Best Screenplay

Started by Jeremy Blackman, February 24, 2004, 06:50:20 PM

Jeremy Blackman

Best Screenplay: LOST IN TRANSLATION (Sofia Coppola)

THE NOMINEES

21 Grams
American Splendor
Kill Bill: Volume 1
Lost In Translation
Mystic River

Finn

Best screenplay of the year!
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

Chest Rockwell

I do agree with this one. City of God would be a close call, though.

ElPandaRoyal

A decision that made me happy. Well, any decision in this cattegory would have made me happy.
Si

SHAFTR

I was really going for American Splendor, but this will do.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Kal

NEON MERCURY

what the phuck??........its all bout the 21 grams....

lost in translation screenplay  needs to be exposed for what it is....
which  is.....ahem.."one of sophia's  cheesy diary entry about love turned into a film w/ daddy' s money"..........zzzzeeoptrope........

Kal

Quote from: NEON MERCURYwhat the phuck??........its all bout the 21 grams....

lost in translation screenplay  needs to be exposed for what it is....
which  is.....ahem.."one of sophia's  cheesy diary entry about love turned into a film w/ daddy' s money"..........zzzzeeoptrope........

jalaousy will kill you

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: andykjalaousy
oh my...

Ghostboy

Lost In Translation was my favorite film of the year, but I don't imagine it was all that much on the page (I think Coppola has admitted as much). I would have given it to something else.

cine

Quote from: GhostboyI would have given it to something else.
I did: American Splendor.

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: GhostboyLost In Translation was my favorite film of the year, but I don't imagine it was all that much on the page (I think Coppola has admitted as much). I would have given it to something else.
But that's why the movie that turned out was so brilliant--because of how loose the screenplay is. I'll say that I'd probably never want to read the screenplay itself, but just because it wasn't a tight script that the the actors HAD to follow doesn't make it at all inferior to say American Splendor's script. Sofia made it a combination of things: the script, the actors, and her spontaneity as a director. I applaud her for this, because I think the movie turned out better than it would have had it been a strict script to follow. Therefore I gave her Best Screenplay, anyways.

moonshiner

i didn't participate this year because it wouldn't be fair, the only way i could see all the nominees would be to illegally download them with a shitty transfer or travel across the border to Montreal...fresh on my mind though because i just saw Matchstick Men, very well written movie, would like to read the screenplay to that
the rumble of the train trails off to infinity, a place where no one goes anymore

JC, no not that one

Pubrick

Quote from: Chest RockwellBut that's why the movie that turned out was so brilliant--because of how loose the screenplay is. I'll say that I'd probably never want to read the screenplay itself, but just because it wasn't a tight script that the the actors HAD to follow doesn't make it at all inferior to say American Splendor's script. Sofia made it a combination of things: the script, the actors, and her spontaneity as a director. I applaud her for this, because I think the movie turned out better than it would have had it been a strict script to follow. Therefore I gave her Best Screenplay, anyways.
oh, so u like lost in translation?
under the paving stones.

Myxo

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Best Screenplay: LOST IN TRANSLATION (Sofia Coppola)

THE NOMINEES

21 Grams
American Splendor
Kill Bill: Volume 1
Lost In Translation
Mystic River

Tough call here.