HOLY SHIT! KILL BILL IN TWO PARTS! Volume Two

Started by modage, July 15, 2003, 11:24:11 PM

MacGuffin

After the rather surprising announcement that there will be 2 Kill Bill movies (the first to be shown October 10th), more facts and rumors are coming to light.

- Kill Bill Volume 1 and Volume 2 will most likely be the titles.
- Both movies will be longer than 2 hours, making the final product over 5 hours long
- There will be different version for different countries. In fact, 4 different versions of Kill Bill are being prepared for separate release. These special versions for Asia, for example, will feature more graphic sword fights, etc...

An excerpt from the ScreenDaily article:
"We are blazing a new trail here," affirmed Miramax Films chief operating officer Rick Sands, who says the final decision to split the story at its natural break-point halfway through was made by Tarantino and Miramax co-chairman Harvey Weinstein after a Los Angeles screening of the footage assembly three weeks ago.

While Sands says that the initial October 10th date has been locked in, together with an international schedule that should see the film released in 85%-90% of the world's markets within three to four weeks, although the domestic opening date for Volume 2 has not been finalised. "They will be fairly close together. Not five or six months apart but sooner than that. Maybe as soon as eight weeks depending on what else is being released."

In territories where Miramax will not be releasing the films themselves, distributors such as Japan's Gaga, The Netherlands RCV, Hong Kong's Golden Harvest, Spain's Lauren, Scandinavia's Nordisk and Canada's Alliance Atlantis have been suddenly faced with stumping up for two Tarantino films, and finding room in their release schedules to accommodate a second, substantial local marketing campaign.

Not that any were heard grumbling about the additional commitment or the essentially all-or-nothing proposition. Chung Tae Won, president of Korean distributor Taewon said he was more than happy to double up: having two Tarantino films at reasonable lengths is better than one at three hours.

Moreover, as Sands himself puts it, distributors, like Miramax, will all being enjoying "several more bites of the apple" when it comes to ancillary markets. Both volumes of Kill Bill will warrant their own DVD release, to be followed up by a special double-pack sometime thereafter. And the number of opportunities to make a bigger killing in both free and pay-television has increased exponentially."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gold Trumpet

Interesting. If that's the case, lets hope each volume can stand on its own given this was originally thought out to be one picture only.

~rougerum

Pubrick

let's all just hope for the worst and hire a dominatrix to spank us daily.
under the paving stones.

lamas

I hope this shit bombs.  I've read the screenplay, and even though I guess it's a rough copy, I can't imagine this story and the one-dimensional characters holding up for over 5 hours combined.  If this move is successful this will most likely start a copycat trend of studios urging directors to not cut any of the fat off their already bloated films and release films in the theaters like a tv miniseries.  That sucks.  Of course I may be wrong and Tarantino may have added further depth to the characters since the version of the script I read instead of relying on "coolness" as the basis of entertainment.  Hmmm....not likely.

Jake_82

hmm i think this could be a cool idea... but only if it has a purpose. If I get to see 5 hours in two sittings I'll be much happier than seeing 3 hours or less in one sitting... but if I see two 1 and a half hour peices, that'll be pretty annoying... this is all dependent on how good the movie is, however, but the trailer looked fantastic. The marketing's gotta be pretty good for this to work, too... if they approach this from just the right angle it'll end up being great.
your reality is at the end of your dream

modage

Quote from: MacGuffinBoth volumes of Kill Bill will warrant their own DVD release, to be followed up by a special double-pack sometime thereafter.

*(pukes.)
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ono

It's official.  Tarantino has sold out.  For a brief time, Tarantino and PTA were my two favorite filmmakers.  This was a while back earlier in the year, granted.  But right now, I'm seeing that the two couldn't be more opposite, when it comes to making films versus making money.

Jeremy Blackman

What happened? This is pretty tragic.

I really wouldn't mind a 6-hour Tarantino film.

Duck Sauce

I wanted 1 movie, but fuck it what can you do?

i realized that its best to just go with the flow with this sort of thing

Alethia

at this point, i dont care anymore......i just wanna see the fuckin thing.........but that DVD shit is EVIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

finlayr

I just wanted to say that Irreversible is not OVERRATED.  It's a masterpiece and Hollywood, with its razzle-dazzle, shite formulas, wouldn't have the balls to tell the truth the way Irreversible.  People are just afraid of the truth.  Yes, time destroys all things.  Move on..  What a film.  It's a fucking masterpiece.

And, in relation, to this thread--it's a damn wise choise by Miramax and I think it's artistically interesting and a challenge to QT.... and when has Tarantino let you down before on a movie that he wrote and directed??  Never.  FAITH IN TARANTINO!!!
Filmmaker

Cecil

modage

Quote from: finlayrI just wanted to say that Irreversible is not OVERRATED.  It's a masterpiece and Hollywood, with its razzle-dazzle, shite formulas, wouldn't have the balls to tell the truth the way Irreversible.  People are just afraid of the truth.  Yes, time destroys all things.  Move on..  What a film.  It's a fucking masterpiece.

maybe they should have had the balls to make a good movie.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Cecil

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: finlayrI just wanted to say that Irreversible is not OVERRATED.  It's a masterpiece and Hollywood, with its razzle-dazzle, shite formulas, wouldn't have the balls to tell the truth the way Irreversible.  People are just afraid of the truth.  Yes, time destroys all things.  Move on..  What a film.  It's a fucking masterpiece.

I will eventually see this movie, but I've never seen opinions more lopsided. Negative feels to be winning out by 80% and it looks like I am going into the viewing with an established bias. Doesn't matter though, because with Matrix: Reloaded and Lord of the Rings: Fellowship, I was convinced I was going to see great films.

~rougerum