Movies you've seen the most often

Started by Pas, June 08, 2003, 06:37:21 PM

Pubrick

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetEasy question for me. Only movie I have memorized every line and cut to, Die Hard, and I am not one bit ashamed of it either. Must have seen it a thousand times (not kidding or exagerrating). The viewing was intense when I was younger and drifted after through trying to find some art, I considered not worth my time but have rediscovered it again and love it still.

~rougerum
everytime u talk about die hard i can't help but think of when a rich person visits the homeless shelter and can't stop talking about it for months like they just did the world a favour.

the key to not seeming snobbish is to not think any different when watchin a popular movie and an arty one.
under the paving stones.

Pas

Quote from: Peverytime u talk about die hard i can't help but think of when a rich person visits the homeless shelter and can't stop talking about it for months like they just did the world a favour.

the key to not seeming snobbish is to not think any different when watchin a popular movie and an arty one.

That is oh so very true.

Gold Trumpet

P, are you still stuck on if I am snobbish or not? I've never seen anyone care as much about this issue as you do. I thought this was old months ago, and since then, I haven't cared at all whether or not someone thinks I am snobbish or not. I think its funny. But anyways, P, keep on pushing the lame issue.

And yes, Booth, I have watched Die Hard that many times. When three years of movie appreciation begins with one movie only, it does happen.

~rougerum

godardian

There's such a thing as an anti-art sort of reverse snobbery, too. I think that's much more of a rampant problem than art-film snobbery. I consider myself a film-snob, proudly so, but I won't dismiss a movie just because you can fit it into the "mainstream" category. All film is art, to me. It either works on its own terms, or it doesn't. I'll defend Down with Love and American Beauty from anyone who doesn't like them for any reason, just like I'll defend Mulholland Dr.. If I love the film, I've got its back; that's all the categories I need, fuck this "mainstream vs. art" shit. I have my own reasons for liking things, and I stick by them. Taste is not a popularity contest; it's an articulation, personalization, and refinement of your response to art and culture.

When someone uses the words "snobbish" or "pretentious" to dismiss my take on film, though, it always seems like they're suffering from an inferiority complex and trying to end the discussion without having to really engage in it. They're easy catchwords that need heavy qualification to really mean anything.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

SoNowThen

Yes, thank you. I've wanted to say that for weeks now, but you put it so much better than I could have.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Gold Trumpet

FYI, Independent and/or Art films from last year I DID NOT like:

Adaptation
Talk to Her
Gangs of New York
Chicago
The Quiet American
The Good Girl
The 25th Hour
Full Frontal
One Hour Photo
Solaris
Far From Heaven
Road to Perdition
Insomnia

I remembered all these movies by looking on best of lists from everyone in the Now Showing forum. Whether you disagree with me on a movie or not, I don't fit any stereotypical mold of film snob.

~rougerum

SoNowThen

GT, I respect your opinion... but please give GONW another chance. Really.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

godardian

Quote from: SoNowThenGT, I respect your opinion... but please give GONW another chance. Really.

I'd say give almost any of those another chance. Most of what's on that list that I've seen ranges from very good to brilliant.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Pedro

Quote from: godardian
Quote from: SoNowThenGT, I respect your opinion... but please give GONW another chance. Really.

I'd say give almost any of those another chance. Most of what's on that list that I've seen ranges from very good to brilliant.

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetRoad to Perdition
Insomnia
One Hour Photo

Exceptions.

modage

c'mon dont say ROAD TO PERDITION doesnt even qualify as "good".  just because it didnt meet your expectations i dont think makes it less than good.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

godardian

Quote from: themodernage02c'mon dont say ROAD TO PERDITION doesnt even qualify as "good".  just because it didnt meet your expectations i dont think makes it less than good.

I second this.

The other two, I'd agree with, though they're both watchable and not entirely without interest.

Pas

Quote from: godardianI'd say give almost any of those another chance. Most of what's on that list that I've seen ranges from very good to brilliant.

I completly agree ... especially the first 3 of the list.

ben

Boogie Nights
J&SB (sorry, but this movie makes me laugh)
Bottle Rocket
Rushmore
The Royal Tenenbaums
Toy Story 1 & 2
Disney's Robin Hood

eh, can't think of anymore at the moment, and my roomate needs to restart the internet. :(

©brad

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetFYI, Independent and/or Art films from last year I DID NOT like:

Adaptation
Talk to Her
Gangs of New York
Chicago
The Quiet American
The Good Girl
The 25th Hour
Full Frontal
One Hour Photo
Solaris
Far From Heaven
Road to Perdition
Insomnia

I remembered all these movies by looking on best of lists from everyone in the Now Showing forum. Whether you disagree with me on a movie or not, I don't fit any stereotypical mold of film snob.

~rougerum

i dont see how any free-thinking, film appreciating, semi-intelligent, good-natured person could not LUV adaptation, talk to her, 25th hour, far from heaven- oh fuck it. u suck dude.

Pedro

Quote from: ©brad
Quote from: The Gold TrumpetFYI, Independent and/or Art films from last year I DID NOT like:

Adaptation
Talk to Her
Gangs of New York
Chicago
The Quiet American
The Good Girl
The 25th Hour
Full Frontal
One Hour Photo
Solaris
Far From Heaven
Road to Perdition
Insomnia

~rougerum

i dont see how any free-thinking, film appreciating, semi-intelligent, good-natured person could not LUV adaptation, talk to her, 25th hour, far from heaven- oh fuck it. u suck dude.
I think the fact that many of us (myself included) cannot see how he dislikes those films makes his opinions all the more interesting.  I disagree with GT alot, but I believe that his comments are well thought out and he provides valuable opinions on things.