nominating the 2004 xixax awards

Started by Jeremy Blackman, January 12, 2004, 09:01:01 PM

SoNowThen

Quote from: RegularKarateI like Kill Bill as much as the next guy, but "Best Screenplay?"

I thought it was light years better than 21 Grams and LIT (and didn't take itself so seriously).

Hahha, I might as well let everyone know I voted for Vince Vaughn to get best supporting for Old School. Just for the wedding scenes.  8)
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Sleepless

Quote from: CinephileHow, may I ask, did Finding Nemo suck?

Okay, maybe suck is too strong a word. But there Belleville is far more original than Nemo. Yes, Nemo is watchable, but for me it was nothing more than a way to kill a couple of hours, I didn't find it particularly enjoyable. Look at other pixar pictures - Toy Story, Monsters Inc - they were more fresh than Nemo - frankly, I feel the formula has worn thin. Also, I don't really feel that Nemo is that more advanced that its predecessors in computer-animated films that it deserved to be recognised on technical merit either.

Basically, I didn't rate it at all. The only reason it is so persistently recognised is because it's Disney/Pixar. Try something different for a change. Hope Belleville wins over it in the Oscars. :lol:
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: RegularKarateI wouldn't care if we called it off, really.  
Well, maybe this is a good time for every one to really put effort into choosing the winners. Maybe we should let people run free and campaign at each other.

Sleepless

I think the reason we've got some stuff up there was because people probably nominated five films in each catergory, rather than just 2 films which really really deserved it. I think when the votes start coming in for the winners they'll be more idicative of what we all really think - there'll be a large gap between the amount for whoever wins each catergory and those who doesn't I bet. It would have been nice to see much more varied stuff at least get a nod though.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

modage

I AM SHOCKED THAT.....

1) CITY OF GOD WAS ALL BUT SHUT OUT!  IT PICKED UP MORE FUCKING NOMINATIONS AT THE OSCARS!??!!? THE FUCKING OLD FART OSCARS?!?!  WE'VE ONLY GOT IT UP FOR FOREIGN LANGUAGE?!?!  I THOUGHT IT WOULD SWEEP THIS ON HERE!

2) HOW CLOSE OUR AWARDS ARE TO THE 'REAL ONES', like with the exception of Kill Bill, it looks like the Oscars to me.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SoNowThen

and I'm sorry, but with the exception of Giamatti, Philip Seymour Hoffman beat the shit out of everybody else for best actor...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

MacGuffin

Quote from: themodernage022) HOW CLOSE OUR AWARDS ARE TO THE 'REAL ONES', like with the exception of Kill Bill, it looks like the Oscars to me.

Courtesy of Reg. Karate:

Best Film:
LOTR
Lost In Translation

Director:
LOTR
Lost in Translation
Mystic River

Lead Actress:
Naomi Watts - "21 Grams"

Lead Actor:
Johnny Depp - "Pirates Of The Caribbean: The Curse Of The Black Pearl"
Bill Murray - "Lost In Translation"
Sean Penn – "Mystic River

Supporting Actress:
Renee Zelwegger - "Cold Mountain"
Holly Hunter - "Thirteen"

Supporting Actor:
Benicio Del Toro – supporting for them / lead for us
Tim Robbins – "Mystic River"

Screenplay:
American Splendor
Lost in Translation
Mystic River

Cinematography:
Cold Mountain
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

life_boy

Quote from: OnomatopoeiaGerry, from mod-age's description, sounds like pretentious shit.  Granted, I didn't get to see it in the whole weekend it came here, but it is on my list of "must see" films, if you could call it that.  Elephant hasn't even been released in theatres here yet, because it keeps getting delayed by the distributor.  

That's part of the 'problem' with how the nominations turned out.  Not everyone who visits this site lives in a place where they can see all the 'obscure brilliance' that wafts its way through the art-houses.  And if by some strange twist they do find themselves able to view a less-mainstream flick, it is usually something 'middle-mainstream' like Lost in Translation.  For some, it's hard enough just to see something like Mystic River before it leaves theaters, much less Elephant, Gerry, All the Real Girls, City of God, Owning Mahoney, In America, The Station Agent, Triplettes de Belleville, 21 Grams and American Splendor.

SoNowThen

Quote from: life_boyGerry, All the Real Girls, Owning Mahoney.

those are on dvd

modage

GOLDEN GLOBES

BEST PICTURE
Finding Nemo
Lost In Translation
Return of The King

BEST ACTRESS
Nicole
Uma
Scarlett

BEST ACTOR
Depp
Murray
Penn

SUPPORTING ACTOR
Robbins
Watanabe

SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Hunter
Zellwegger

DIRECTOR
Coppola
Eastwood
Jackson

SCREENPLAY
Mystic River
Lost in Translation

SCORE
Big Fish
LOTR
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pas

Quote from: life_boyMystic River before it leaves theaters, much less Elephant, Gerry, All the Real Girls, City of God, Owning Mahoney, In America, The Station Agent, Triplettes de Belleville, 21 Grams and American Splendor.

Exactly ! I had to download Lost in Translation to see it. And weirdly, all the movies listed above except Owning Mahoney, Mystic River and 21 Grams will start getting time in the college's theater in the course of the spring here.

Gold Trumpet

I wish this award show would have been later in the year myself because with my situation, I see almost none of the main films in talk if I stick to my city or any of my video stores. I've extended myself quite a lot on a  weekly basis to travel to just see movies like 21 Grams and House of Sand and Fog. Right now, I think I've seen half of the movies I'd seriously consider for any "best of" lists. I didn't vote for this one. I didn't see the point because I'd miss so many of them. I also don't mind the films nominated. People think it is too mainstream, but this board has been mainstream in my mind the entire time anyways. The tradegy really just lies with City of God and the fact the Oscars were more gratuous than us in representing the film.

Gloria

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetI wish this award show would have been later in the year myself because with my situation, I see almost none of the main films in talk if I stick to my city or any of my video stores. I've extended myself quite a lot on a  weekly basis to travel to just see movies like 21 Grams and House of Sand and Fog. Right now, I think I've seen half of the movies I'd seriously consider for any "best of" lists.

Same here. Limited releases are extremely difficult to find, much less get to.  I haven't seen City of God, Whale Rider, American Splendor or other films that could have made it to my nominations list.  That could account for the little representation of some films on the list.

modage

this is the same issue as the oscars (except 80% of us dont live in LA where we could go to the theatre to see any of these films).  we demand screeners!

Jeremy Blackman

Next year's Xixax awards will most likely be months later.

The deadline for the final vote this year will be toward the end of February.