(Wes Anderson) rushmore phallic symbol?

Started by tpfkabi, August 17, 2003, 12:08:03 AM

tpfkabi

i never really thought about this type of things in movies (well apart from the whole Disney thing a few years back) until i read up on Vertigo and Hitchcock said Coit Tower was a phallic symbol for Scotty and his apartment, etc.....maybe jokingly, but who knows?

but anywho, you may think this is dumb, but it seems obvious and i wondered if anyone else ever thought this.

the playground scene with Blume and Miss Cross.....the slide?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

MacGuffin

Quote from: bigideasi never really thought about this type of things in movies (well apart from the whole Disney thing a few years back) until i read up on Vertigo and Hitchcock said Coit Tower was a phallic symbol for Scotty and his apartment, etc.....maybe jokingly, but who knows??

The train going into the tunnel at the end of "North By Northwest" is one too.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Alethia

the shuttle taking off in apollo 13 may be one as well

Cecil

the penises drawn on the wall in a clockwork orange are as well.

Gamblour.

And Dirk Diggler's penis.

I hear the monolith may be one in 2001, even though Kubrick wanted a big black sphere initially.
WWPTAD?

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

Alethia

^^^^ that takes the cake, i think

Cecil

tpfkabi

i figured this would get no honest replies, except for the North by Northwest one that i did know about, but forgot to mention.

just watch the scene.

seriously.

i'm serious.

seriously.

mutinyco

I know exactly what you're talking about. Yes, it's a phallic symbol. The big slide shute thing in the background.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

Lord, even the most innocent scenes have to have dick humor in it.
Has all the world gone the way of Kevin Smith?

Alethia

what about the montage of male phallic symbols during the sex scene in naked gun 2 1/2: the smell of fear???

tpfkabi

Quote from: mutinycoI know exactly what you're talking about. Yes, it's a phallic symbol. The big slide shute thing in the background.

did you read Anderson or someone involved with the picture mention it.........or are you thinking it's just too obvious to not be?

mutinyco

Too obvious. I noticed it in the theater when I first saw it.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Ghostboy

Don't forget the castle in The Little Mermaid...representing Ariel's desire for human intercourse.