nominating the 2004 xixax awards

Started by Jeremy Blackman, January 12, 2004, 09:01:01 PM

Fernando

Guys, why waste time arguing about the dvd's and what not?
You all know this will win.

modage

Quote from: FernandoGuys, why waste time arguing about the dvd's and what not?
You all know this will win.
PUNCH-DRUNK LOVE
i wont vote for it.  the extras suck.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Redlum

...well last year The Royal Tenebaums beat the Extended edition of Fellowship of the ring, so anythings possible in that catergory.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Jeremy Blackman

Just a pre-emptive explanation... Sarah Bolger from In America is eligible for Best Female Performance (as opposed to "supporting"). Same goes with Gretchen Mol in The Shape of Things.

SoNowThen

Are we gonna get a definitive (and hopefully satisfying) answer to the dvd question?
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Derek

I wanted to vote for this, but I had a hard time finding 5 movies to fill the slots, let alone the other categories. Haven't seen much this year...just give it all to Return of the King. Haven't seen Lost In Translation, but it seems like a very slight movie.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: SoNowThenAre we gonna get a definitive (and hopefully satisfying) answer to the dvd question?
The verdict was given, as far as I know. A single DVD is so different from a collection of DVDs that they're incompatible.

Quote from: DerekI wanted to vote for this, but I had a hard time finding 5 movies to fill the slots, let alone the other categories. Haven't seen much this year...just give it all to Return of the King. Haven't seen Lost In Translation, but it seems like a very slight movie.
NO, PLEASE!

You can vote for as much or as little as you want, anything will help give us more democratic results. A ballot with just a few votes is perfectly fine, especially if the alternative is nothing.

SoNowThen

So we're not voting for box sets then?

I suppose that's fair. But I'm left wanting. :?
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Gamblour.

Edit: I shouldn't have posted that publicly, sorry.
WWPTAD?

SHAFTR

Supporting vs Lead

Patricia Clarkson in Station Agent?
Hope Davis in American Splendor?
Ludivine Sagnier in Swimming Pool?
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

ComixFan

Quote from: themodernage02
i wont vote for it.  the extras suck.

But the Matress Man commercial is friggin' hilarious.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: SHAFTRSupporting vs Lead

Patricia Clarkson in Station Agent?
Hope Davis in American Splendor?
Ludivine Sagnier in Swimming Pool?
Patricia Clarkson & Hope Davis - Lead.

We're guessing Ludivine Sagnier is supporting in Swimming Pool, with Charlotte Rampling leading. I suppose that's debatable, though.

MacGuffin

Just a reminder:

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanThe deadline is January 25.

Less than a week to go! Go to Page 1 for all the details.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SoNowThen

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm waiting 'til the night of the 24th to send my list in. That way I can cram as many 2003 movies I missed into this week, thus being as fair as my biased little mind will allow into the selection process. Perhaps many are doing this, and that's why so few have sent in their selections...

just a thought

modage

i was going to try to squeeze in In America and possibly House Of Sand And Fog first, but i was running out of time and didnt want to wait and then forget so i just sent mine in.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.