Best Film

Started by Jeremy Blackman, February 24, 2004, 06:54:50 PM

MrBurgerKing

I voted for Lord of the Rings, it seems odd to me that Lost in Translation wins. I wouldn't rebel if Master and Commander, or 21 Grams took it, as they are major works, but LiT winning is like walking into a Burger King and ordering a salad and water. They say less is more though, and at least the salad has crispy lettuce and ranch dressing, and the water isn't taken from the sink (I like refridgerator water personally, it just seems wrong drinking from a sink.. I have the same reservations about drinking from the toilet).

You Never Got Me Down Ray

I enjoyed Lost In Translation (7.6) and I expecetd it to win here, but I think 21 Grams was a much better movie all around (9.0). I felt LIT tried to be deep through subtlety, but fell short of it's intentions. It just didn't hit me like 21 Grams did, which I've seen 3 times thus far.

OVERRATED!!! :shock:
My life has taken another turn again. The days move along with regularity, over and over. One day indistinguishable from the next. A long, continuous chain. Then suddenly, there is change.

cine

Well, the reaction to LIT winning surprised me here. I thought everyone was going to be elated.

BreakingTheDark

Wow, City of God wasn't even nominated? That was by far the best movie of the year, followed by LOTR. I loved LIT, but beating out those two... eh...

modage

Quote from: CinephileWell, the reaction to LIT winning surprised me here. I thought everyone was going to be elated.
well some people must be, it did WIN!  they just must be mostly silent on this one.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SoNowThen

Kill Bill -- although the real best pictures of the year, American Splendor and City Of God, weren't even nominated.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Myxo

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Best Film: LOST IN TRANSLATION

THE NOMINEES

21 Grams
Finding Nemo
Kill Bill: Volume 1
Lord Of The Rings: The Return Of The King
Lost In Translation

LOTR: ROTK is still going to win the Oscar here though. I voted for it.

It's a tough call. I'm still leaning on the side of, "You've gotta give these three films credit, even if it means rewarding the third film in the trilogy."

Henry Hill

Kill Bill was the best picture of the year. hands down.

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: filmboy70Kill Bill was the best picture of the year. hands down.
I'm not even sure we should be judging it in this category in particular seeing as how none of us have seen the entire film.

Myxo

Quote from: Chest Rockwell
Quote from: filmboy70Kill Bill was the best picture of the year. hands down.
I'm not even sure we should be judging it in this category in particular seeing as how none of us have seen the entire film.

Same with "Passion of the Christ"

We haven't seen the resurrection yet.

That will be the sequel.

"Passion 2: Return of the Lord"

horrorchick76

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Best Film: LOST IN TRANSLATION

THE NOMINEES

21 Grams
Finding Nemo
Kill Bill: Volume 1
Lord Of The Rings: The Return Of The King
Lost In Translation

Man i wanted 21 Grams to win :-/ Lost in Translation was gay
poo

©brad

what the hell is going on here?

Pubrick

i think it's time to lock the forum.
under the paving stones.

cine

Quote from: Pi think it's time to lock the forum.
This one AND the PTA forum please-and-thank-you...

Pas

Sometimes Pas Rapport reads Xixax and weeps. Then, he just picks his nose obnoxiously, out of spite.