Best Editing

Started by Jeremy Blackman, February 24, 2004, 06:26:47 PM

ElPandaRoyal

Finally, Los Gramas gaƱaran algo...

If this hadn't won this award... well, it wouldn't have won it.
Si

RegularKarate

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Quote from: RegularKarateputting things out of order doesn't make good editing.
Yes it does! If it's meaningful.

no... making it meaningfull would be up to the writer or director.  It's usually not the editor's decision to make things non-sequential, it's usually embedded in the script or later decided by the director.  

Execution is what makes it good editing.

I'm not saying 21 Grams had BAD editing, it just wasn't really that different from anything else.  Maybe a little tighter, but not really all that noticibly so.

Ghostboy

The editing in 21 Grams was great, regardless of whether it was planned or a random sequencer was fed into the editing program and the Avid spit out the movie. But The Hulk, if for nothing else, blew me away because of the editing. Some of those multi-panel transitions were breathtaking in their complexity. I've never seen anything like that before, on that level, and while I would probably exclude the Hulk from any other awards, I'd gladly hand this one over to it.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: RegularKarateno... making it meaningfull would be up to the writer or director.  It's usually not the editor's decision to make things non-sequential, it's usually embedded in the script or later decided by the director.  
But the director is involved in editing. Are we supposed to limit this category only to what the director doesn't touch?

RegularKarate

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Quote from: RegularKarateno... making it meaningfull would be up to the writer or director.  It's usually not the editor's decision to make things non-sequential, it's usually embedded in the script or later decided by the director.  
But the director is involved in editing. Are we supposed to limit this category only to what the director doesn't touch?

No, what i'm saying is that the non-sequentialalitiness of it all is pre-decided.  It's part of writing.  It's a game plan.  It's the execution of it that matters... that's what should be voted on.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: RegularKarateNo, what i'm saying is that the non-sequentialalitiness of it all is pre-decided.  It's part of writing.  It's a game plan.  It's the execution of it that matters... that's what should be voted on.
It's not completely the non-sequentialness that I'm talking about, though. Even if the order of everything was cut together exactly as planned (which I find hard to believe), the transitions and the timing are pretty innovative.

And Hulk probably had storyboards... is that part of the writing process?

Chest Rockwell

Oh man, Jeremy Blackman, you're my hero.

Pas

Quote from: IP Freely
Well I disagree. I found nothing particularly special about the Hulk's editing. At least no enough to say it'll be influencing any movies any time soon.

I don't know if the Hulk had the 'best' editing, but you have to admit it WAS special. I don't think you even saw the movie/know what editing is.

Quote from: IP FreelyOh man, Jeremy Blackman, you're my hero.

Stop that.

bonanzataz

hi. i just wrote pretty much the exact thing rk wrote and then went back and saw he already posted it. i guess it's b/c he's me with a moustache.

and, yeah, i hated most everything about the hulk. those "brilliant" transitions you speak of completely took me out of the movie every time they would happen.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: taz.and, yeah, i hated most everything about the hulk.
I still don't understand that.

Can't you at least appreciate its editing?