CRASH

Started by Finn, April 20, 2005, 05:02:29 PM

Gamblour.

I'm only assuming I can download a playstation rom or something...I haven't looked into it...yet.

They are also a joy for me, mostly the third. The first I saw second, so it's got its own appeal for me. The second film was on TV yesterday...I didn't want to see it again.
WWPTAD?

grand theft sparrow

I love how this thread went from talking about Crash to talking about Die Hard.  

To get it back on track...

Just finished watching Crash.  My fucking head hurts from all the goddamn sledgehammers.  People of every race should be offended that anyone at all found this movie thought-provoking.

I'd have been willing to forgive the blatant Altman/PTA theft if the subject matter were handled in an intelligent way.  This is the kind of movie that conservatives would cite as "liberal propaganda".  And for once, they're right.

Crash is fucking BULL. SHIT.  

But getting back to Die Hard... even though the second one is the weakest one, I still love the part with the icicle in the eye.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: hacksparrow
Just finished watching Crash.  My fucking head hurts from all the goddamn sledgehammers.  People of every race should be offended that anyone at all found this movie thought-provoking.

I'd have been willing to forgive the blatant Altman/PTA theft if the subject matter were handled in an intelligent way.  This is the kind of movie that conservatives would cite as "liberal propaganda".  And for once, they're right.

Crash is fucking BULL. SHIT.  

But getting back to Die Hard... even though the second one is the weakest one, I still love the part with the icicle in the eye.

I wouldn't so much say it's bullshit... I can't exactly deny that racism exists.  This movie had a point it wanted to make, it just did so very poorly.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: WalrosferatuI wouldn't so much say it's bullshit... I can't exactly deny that racism exists. This movie had a point it wanted to make, it just did so very poorly.

That's what I meant by bullshit.  The point it was trying to make is nothing new or even overlooked.

ono

Spoilers, maybe.

I just started watching Crash to see what all the fuss was about.  Five minutes in I'm already annoyed.  Don Cheadle wasted.  Jennifer Esposito, too, bitching to an Asian woman that she didn't "blake."  Haha.  This is similar to the pain I had watching Dogville -- the preachy, pretentious, preposterous pain.

Ludacris had a point about tipping, but the irony is thick, and this whole thing is way too preachy already.  Broken record.  I'm sure all this has been sung before.  It's gonna be a long night.

EDIT: Yep, finished it.  Pretty bad overall, but not completely unredeemable.  The script was just pretty poor.  There were scenes here which could've added up to the great movie people purport it to be, but it caters and panders to the stupid, ignorant general public, which explains why it's so widely acclaimed.  It's the Gladiator of racism.  Watch it win best picture, or at least get nominated.  I lump it with films like Boys Don't Cry, Bamboozled, Closer, and Dogville as films that mean well but miss the mark because they're too angry, pointed, on the nose, and/or sensationalistic just for sensationalism's sake.  Like I said, a few really great scenes, but the irony is way too strong.  It wants to be Magnolia, Lantana, or Short Cuts (though I doubt Haggis has even heard of Altman), but it lacks the finesse of these films, which is what makes them so great and this one so ... not.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

SPOILERS?

Yeah, when Cheadle basically sums up the movie in the first line, using the title in its context, it is immediately cheapened.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Ravi

It was like something shot for the trailer that accidentally made it into the final film.

abuck1220

wow, you guys are harsh. i thought it was pretty good. for me, the preachiness and sledge hammer subtlety was much worse in north country, which i think is an inferior film. i didn't like it because i learned about racism and stuff...i just thought it was a well-played drama with good characters and interesting stories.

my main problems w/ it was it was either too short or there were too many characters. bullock and fraser's characters were pretty much non-existent. it's tough to do an ensemble film w/ like 10 characters in an hour and fifty minutes.

given the fact that it's certainly magnolia-ish, i should have expected everyone here to hate it. of course, magnolia is probably a lot more like short cuts than this is like magnolia, but whatever...

modage

is it just me or is your avatar suddenly better quality?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

abuck1220

Quote from: modageis it just me or is your avatar suddenly better quality?

someone with much better computer skills fixed it for me.  :-D

glorious, isn't it?

modage

that person has no idea how much i appreciate it.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

pumba

yea this was deffinitely and after school special movie. But whatever, we got to see Don Cheadles ass!

"oorah!"
-Jamie Fox

mogwai

Quote from: modagethat person has no idea how much i appreciate it.
thank you. :kiss:

Gamblour.

Quote from: shnorff
"oorah!"
-Jamie Fox

Was that adding something to your post, or do you want it as a sig? Because you can do that.
WWPTAD?

JG

is this movie even worth renting?    i mean i want to join in on the bashing but there is so much that I want to see.