Best Female Performance

Started by Jeremy Blackman, February 24, 2004, 06:44:22 PM

Jeremy Blackman

Best Female Performance: Scarlett Johansson for LOST IN TRANSLATION

THE NOMINEES

Scarlett Johansson (LOST IN TRANSLATION)
Nicole Kidman (COLD MOUNTAIN)
Alison Lohman (MATCHSTICK MEN)
Uma Thurman (KILL BILL: Volume 1)
Naomi Watts (21 GRAMS)

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Sleuth

exactly how many aliases did Chest use to vote?
I like to hug dogs

Finn

She probably gives the most under-rated performance this year.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

RegularKarate

Quote from: Sloyjexactly how many aliases did Chest use to vote?

Let's see:

Rest Chockwell
Chest Wellrock
West Chellrock
Rockst Chewell
Rocky Chocky
I.P. Freely
Chesty Laroo
Chest in Translation
Rech Stockwell
Dean Stockwell
Dan Marino

modage

i think she's actually the last person i would've voted for in this catagory.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Sleuth

Actually, I still haven't seen it, but...Naomi...
I like to hug dogs

samsong

Quote from: QuoyleShe probably gives the most under-rated performance this year.

I think Zooey Deschanel (All the Real Girls) should have that dubious honor.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: SloyjActually, I still haven't seen it, but...Naomi...
I can't really complain, but it just seems that Naomi was the obvious choice.

Chest Rockwell

I would have been happy with either Scarlett or Naomi, personally.

ElPandaRoyal

Naomi... NAOMI... Naomi... Watts...
Si

godardian

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman

This is the exact same way I feel... No Naomi for best female performance is sort of shocking and honestly makes me question what people's criteria were. Nothing wrong with Scarlett, but she was clearly not called upon to do nearly the things Watts did with such, again, intuition- she may be the most intuitive female actor currently playing leads in movies.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

modage

Quote from: godardian
Quote from: Jeremy Blackman

This is the exact same way I feel... No Naomi for best female performance is sort of shocking and honestly makes me question what people's criteria were. Nothing wrong with Scarlett, but she was clearly not called upon to do nearly the things Watts did with such, again, intuition- she may be the most intuitive female actor currently playing leads in movies.
i agree.  i thought she was a lock, although personally i voted for Uma because from what must've been on the page to how she went about actually executing (no pun intended) that character must've been some effort on her part.  also, her range was greater in being able to deliver tongue in cheek lines one minute, making you believe she can kick your ass the next, and delivering all the devastatingness of naomi watts 21 grams performance in 1 scene when she wakes up in the hospital to find her baby is gone.

SHAFTR

hmmm, we aren't much different than the Academy...shafting Naomi.  I think Scarlett was good, but many actresses can pull off the 'alienated' feel.  Watts showed incredible emotional range in 21 Grams.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Pedro