-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

jasper_window

Listen to the commentary so you can hear PTA tell Phillip Baker Hall that he walks "like a motherfucker."

SHAFTR

I just saw Hard Eight for the first time last week.  Is the DVD worth the purchase?  I did enjoy the movie although it doesn't seem to have the replay value of his other films.
How is the commentary?
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Xixax

Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

godardian

Quote from: SHAFTRI just saw Hard Eight for the first time last week.  Is the DVD worth the purchase?  I did enjoy the movie although it doesn't seem to have the replay value of his other films.
How is the commentary?

If I had to exclude one of the four DVDs, I would exclude this one. Luckily, though, I don't; I plan to order my copy to arrive in plenty of time for the P.T.A.-a-thon.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

ono

ShanghaiOrange can't
Write haikus very well, but
his avatar's cool.

Hard Eight is worth it.
It's Anderson's first real film.
I liked JCR.

Ghostboy

Actually, I think this DVD is as valuable as the others. The two commentary tracks are priceless. Plus, the film's just so damn good!

Pedro

The DVD is great.  And it does have the replay value of his other masterpieces.

chainsmoking insomniac

Absolutely.  The dialogue is sheer brilliance.  And I love the utterly concise manner in which he set up the John/Sydney friendship in the diner (the first scene....)
Sydney is one of my top five faves......
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

bonanzataz

i never have the urge to watch this movie until you guys bring it up and i'm like, damn, that movie was good, i kind of want to see it again. after finals are done, i have to pop it in the dvd player and maybe listen to the commentaries (which i still haven't done).
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Xixax

Quote from: ShanghaiOrangeEDIT: I fixed the haiku, you pirate smokers. :(

7-5-7

:?
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

ono

Actually, it's 5-7-5, ShanghaiOrange.  ;)

ShanghaiOrange

I don't fucking care
The point was that I like Paul
Haikus are worthless

:(

Anyway, I listened to the commentary on this and I must say that PTA sounds alot like Tarantino in both his voice and his enthusiasm for film. He drops the f-bomb more often though. :(
I really liked the commentary, but I admit that I zoned out alot when Phillip Baker Hall was talking. :(
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

ono

Haha, excellent haiku, Shanghai!  :-D

And yes, PTA does swear a lot.  And PBH has a lulling, smooth voice that can put ya to sleep.  But for my money, PTA and Tarantino are the two best people to listen to commentaries/interviews for, so yeah, admission price for that alone is worth it.  :)

edison

I was very surprised when i first saw this, i dont even remember when, but its really nice to see a film that just fits together nicely.

The relationship of John and Sydney was well done bc you had no idea why this man took John under his wing until the end. i had no idea that was coming, and if you say you did then you're a fucking liar!!! like those who say they knew Willis was dead the entire time.

Anyways, great film and one that everyone should view at least once.