Best Documentary: A Decade Under the Influence

THE NOMINEES

Capturing The Friedmans
A Decade Under The Influence
Fog Of War
Spellbound
Winged Migration

modage

admittedly, i voted for this because i hadnt seen any of the other nominees.  i didnt really think it was that good though.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Finn

A very good movie although I would've gone for Capturing the Friedmans.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

Weak2ndAct

Did anyone even get a chance to see 'The Fog of War'?  Or 'Capturing the Friedman's' for that matter?

ono

The Fog of War is just now coming to my town.  I may go see it this weekend.  I missed Capturing the Friedmans when it came here.  I voted for A Decade Under the Influence because I thought Winged Migration could've been better, and there was nothing to Spellbound except following the kids around.  Decade was informative, which gave it the most points for me, though I'm sure if could've been "better," too.

BrainSushi

I would have preffered Friedmans... I don't know if or when Fog of War is coming here.

Chest Rockwell

I don't remember what I voted for considering I havent seen of the films. I think I voted for Capturing the Friedmans. Either that or Fog of War.

jokerspath

I've seen everything except Decade at the same theatre.  Was Decade ever shown in theatres?  I know there's a DVD for it, is it the same length as when it was aired?

aw
THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

Weak2ndAct

Spurned by 'Decade's' win, I finally got around to catching this.  What retreaded-chicken-shit-garbage.  You would think that a documentary about a controversial/landmark time of moviemaking-- made by actual 'respected' filmmakers-- would be something fascinating, not such a boring, back-slapping, self-congradulatory waste of time.  The closest the film even got to touching upon anything remotely 'dicey,' was in the last fucking 20 minutes, and even then, it was just candy-coated and non-specific.

I've heard all these stories in a hundred different places and told a hundred better ways.  The film adaptation of 'Easy Riders, Raging Bulls,' was a monstrous piece of shit, but at least that was almost to be expected considering the lack of interview subjects and talent behind the camera.  The failure of the 'Decade' really shocked me.  Is it because there's too much reverence, or perhaps a timidity to ask the real tough questions?  I don't know.  There were too many players missing from this (Spielberg, Lucas, Beatty, Nicholson, Cimino to name a few) to make it a complete work.  That apology at the end of the film does not suffice.

PS: Capping the mess off w/ the Ted Demme salute didn't help.