nominating the 2004 xixax awards

Started by Jeremy Blackman, January 12, 2004, 09:01:01 PM

SoNowThen

Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Cinephile
Quote from: life_boyHow about a little senseless campaigning?
How about not?

So someone who wanted to make a case for "May" or "Cabin Fever" for Best Debut Film should keep it to themselves?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

oops, forgot about May.  not about Cabin Fever though.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SoNowThen

I must say, there really was a SPLENDOR of AMERICAN movies this year...

...I guess it would be hard to pick a favorite.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

MacGuffin

Quote from: SoNowThenI must say, there really was a SPLENDOR of AMERICAN movies this year...

...I guess it would be hard to pick a favorite.

I SEE what you mean. By the way, right now I'm having breakfast and buttering a BISCUIT.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

oh thats interesting because i was just heating up my PETER in a frying PAN.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ono

ACTUALLY, that must be quite painful.  Don't you LOVE it when that happens?

©brad

oh, i see what's going on here. so the trick is to separate the words in the title and bold them, instead of simply saying finding nemo was really great. right?

HAHAHAHA you guys are tons of fun . :)
context, context, context.

Fernando

Dear Lord, of all the things you have said nothing rings the bell to me, I shall return to my home and ponder...of all riddles you've been saying which one would be the king?

abuck1220

Jeremy Blackman

That's it, you're all disqualified.

How can you so disrespectfully undermine the process? It's like we're in kindergarten.

samsong

brockly

hmmm, there's something fishy going on around here, but my brain ain't big enough to figure it out :(