Best Cinematography: KILL BILL: Volume 1

THE NOMINEES

Cold Mountain
Kill Bill: Volume 1
The Last Samurai
The Lord of the Rings: The Return Of The King
Lost In Translation

Chest Rockwell

Though I obviously voted for LIT, I'll agree with this one. It was pretty stunning.

ElPandaRoyal

And this shows why Oscars suck and Xixax rule
Si

SHAFTR

Marvelous.  Kill Bill really is an exercise in style and the cinematography was a huge part of that.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Ghostboy

Even though Girl With A Pearl Earring's was better.

Chest Rockwell

All three were great.
Kill Bill was stunning.
GWAPE looked like it could have been storyboarded with paintings.
Lost in Translation perfectly conveyed happiness and melancholy while also really making it feel dreamy and like it was a memory of a past vacation.

I would have been happy with any of them.

SoNowThen

Quote from: GhostboyEven though Girl With A Pearl Earring's was better.

Well, I've only seen preview clips of GWAPE, but based on their respective articles in AC, I'd say Kill Bill seemed more complex (in terms of camera moves, all the dimmer work, variety yet still maintenance of a clear vision, etc).

Agree/disagree?
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: SoNowThenWell, I've only seen preview clips of GWAPE, but based on their respective articles in AC, I'd say Kill Bill seemed more complex (in terms of camera moves, all the dimmer work, variety yet still maintenance of a clear vision, etc).

Agree/disagree?
More complex, definitely... but Pearl Earring's cinematography was simple, delicate, and beautiful.

I think Kill Bill is better, though.