Best Female Performance

Started by Jeremy Blackman, February 24, 2004, 06:44:22 PM

Chest Rockwell

It actually is pretty surprising that Scarlett won. I thought I was voting for the underdog.
But I'll say it again. Crying and yelling does not make a performance any better than a well-executed subtle performance. What made Naomi's performance stupendous in Mulholland Dr. was how well she achieved the two different characters, using very slight techniques so that you barely notice the two characters are played by the same actress. Not because she was able to cry intensely while masturbating. That was the difference between hers and Scarlett's performances this year. I really liked both of them immensely, and were equal on how far they reached/affected me. But I just tend to vote for the one that's not necessarily emotional powerful.

Pas

It could have been Alison Lohman

modage

Quote from: IP FreelyCrying and yelling does not make a performance any better than a well-executed subtle performance.
yes, but at the same time i cant think of one scene in the film that i would consider difficult to pull off for Scarlett.  she seemed to coast through the whole thing on a variation of her Ghost World character.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

You Never Got Me Down Ray

My vote went to Naomi as well.
My life has taken another turn again. The days move along with regularity, over and over. One day indistinguishable from the next. A long, continuous chain. Then suddenly, there is change.

brockly

Quote from: themodernage02i voted for Uma because from what must've been on the page to how she went about actually executing (no pun intended) that character must've been some effort on her part.  also, her range was greater in being able to deliver tongue in cheek lines one minute, making you believe she can kick your ass the next, and delivering all the devastatingness of naomi watts 21 grams performance in 1 scene when she wakes up in the hospital to find her baby is gone.

I agree. I voted Uma too. I was hit harder by her "where's my baby" scene than anything Naomi did in 21 Grams. And on top of that, she played a great "dumb-ass blonde" tourist, bad ass and that opening scene really blew me away as well. Naomi would be a definate second, however.

Sanjuro

if naomi didnt win here, what more in the oscars?
"When you see your own photo, do you say you're a fiction?"

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: Sanjuroif naomi didnt win here, what more in the oscars?
Sadly Charlize Theron will win. Naomi was much more powerful.

cine

Quote from: Chest Rockwell
Quote from: Sanjuroif naomi didnt win here, what more in the oscars?
Sadly Charlize Theron will win. Naomi was much more powerful.
Don't say "sadly", buddy. You don't know what you're talking about. Accept the fact that you don't know when somebody is overacting and when somebody isn't. It's okay. When you're a little older, you might know. Theron will win and it will be deserved.

ono

And I assume I don't know what I'm talking about either?  Doubt it.  Monster was crap, and Theron's performance was nothing special.  Watts' performance had power that reminded me of Brando, much like Ebert's Barry comparison in Monster's Ball (though I don't know if I agree with that one).  As stated many times before, I want Castle-Hughes to pull off the upset, but Watts winning would be well-deserved.  Anyone can uglify herself and play "the monster" as Theron did, but to channel real human heartbreak like Watts did takes real skill and talent.  Also, as I said in the 21 Grams thread, the scene in the kitchen where she breaks down just floored me.

cine

Quote from: OnomatopoeiaAnyone can uglify herself and play "the monster" as Theron did,
That's an ugly assumption and you know it. Furthermore, if you know anything about acting, you would know automatically that she's not overacting. That question is not even up for debate.

brockly

Quote from: Cinephile
Quote from: OnomatopoeiaAnyone can uglify herself and play "the monster" as Theron did,
That's an ugly assumption and you know it. Furthermore, if you know anything about acting, you would know automatically that she's not overacting. That question is not even up for debate.

Yes. And if you understood cinema you'd know that Kill Bill is the best film of the year. Anyone who disagrees doesn't know shit about making movies.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Brock LandersAnd if you understood cinema you'd know that Kill Bill is the best film of the year. Anyone who disagrees doesn't know shit about making movies.

I know enough to have a better screenplay than the one Kill Bill had.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

cine

Quote from: Brock LandersYes. And if you understood cinema you'd know that Kill Bill is the best film of the year. Anyone who disagrees doesn't know shit about making movies.
That was a bad joke, right? Saying something is "the best film of the year" is strictly an opinion. Saying something is overacting is either fact or it's not. You can have an opinion about overacting, I believe, but when it all comes down to it, it's either overacting or it's not. And I guess one would have to know acting to understand it. And in this case, it's not overacting.

ono

I never said Theron was overacting.  I just said her performance wasn't NEARLY as great as the buzz (including Ebert's creamed pants) would have you believe.  And it's not an ugly assumption, assuming that pun was intended.  Every question is up for debate, especially something as subjective as the merits of one performance versus another.  That's what these silly (and I use that with my tongue partially in cheek) awards shows are about.

cine

Quote from: Onomatopoeia
I never said Theron was overacting.  I just said her performance wasn't NEARLY as great as the buzz (including Ebert's creamed pants) would have you believe.  And it's not an ugly assumption, assuming that pun was intended.  Every question is up for debate, especially something as subjective as the merits of one performance versus another.  That's what these silly (and I use that with my tongue partially in cheek) awards shows are about.
I was commenting on Chest Rockwell's overacting criticism. I was never saying that you don't know what you're talking about when it comes to Watts performance. I've only been talking about the question of Theron overacting or not. That's it. Things can be up for debate but when one is discussing the issue of overacting, you must admit that there's a right or wrong. You can say, "it felt to me like she was overacting" but that doesn't mean she was. You can say, "to me, it felt like it was too over-the-top." Doesn't mean it was. THAT is where debate may come into play. But -- once again -- she either was or wasn't and people who study acting and do acting just know right off the bat that Theron did NOT overact.