Best DVD

Started by Jeremy Blackman, February 24, 2004, 06:19:09 PM

SoNowThen

It was between Straw Dogs and Fear And Loathing, for best presentation of a film that has previously been short-changed, for most interesting packaging/design, for wealth of extra material, for diversity of material, and for the wonderful essay-booklets that come with them.

LOTR:TT extended is a great dvd set, but imo, as good as the extra hours of docs are, they lack the depth of the CC releases. Plus SD and FALILV are better movies...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

moonshiner

wait, Fear and Loathing is a better movie than Return of the King, well that's just ridiculous...
the rumble of the train trails off to infinity, a place where no one goes anymore

JC, no not that one

modage

Quote from: SoNowThenLOTR:TT extended is a great dvd set, but imo, as good as the extra hours of docs are, they lack the depth of the CC releases. Plus SD and FALILV are better movies...
sure.... you criterion whore.  :wink:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Myxo

THE NOMINEES

Casablanca (Two-Disc Special Edition)
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (Criterion)
The Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers (Special Extended Edition)
Punch-Drunk Love
Straw Dogs (Criterion)

OMG!!!

ROBBED!! PTA JUST GOT ROBBED!!

Heh.

I love ya PTA, but yer DVD sucked.

ono

I still think Punch-Drunk Love was the best DVD.  LotR bores me, so I could care less about its thousands of hours of extras.  And seriously, with PDL's extras, I can watch the film and the stuff over and over again and not get sick of it.  That's called replay value.  That's called quality.  So we didn't get a commentary?  Boo-hoo.  I was disappointed, too, but it's not everything, and some things about certain films are left to the imagination.  If PTA had at length talked about Magnolia or Punch-Drunk Love, it would definitely remove some of the mystique of those films and made them so great.  PDL is the DVD that's obviously gonna get the most use from me, the most bang for my $19.95, so yeah, that's why it's the best -- if anyone was actually wondering why I was "crazy/stupid/delirious" enough to vote for it.

Pas

To say the PDL dvd sucked is pretty fucking stupid.

modage

yeah it didnt 'suck', it just underwhelmed compared to his past 2 dvds.  the LIT dvd 'sucks'.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Myxo

Quote from: Pas RapportTo say the PDL dvd sucked is pretty fucking stupid.

I didn't say the movie sucked Tom. The film is fantastic, and one of my personal favorites. The dvd is seriously lacking though.

Looks great.

Doesn't taste great.

There is no way in hell his DVD is in any way shape or form better than than the extended version of TTT. It's not even close.

I was seriously dissapointed as a huge PTA fan in the PDL dvd. What do I get for my money? I get a great looking transfer, and a couple of clever extras? The mattress man commercial is funny, and I like the "outtakes", but seriously.. I basically saw everything extra on the DVD in an hour. If you wanna win this category, a 'Superbit' transfer isn't gunna do it.

Extras are.

SHAFTR

Quote from: Myxomatosis
Quote from: Pas RapportTo say the PDL dvd sucked is pretty fucking stupid.

I didn't say the movie sucked Tom. The film is fantastic, and one of my personal favorites. The dvd is seriously lacking though.

Looks great.

Doesn't taste great.

There is no way in hell his DVD is in any way shape or form better than than the extended version of TTT. It's not even close.

I was seriously dissapointed as a huge PTA fan in the PDL dvd. What do I get for my money? I get a great looking transfer, and a couple of clever extras? The mattress man commercial is funny, and I like the "outtakes", but seriously.. I basically saw everything extra on the DVD in an hour. If you wanna win this category, a 'Superbit' transfer isn't gunna do it.

Extras are.

I can watch PDL in it's entirity without changing discs.  That's nice.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

SoNowThen

Reasons why PDL didn't deserve to win:

newer film that required a lot less work than some of the other discs for visual improvements, had potential for TONS of great extras and deleted scenes and footage etc, but included very little

I don't think anybody can say it sucked. It is a fairly unique dvd, and gave us a good transfer and sound which is really the most important point of any disc. But did it BLOW US AWAY? No. And I for one was pretty staggered at getting the two CC discs and delving into them.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Pas

I didn't say it should have won, but it didn't suck like the LiT dvd sucked as mini-mac said.

Myxo

Quote from: Pas RapportI didn't say it should have won, but it didn't suck like the LiT dvd sucked as mini-mac said.

The LiT DVD is horrible. I can't disagree with you at all there.

I had to buy it though.. and I'll buy the "Special Edition" when they release that.

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: Myxomatosis
Quote from: Pas RapportI didn't say it should have won, but it didn't suck like the LiT dvd sucked as mini-mac said.
and I'll buy the "Special Edition" when they release that.
Say what?

ono

He's probably just assuming they're gonna milk LiT for all it's worth once it wins best picture, best director, best actor in a lead role, and best screenplay.  :-D

Anonymous

Quote from: SoNowThenReasons why PDL didn't deserve to win:

newer film that required a lot less work than some of the other discs for visual improvements, had potential for TONS of great extras and deleted scenes and footage etc, but included very little

I don't think anybody can say it sucked. It is a fairly unique dvd, and gave us a good transfer and sound which is really the most important point of any disc. But did it BLOW US AWAY? No. And I for one was pretty staggered at getting the two CC discs and delving into them.

I don't even know why it was nominated.  The extras weren't very good.  If this DVD was for some non-PTA movie, you all would probably hate it.