nominating the 2004 xixax awards

Started by Jeremy Blackman, January 12, 2004, 09:01:01 PM

modage

so even though the Alien Quadrilogy is a monument of awesome dvdness, we cant nominate it?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

RegularKarate

no... I agree with Jeremy that it's not fair.

Though the only place that's really going to snag is with films like the Indiana Jones Trilogy that is ONLY available as a boxed set.

Gamblour.

I don't agree with this no box-set thing. DVDs that are sold in box-sets are sold like that for a reason. As a dvd category, we are not judging on the movies individually, but on the product as a whole, specifically the special features. Which ever dvd contains the most-comprehensive special features should be the winner, because the special features are included specifically to help you understand the film better. If it just so happens that a film follows or precedes a film in the series, combining the films in a box set only stands to enhance the understanding of the film and the series as a whole.

When you purchase a box-set, that is the dvd product, and should be judged on its own, not its individual parts.
Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Including box sets as a whole gives them an unfair advantage. Like, a Kubrick Collection or a trilogy would probably be better than a given individual movie.

No shit it would be better, that's part of the product. When we're judging dvds, it should be the whole that stands to make it the best selection. Sure, director's box-sets might have grounds to be disqualified because there isn't much of a link between the stories of the films. However, Blue, White, and Red should not be set apart, they are one in the same, they go together. Indiana Jones should not be split up either, the bonus disc is the clincher of the dvd set, you wouldn't vote for Temple of Doom, because you'd be voting based on the film. Would you want us to nominate the bonus disc only? The films are a part of the set. This is really a bad move.
WWPTAD?

ono

Red, White, and Blue can all be bought individually.

Pubrick

Quote from: Gambloren das ManhörenI don't agree with this no box-set thing. DVDs that are sold in box-sets are sold like that for a reason. As a dvd category, we are not judging on the movies individually, but on the product as a whole, specifically the special features.
dude, if ppl can follow that concept it would work, but u know they will end up voting for the movie and not the dvd. just like they got confused about the dekapenticon, voting for their favorite and expecting "the best".

if the ppl can understand that the dvd category means THE DVD AND ITS FEATURES AND HOW IT COMPLIMENTS THE FILM, then sure, by all means vote for box-sets.

but if one vote comes in for a fucking bare-bones dvd of mulholland drive or sumshit, then u will know the ppl aren't ready for this category.
under the paving stones.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Gambloren das ManhörenNo shit it would be better, that's part of the product.

So it's an entirely different product than the normal DVD, isn't it? How could it possibly compete in the same category?

Gamblour.

Quote from: OnomatopoeiaRed, White, and Blue can all be bought individually.

Quote from: Gambloren das ManhörenIf it just so happens that a film follows or precedes a film in the series, combining the films in a box set only stands to enhance the understanding of the film and the series as a whole.

When you purchase a box-set, that is the dvd product, and should be judged on its own, not its individual parts.

Quote from: Pdude, if ppl can follow that concept it would work, but u know they will end up voting for the movie and not the dvd. just like they got confused about the dekapenticon, voting for their favorite and expecting "the best".

I don't see how this could be that hard to follow. I didn't vote for a certain movie that came out dvd this year, even though it was my favorite film of last year, because its features were awful. I really can't see how people would get confused and vote for their favorite movies that came out on dvd.
WWPTAD?

Sleuth

I like to hug dogs

Gamblour.

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Quote from: Gambloren das ManhörenNo shit it would be better, that's part of the product.

So it's an entirely different product than the normal DVD, isn't it? How could it possibly compete in the same category?

Why are we splitting up box-sets to make things "fair"? It makes no sense to me.

Just as an example: If the Alien Quadrilogy has the best special features, shouldn't it win? Otherwise, by the way you want it to be, you'd have some people voting for Alien or Aliens, the vote would split everywhere, when they all clearly are voting for the same set. If someone thinks a box-set is so good that they're gonna vote for the individual movies of the set, then the set should be seen as one dvd.
WWPTAD?

Pubrick

Quote from: SlorgCANCEL ALL XIXAX AWARD
CANCEL ALL SLORG

HE HAS FALLEN OFF
under the paving stones.

Sleuth

I like to hug dogs

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

modage

Quote from: Pbut if one vote comes in for a fucking bare-bones dvd of mulholland drive or sumshit, then u will know the ppl aren't ready for this category.
i agree.  like, i wont nominate any dvd that comes in standard casing, because if the packaging isnt thought out enough to do something beyond the snapper or the keepcase, than it aint BEST.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

cine

Quote from: Gambloren das ManhörenOtherwise, by the way you want it to be, you'd have some people voting for Alien or Aliens, the vote would split everywhere, when they all clearly are voting for the same set.
Yes, this is what I agree with especially. Take the Chaplin Collection for example. It was released/advertised as a box set and so I bought it as the first volume of the Collection. Splitting up the 4 films screws up the voting because they all have great features for the set. It's nearly impossible to choose; it comes down to basically choosing which of the 4 Chaplin films you prefer the most because the special features are so good, they're equal to each other.

SoNowThen

The Adventures Of Antoine Doinel
Three Colors Trilogy
Fassbinder BRD Trilogy

if those aren't on a "best" dvd list for this year, then a dvd list ain't worth doing

so let's sort it out
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.