brothers Bloom

Started by MacGuffin, April 21, 2007, 12:33:45 AM

MacGuffin

Summit replants 'Bloom' to May
Comedy was originally set to open Dec. 19
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Summit has decided to postpone the release of Rian Johnson's quirky con-man pic "The Brothers Bloom" just a week ahead of its limited release.

The company will move the buzz title out of the Dec. 19 slot and open it in limited release May 15, widening the film two weeks later. The film originally was slated to widen Jan. 16.

Summit has had one of the fall's biggest breakouts in "Twilight," which has generated a significant amount of revenue and become a priority for the company. A spokesperson, however, said the decision to move "Bloom" was not influenced by "Twilight" but by the glut of specialized titles during the holiday season.

The second half of May is populated with several big releases, including "Angels & Demons," "Night at the Museum 2" and "Terminator: Salvation" but is lighter on adult-oriented fare.

Johnson's film, which he wrote and directed, revolves around two brothers and a series of cons and double-cons. The film stars Adrien Brody, Rachel Weisz and Mark Ruffalo.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

New trailer.

My love affair with Brick continues to this day, and I'm thus prepared to give this movie lots of benefit of the doubt.  That said, this trailer does make it look a lot better than the old trailer did.  Rachel Weisz is in full-on adorable mode, which is a major recipe for success.  I don't expect to love it liked I love Brick, but I'll definitely be seeing it at the earliest opportunity.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Sleepless

I've had the screenplay sitting on my shelf the last six months and haven't gotten around to it. I will read it in the next couple of weeks. Still looks great.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

modage

i'm in the same boat as polka.  i loved loved brick and am trying to keep hope alive for this one even after all the delays and everything. 
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: polkablues on April 08, 2009, 12:55:22 AM
New trailer.

That said, this trailer does make it look a lot better than the old trailer did. 
I'm alittle confused by this: isn't the new trailer almost exactly the same as the old trailer? Or did I miss something there?
The only noticeable difference comes at the end, when the trailer barrages you with all it's excellent reviews. I saw nothing that sold this movie as anything different or better than the last trailer did.
That said, it's probably just me. I was never crazy about Brick, though I did find it enjoyable. It was cute and clever, and that's exactly what I see here, again, and nothing that I've seen or read so far leads me to believe it will be anything but "cute and clever." Which isn't neccessarily a bad thing, as long as it doesn't get too carried away with its cleverness.

I'm afraid I'm beginning to sound like GTlite...

All that to say, I'll probably end up seeing this at some point, and I hope that it's hopelessly entertaining because I always hope for the best.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

polkablues

Quote from: The Perineum Falcon on April 08, 2009, 10:24:51 AM
Quote from: polkablues on April 08, 2009, 12:55:22 AM
New trailer.

That said, this trailer does make it look a lot better than the old trailer did. 
I'm alittle confused by this: isn't the new trailer almost exactly the same as the old trailer? Or did I miss something there?

You might be right.  It's been a long time since I watched the first trailer, so I may be misremembering it.  I just remember, for whatever reason, being pleased but not blown away by the trailer before, but then watching this trailer got me genuinely excited for it. 
My house, my rules, my coffee

SiliasRuby

I'm also hoping for hopelessly entertaining. Forgive the redundancy
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Bethie

I thought Rachel Weisz was Winona Ryder.
who likes movies anyway

picolas

hand-drawn, unofficial poster

SiliasRuby

My Collection

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

theyarelegion

Wasn't expecting the Ricky Jay narration...

SiliasRuby

It felt wonderful. I couldn't stop smiling throughout the whole thing.

My Collection

Gold Trumpet

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but I didn't like this one. Johnson is taking from too recent and too relevant of a source with the Ricky Jay narration. Magnolia is only 10 years old. Every person that would see and love this film already have Magnolia on speed dial for their DVD player. Besides, hallmarks of Wes Anderson are also all over the film. The first 7 minutes felt like a copy and paste job of those two filmmakers into one work. The rest of the film could break away from these tendencies, but I'm worried that Brothers Bloom could just become a ceremonial work for America's newest wave of filmmakers.

When Bernardo Bertolucci came into filmmaking and was Godard's understudy in many ways, he did make films that seemed to come out of the same vein as Godard, but they were always their own work. The hope is that Rian Johnson knows enough to have his own conscience.

diggler

well, boogie nights felt like it's own work, but stylistically it was straight goodfellas.  this feels like fun, but i'll admit Brick felt like more of it's own style. this is cribbing a bit, but at least it's cribbing in the right places.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty