nominating the 2004 xixax awards

Started by Jeremy Blackman, January 12, 2004, 09:01:01 PM

MacGuffin

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetThe tradegy really just lies with City of God and the fact the Oscars were more gratuous than us in representing the film.

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetI didn't vote for this one.

When they say 'your vote counts', believe me, it does. A lot of the films that members wanted represented would have made it if more people sent in ballots. Some of 'em snubbed because of difference of 1 or 2 votes.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

nix

Alll The Real Girls, Gerry, and Elephant were all over my ballot. These are some pretty safe noms.
"Sex relieves stress, love causes it."
-Woddy Allen

modage

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanNext year's Xixax awards will most likely be months later.
i hope not.  months from now, i'll be into the next years movies and will hardly remember what i though of the previous.  if people are so concerned with seeing certain movies they will have to make an extra effort when they come to their town even for a week or two.  especially around now when a lot of the 'award' films are being re-released in many theatres so people can see them, it shouldnt be a problem.  but more people should've nominated period.  regardless of what they havent seen, they'd still seen a years worth of movies, so out of what they HAD seen they should've voted.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SoNowThen

Quote from: themodernage02
Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanNext year's Xixax awards will most likely be months later.
i hope not.  months from now, i'll be into the next years movies and will hardly remember what i though of the previous.  if people are so concerned with seeing certain movies they will have to make an extra effort when they come to their town even for a week or two.  especially around now when a lot of the 'award' films are being re-released in many theatres so people can see them, it shouldnt be a problem.  but more people should've nominated period.  regardless of what they havent seen, they'd still seen a years worth of movies, so out of what they HAD seen they should've voted.

As much as I don't want to, I have to agree.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

ono

If we're all so unhappy about it, why don't we just ask to do the nominations over.  "Demand a recount!"  Seriously.  We get the word out to all the people of the site, and give it more time.  I believe this event was way too close to the Dekapenticon for people to give it the attention it deserved.  These nominations obviously aren't representative of the people of Xixax, so why not?

If the admins don't want to count them again, which I totally understand, hell, I'll do it.  Or at least help whoever else doesn't mind doing it again.

modage

people have had weeks and weeks for this.  there's no way in hell the admin's want to RE-COUNT all those fucking votes!  people need to pay attention,  it's not like they werent reminded.  they're just going to have to make due with these nominations and make sure their votes are heard that way.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ono

Quote from: OnomatopoeiaIf the admins don't want to count them again, which I totally understand, hell, I'll do it.  Or at least help whoever else doesn't mind doing it again.

Sleepless

I agree with modernage, just becuase we're all moaning now doesn't mean we should start nominations again. This is obviously what we all voted for, like it or not. But that's what voting is. Doesn't always go your way.

Just out of interest, how many people actually voted for the nominees?
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Weak2ndAct

You know, I was looking over the list again, re-reading the oscar noms, and you know what?  I'm actually kinda okay with it, a lot moreso after first browse.  Sure, there might be some left field picks, but the Xixax list picked up a lot of the stuff the academy didn't (21 Grams, Kill Bill, Scarlett, Astin, etc.).  I'll be the first one to admit I had LIT and KB pretty much down for everything, but in typical awards fashion, my other votes were pretty out there (was I the only one giving props to 'Spider'?) and cancelled some other stuff out.  Oh well.  That's how these things work.  I'm definitely curious to see the results.

©brad

no one can really bitch. jeremy and others warned ppl countless times that they should get their nominations in. (i myself forgot at the last minute)

our nominations aren't that bad. (i really don't understand kill bill for best screenplay, but whatever) it'll be fine. awards are supposed to be fun, otherwise why do 'em. ppl take them too seriously.

Derek

The choices are solid, defying conventional wisdom, mainstream does not equal crap. Art movies can be over-estimated as mainstream movies can be under-estimated.

All The Real Girls is a good example of this.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

Henry Hill

CITY OF GOD was one of the best pictures of the year. i cant believe its not in the top five.  :shock:

kotte

Quote from: filmboy70CITY OF GOD was one of the best pictures of the year. i cant believe its not in the top five.  :shock:

Because some people have trouble with subtitles...

MacGuffin

When I finally see "City Of God," it better live up to and be worth all this hype.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Quote from: MacGuffinWhen I finally see "City Of God," it better live up to and be worth all this hype.
haha, uh oh.  well, it wasnt one of the best flicks of all time, but it was certainly one of the best of last (crappy) year.  it's in my top 3.  its very very good though.