Hulk
Kill Bill: Volume 1
The Lord of the Rings: The Return Of The King
Matrix Reloaded

Chest Rockwell

I don't remember what I put for this

Pas

Quote from: IP FreelyI don't remember what I put for this

Just go and see in your sentbox and stop overposting.

Matrix Reloaded had neat sound, it's the only movie's sound I remembered when I saw the nominees. I think this is just another QT win.

modage

i voted for Nemo because it had great sound.  and they had to create EVERYthing from scratch.  *unlike the matrix where they probably taped all the sounds when they filmed the whole movie live in one take.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pas

I haven't seen Nemo yet... anyway Sound is always to least exciting category

MacGuffin

Quote from: Pas RapportMatrix Reloaded had neat sound, it's the only movie's sound I remembered when I saw the nominees.

I think it was the bowling pin knock-down sound effect that hurt it's chances during the burly brawl. Regardless, Reloaded rumbles my speakers more than Kill Bill will.

Quote from: themodernage02i voted for Nemo because it had great sound.  and they had to create EVERYthing from scratch.  *unlike the matrix where they probably taped all the sounds when they filmed the whole movie live in one take.

Well, sound is more than just effects. Check out the burly brawl fight and listen to the room spin around you as Neo fights all the Agent Smiths and the camera pans 'round 360, the rush of the traffic whip past you as are on the motorcycle with Trinity and all the buildings and cars tumble when Neo flies.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SoNowThen

I really figured LOTR would walk away with this...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

©brad

i can't help but cringe at that bowling sound. what were they thinking!?

but, besides that, it deserves to win. i really don't understand why the matrix sequels have been completely snubbed in the oscar race, not that it matters. say what you will about the movies themselves- you can't really talk too much shit about the effects.

i would assume because of the so-so reception of revolutions, the brothers were like "ahh fuck it, we're not dealing w/ the awards" or something like that?

modage

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: themodernage02i voted for Nemo because it had great sound.  and they had to create EVERYthing from scratch.  *unlike the matrix where they probably taped all the sounds when they filmed the whole movie live in one take.

Well, sound is more than just effects. Check out the burly brawl fight and listen to the room spin around you as Neo fights all the Agent Smiths and the camera pans 'round 360, the rush of the traffic whip past you as are on the motorcycle with Trinity and all the buildings and cars tumble when Neo flies.
yeah, i actually had my votes narrowed down to Matrix and Nemo and went with Nemo because i really liked the underwater ambience.  but it really could've gone either way.  i think in a lot of catagories people went with the movie they liked more rather than the movie that maybe had better sound/editing/etc.  since hulk, matrix are not unanimous favorites around here they went home empty handed in technical catagories that they excelled in.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

bonanzataz

i voted kill bill b/c i remember seeing it and thinking it had such cool sound effects. it was really inventive and went against what was expected from a sound mix for an action movie. part of the reason i loved kill bill so much was for its use of sound. so, i voted for it. all the nominees had really good sound though. i guess i'm just a kill bill fanboy.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Pubrick

Quote from: ©bradi can't help but cringe at that bowling sound. what were they thinking!?
Quote from: PAndy Wachowski: WTF happened to us? We ruined a good thing? We forgot what the first one was about?

Larry Wachowski: Oh be nice! Does this dress make me look fat?
under the paving stones.

phil marlowe

Quote from: ©bradbut, besides that, it deserves to win. i really don't understand why the matrix sequels have been completely snubbed in the oscar race, not that it matters. say what you will about the movies themselves- you can't really talk too much shit about the effects.
i liked both movies but hell...that opening shot of trinity falling in the beginning of reloaded was gawd awfull... and so was the last third or so of neo fighting the smiths(!!) in the same movie. looked like some bad version of tekken or something.

Myxo

Matrix Reloaded ownz Kill Bill in the sound department.

Reinhold

KBv1 does have great sound... but it was nowhere near the genius that was Star Wars Episode II.

no, i'm not high. no, i'm not serious.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

Pedro

i remember liking the sound in kill bill a lot.  in particular, i dug the absence of music during some big fights.