questions concerning blue velvet!

Started by ribbentrop, August 05, 2003, 07:36:55 PM

ribbentrop

is there anyone who knows the anwsers to these question?

1. when is the plot taking place, the 50s-60s, or what?

2. when jeffery wakes up from his dream of dorothy screaming out loud, he looks up at the wall at something... wtf is that? some kind of dream catcher?

3. is it just me or is one of the persons sitting on a couch at ben's place wearing a sack over his/her head?

4. why did frank kill "the yellow man"? did he by any chance happen to walk in on him and dorothy? lol.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: ribbentropis there anyone who knows the anwsers to these question?

1. when is the plot taking place, the 50s-60s, or what?

i always thought it took place the film was being made....the way Lynch does the settings does have an old school sort of vibe about it....but thats just me

Pas

I feel it's made to be "Anytown, America, Anytime (post 1949 that is)"

cowboykurtis

ive always wondered what that thing on the wall is -- is really doenst seem to fit with the rest of the room -- its like a shrunken goblin head?
...your excuses are your own...

Lucinda Bryte

I think it takes place in the eighties but I read somewhere that Lynch loves the nineteen-fifties so that's why it had that type of setting.

And now to be over-analytical: I think the whole idea is that the movie takes place in a seemingly nice quiet suberban town but there is this dark secret and lots of weird things going on that most people don't know about. And I think the whole era of the fifties adds to the innocence because when you think of the fifties, it was before all the protests and women's movement and all of that. It was just perceived as being very innocent.

Just my take on it. I've only seen the film once, but I just got the DVD for my birthday.

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: Lucinda Bryte
And now to be over-analytical: I think the whole idea is that the movie takes place in a seemingly nice quiet suberban town but there is this dark secret and lots of weird things going on that most people don't know about.

i read that too, on the back of the box.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Sleuth

Quote from: ranemaka13
And now to be over-analytical: I think the whole idea is that the movie takes place in a seemingly nice quiet suberban town but there is this dark secret and lots of weird things going on that most people don't know about.

Hahaha :yabbse-thumbup:
I like to hug dogs

Lucinda Bryte

Oh. I didn't read the back of the box. I rented it from Blockbuster awhile back.

:roll:

Myxo

Oh. I didn't read the back of the box. I rented it from Blockbuster awhile back.

:roll:

Mmm hmm..

Lucinda Bryte

God you people are so analytical and you pick apart everything people say.

It's quite pathetic.

Fucking know-it-alls.

Pubrick

Quote from: Lucinda BryteGod you people are so analytical and you pick apart everything people say.

It's quite pathetic.

Fucking know-it-alls.
i'll take note, Aug 20.. moody.
under the paving stones.

Lucinda Bryte

Quote from: P
Quote from: Lucinda BryteGod you people are so analytical and you pick apart everything people say.

It's quite pathetic.

Fucking know-it-alls.
i'll take note, Aug 20.. moody.

:-*

Seriously though... They are like "Hmm I'm going to go on xixax today and find something wrong with the statement that someone is posting in a discussion and CALL THEM ON IT because I am a fucking movie elitist!!"

POO ON THEM MAN!

freakerdude

LMAO while ROTF & SMPants......I haven't laughed this hard in a while....was about to have a cardiac.

Sorry Lucinda.....I couldn't help it
MC Pee Pants