nominating the 2004 xixax awards

Started by Jeremy Blackman, January 12, 2004, 09:01:01 PM

Pubrick

to the best of my recollection i can't picture a year that had so many deserving winners, however, there can be only one..  IN light of these transgressions, AMERICA, all your votes are disqualified. booyah!

ps. this thread kills me, good job everybody.
under the paving stones.

if only my english was better...  i guess some things get lost in translation.

how much does love weighs, btw?
context, context, context.

SoNowThen

Listen, with two days left, I'd like to make a small plea to everyone here:

if you haven't already, PLEASE find the time to see Owning Mahowny before the deadline. It's not the best picture of the year by any stretch, but if Philip Seymour Hoffman can't get a best actor nomination, at least, on a PTA originated website, then something's wrong. This is an amazing performance, and one definitely deserving of some kind of recognition.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

SHAFTR

I just saw Spider & All the Real Girls....after turning in my ballot...that's too bad.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

modage

Quote from: SHAFTRI just saw Spider & All the Real Girls....after turning in my ballot...that's too bad.
no, its not.  :lol:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

cine

Quote from: themodernage02
Quote from: SHAFTRI just saw Spider & All the Real Girls....after turning in my ballot...that's too bad.
What?   OH! I get it! Mod hates good movies. Right. Sorry. Forgot.

SHAFTR

Quote from: Cinephile
Quote from: themodernage02
What?   OH! I get it! Mod hates good movies. Right. Sorry. Forgot.

I really liked All the Real Girls (after seeing that an George WAshington..i'm very excited about David Gordon Green); Spider had 2 great performances but besides that it left me cold.

NEON MERCURY

...when i was 21 ...i snorted enough Grams of dead skin to fill my frontal lobe......???

Alethia

SHAFTR

so I just saw 21 Grams and In America....I should have waited a few days before submitting...ughhh

Pubrick

Quote from: SHAFTRso I just saw 21 Grams and In America....I should have waited a few days before submitting...ughhh
just make sure to vote for them on the final ballot.
under the paving stones.

picolas

Quote from: SHAFTRso I just saw 21 Grams and In America....I should have waited a few days before submitting...ughhh
actually, i believe you can still Edit Your Shit Together: Starring Mickey Rooney as Steven Seagal. just pm.

SHAFTR

Odd as this sounds I really care about this.  I have really tried doing my homework the last few days (after I turned in the ballot, but oh well).  I have seen All the Real Girls, Spider, Monster, In America & 21 Grams.

modage

so this is closed right?  did everybody get their nominations in?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I kept thinking 31st for some reason, and it was 25th.  I tried to see more recent films to make a good vote, but since most of my votes would've gone to Kill Bill anyway, I think it's best for me to just speculate what people are going to vote for.

I didn't catch many recent films as I tried to catch up on films in the past. Classics.  Mm yes.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye