Best DVD

Started by Jeremy Blackman, February 24, 2004, 06:19:09 PM

SoNowThen

Oh believe me, we've been through this all before...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Ravi

That "guest" post was from me.  I forgot I was logged out.  Didn't know we could post without logging in.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: RaviThat "guest" post was from me.  I forgot I was logged out.  Didn't know we could post without logging in.
I disabled guest posting a while ago... but since I just created this forum, that permission was accidentally left in there. I guess I'll change it now.

You Never Got Me Down Ray

All great, LOTR probably deserves to win, but I voted for Fear And Loathing because it's a good movie, too. Nah LOTR is ok.

I would've voted for my shitty City of God bootleg if I could. Extra features include case with shitty insert, chapter selections, and extra special limited edition "For Screening Purposes Only" banner on top of picture!
My life has taken another turn again. The days move along with regularity, over and over. One day indistinguishable from the next. A long, continuous chain. Then suddenly, there is change.

Myxo

Quote from: You Never Got Me Down RayAll great, LOTR probably deserves to win, but I voted for Fear And Loathing because it's a good movie, too. Nah LOTR is ok.

I would've voted for my shitty City of God bootleg if I could. Extra features include case with shitty insert, chapter selections, and extra special limited edition "For Screening Purposes Only" banner on top of picture!

I used to work for the corporate office of Hollywood Video and they gave these away all the time. I've got a whole grip of "promotional" low budget and "B" movies on a seperate shelf. Sometimes I put one in while I am playing video games or something.. but I was surprised that every now and then they'd get a copy of a really great film, and nobody would take one home. I've got a screener of Northfork, Owning Mahony, and a few other great films all with that annoying little "This is not for sale: For promotional use only" banner running across the top.

But hey, better than nothing right?

Pastor Parsley

Quote from: OnomatopoeiaLotR bores me, so I could care less about its thousands of hours of extras.

Ditto.  I liked the first film in the series, but after that I was bored stiff.

Here is my summary for the plot of the last two films in the LOTR series: First they fight and fight some more....and then they fight again.  Then the credits roll for an hour and a half and you wonder why the movie wasn't better with 3 and a half million people working on it for two years.

modage

yeah but its not best movie, its best DVD.  the film should be almost irrelevant in picking the winner.  the transfer, packaging, extras, etc.  alone should make the film qualify for best dvd.  find another dvd that is more well puttogether and comprehensive than that one.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Henry Hill

EXACTLY! get your dicks out of the PDL dvd already.  :roll:

godardian

I voted for Straw Dogs. For me, best DVD = best "rescued" film, which to me is pretty much the most valuable thing about the format, plus this one had some very nice extras and a very nice transfer.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.