So Far This Year - LP Version ( Vol 2006 ! )

Started by hedwig, July 08, 2006, 12:55:16 PM

Xx

modage

the album begins to trail off a bit for me towards the middle but Hot Soft Light is probably my most played song this year, so for that i have to give it credit.  but you cant list Apples In Stereo cause thats an 07 release!
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

What a year.  Lots of changes...

10 - Early Day Miners - Offshore

9 - Jarvis Cocker - Jarvis

8 - Band of Horses - Everything All of the Time

7 - Islands - Return to the Sea

6 - Mountain Goats - Get Lonely

5 - Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Show Your Bones

4 - The Black Keys - Magic Potion

3 - Califone - Roots & Crowns

2 - Murder By Death - In Bocca al Lupo

1 - The Mars Volta - Amputechture
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

I Love a Magician

Quote from: Walrus on December 20, 2006, 09:38:09 PM

I think I'm getting more into this. I hope to like it as much as Roomsound and Quicksand Cradlesnakes here soon.

polkablues

Quote from: Ghostboy on December 20, 2006, 01:00:23 AM
Quote from: polkabluesNellie McKay - Pretty Little Head

I found this album to be tragically disappointing, compared to her first.

Not as good as her first, for sure, but far from disappointing.

Here's a few more I forgot the first time around:

Keane - Under the Iron Sea
Placebo - Meds
Gus Black - Autumn Days

And the "One great song amidst a sea of mediocrity" award goes to... Augustana, for "Bullets".
My house, my rules, my coffee

squints

"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote from: modage on December 20, 2006, 08:04:29 PM
.  but you cant list Apples In Stereo cause thats an 07 release!

get the fuck out of here!! that thing leaked like, 3 months ago and it's being released in february 6. wawaweewa.
context, context, context.

pete

The Roots - Games Theory

The Coup - Pick a Bigger Weapon

Regina Spektor - Begin to Hope
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

JG

i'm a little overwhelmed and depressed after reading the "best of" lists floating around on the internet.  i thought i stayed on top of everything that i wanted to this year, but after downloading some of the "best songs of the year" at various hipster blog spots i found that i missed a lot that i probably would have enjoyed.  peter bjorn and john's "young folks" is on constant repeat right now.  i just wish i got there earlier.  here's my list, i guess:

1.  joanna newsom - ys
2.  destroyer - rubies
3.  final fantasy - he poos clouds
4.  sunset ruddown - shut up i am dreaming
5.  suburban kids with biblical names - #3
6.  belle and sebastian - the life pursuit
7.  camera obscura - let's get out of this country
8.  the decemberists - the crane wife
9.  oh no! oh my! - oh no! oh my!
10.  ramona cordova - the boy who floated freely

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: I Love a Magician on December 20, 2006, 11:59:37 PM
Quote from: Walrus on December 20, 2006, 09:38:09 PM

I think I'm getting more into this. I hope to like it as much as Roomsound and Quicksand Cradlesnakes here soon.

It still hasn't surpassed Roomsound or Heron King Blues to me, but that doesn't mean it's a bad album.  It's still pretty solid.

Also, Cornelius' "Sensuous" weaves in and out of my list, up and down in an endless spiral.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

GoneSavage

1.  Dan Sartain -- Join Dan Sartain[/size]

a few others in no particular order:
Blood Brothers -- Young Machetes
The Hold Steady -- Boyz & Girlz 'n Amerika
Hot Snakes -- Thunder Down Under (live albums count right?)
Radio Birdman -- Zeno Beach
Black Heart Procession -- The Spell
The Aggrolites -- The Aggrolites
The Marked Men -- Fix My Brain

things I'll probably edit my list to include once I hear them:
Tom Waits -- Orphans
Dallas Crane -- Factory Girls

Ghostboy

I just picked up Bonnie Prince Billy's The Letting Go, and I think it's really beautiful. Probably my second favorite new thing I've heard so far this year, after Ys.

I also got the new Yeah Yeah Yeahs album, finally, and I really like it a lot, although not enough to put it on a list.

I also bought Scott Walker's The Drift. I'm trying to get into it, but I'm having a lot of trouble so far. But I've seen it on a lot of other year end lists, so I'm going to keep listening...

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: GoneSavage on December 27, 2006, 04:45:59 PM
The Aggrolites -- The Aggrolites

I saw them open for the Aquabats, but I caught them midset.  They still put on quite a show.