interpretation of magnolia and boogie nights

Started by whisperer, November 26, 2003, 09:06:00 AM

whisperer

hi, I'm new to the forum, I confess I only happened to know about it thanks to greg...
anyway, I'm writing my dissertation about pta, focusing on magnolia and boogie nights.
one part of my work is about the construction of meaning of his films, and I talk about the intention of the director, the importance of the music and the interpretation of the audience.
so, to what an extent do you feel free to interpete these films? do you think there's something specific that he leaves open to interpretation? do you think he uses rules of intepretation? do you feel like you're getting most of the other texts (books, movies, etc.) he refers to?
thanks everybody! it would be really interesting to have some feedbakc about it, because that's what I'm writing about!

neatahwanta

Ernie

I learned in this film study class I took last year (10th grade) that I really fucking hate "interpreting" or analyzing movies, I just like loving them I think. That's just me though.

Pedro

I like analyzing literature a hell of a lot more than doing it with films, but i really dont mind inturpreting them.  anyway...wow...a dissertation on the works of paul thomas anderson.  that's someting else.

cowboykurtis

my film teacher once told the class -- there has not been a good film made post 1979 -- he  lost everyones respet very quickly -- someone raised their hand and said "what about magnolia" -- he spent about 5 mintues explaining why magnolia was a peice of shit. he was a sad lonely man.
...your excuses are your own...

SoNowThen

Quote from: ebeamanI learned in this film study class I took last year (10th grade) that I really fucking hate "interpreting" or analyzing movies, I just like loving them I think. That's just me though.

This quote should be up on film school walls everywhere.

Great, great, great, Ebs!!!!
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

molly

Quote from: cowboykurtismy film teacher once told the class -- there has not been a good film made post 1979 -- he  lost everyones respet very quickly -- someone raised their hand and said "what about magnolia" -- he spent about 5 mintues explaining why magnolia was a peice of shit. he was a sad lonely man.

Those people in/around movie industry are so lame and pathetic sometimes. I've also heard about some top list of films ever made, I think Citizen Kane is No1, and the rest are mostly old films, their authors
are either dead or too old. It's like film as a science or art is behaving in opposite way than everythig else in the nature. Or it's just small tank and too many sharks.
That's why I hate top lists of anything, because they are very personal and can't be taken as something serious and objective.
Also, many people who say that The Godfather1,2,3 is their favourite film watch films like Terminator, Rambo, Die Hard, fast and Furious...but are ashamed to say that those are their favourites.

cowboykurtis

i can safely say my favorite films are jaws, its a wonderful life, the conversation, glengarry glenn ross, and the shining. i can say that without any doubts. im not a big fan of rambo, but the frist 2 terminators are quite wonderful. not a big fan of the 3rd one.
...your excuses are your own...

md

booige nights is an encrypted autobiography...thats all im going to say
"look hard at what pleases you and even harder at what doesn't" ~ carolyn forche

©brad

Quote from: whispererhi, I'm new to the forum, I confess I only happened to know about it thanks to greg...
anyway, I'm writing my dissertation about pta, focusing on magnolia and boogie nights.
one part of my work is about the construction of meaning of his films, and I talk about the intention of the director, the importance of the music and the interpretation of the audience.
so, to what an extent do you feel free to interpete these films? do you think there's something specific that he leaves open to interpretation? do you think he uses rules of intepretation? do you feel like you're getting most of the other texts (books, movies, etc.) he refers to?
thanks everybody! it would be really interesting to have some feedbakc about it, because that's what I'm writing about!

first off, welcome whisperer.

i encourage you to scroll through the many many many threads in this pta section. we've exhausted every single topic that could possible be discussed about paul thomas anderson, from the frogs to clementine's loop. i'm sure mac or someone could redirect you to specific relevant threads. good luck!

whisperer

Quote from: ebeamanI learned in this film study class I took last year (10th grade) that I really fucking hate "interpreting" or analyzing movies, I just like loving them I think. That's just me though.

yes, sometimes you end up by losing the magic of a film if you spend too much time thinking about it and ratonalizing every aspect of it.
however, maybe my question sounded a little bit solemn because english is not my mother tongue...instead of "interpretation", you could think in these terms: do you feel like you enjoyed watching pta films for the same reason that presumably pushed pta to make them?
okay. maybe now it sounds even worse... :shock:  :?
anyway, thanks everybody for any kind of feedback you give to my questions...even if you hate interpretation (may times I think people overinterpretate films, that is also why I am trying to find out what the audience think about it...)

whisperer

...basically, if you think that "interpretation" is too strong and implies an excessive use of rationality while you watch a film, just intend it as your unconscious reaction to the film...do you feel you like it for the "right" reason?

aclockworkjj

I have come to realize that the best essays (or papers) about film stem from one's personal opinions (or interpretations).  

why look for answers, when you can make your own?  just an idea.

whisperer

Quote from: aclockworkjjI have come to realize that the best essays (or papers) about film stem from one's personal opinions (or interpretations).  

why look for answers, when you can make your own?  just an idea.

I already have my personal opinion and my personal idea about it, but since I try to find out a more general thought it might be useful to have some feedback...
I'm not looking for an interpretation of magnolia and boogie nights, but to understand how aware the audience is of using connections with other films while watching magnolia and boogie nights...
I'm not looking for an answer, it's just a feedback to feel to what an extent what I'm writing is shared with other people...

©brad

i'm often getting the feeling that ppl are ignoring me more and more around this place. r my posts written in invisible script or sumthing? grrrr...

whispererererer, if ur serious about interpretations, let me again redirect u:

Quote from: what ©bradfirst off, welcome whisperer.

i encourage you to scroll through the many many many threads in this pta section. we've exhausted every single topic that could possible be discussed about paul thomas anderson, from the frogs to clementine's loop. i'm sure mac or someone could redirect you to specific relevant threads. good luck!