Spun DVD

Started by cinemanarchist, July 25, 2003, 09:53:03 PM

cinemanarchist

I caught this at Sundance and loathed it, but I bought that DVD for the commentaries, and they are fucking wonderful. The movie is actually a bit more entertaining on DVD and with low expectations. Mina Suvari taking a crap is worth 15 bucks alone. But the commentary with Will De Santos is an instant classic. I met him at Sundance and he is a meth addict and the movie is based almost entirely on his life. When I met him he used the word "vagina" like it was "and" or "the". It didn't even have to make sense in the sentence, he just loves the word. Well he was banned from the set since he is so whacked out and even stole the dailies at one point. Please at least rent this film for the commentary. The other commentary with the director and other writer is horrid and very boring. Santos claims the other guy wrote absolutely nothing. All Santos could talk about at Sundance was how they raped his baby. Really fun backstory for a fairly decent film. Oh and it holds the world records for most cuts in a film...over 5000 and it's a 100 min movie. Let me know what you guys and gals think!
My assholeness knows no bounds.

cinemanarchist

one more thing, check out the films messageboard. It's basically filled with Meth addicts. Very weird since you would think this was kind of an anti-drug film, but the metheads love it. santos posts alot on the board but as is to be expected, most of his posts make no sense.

www.spundance.org

oh and santos wrote all kinds of angry ass letters to the producers and you can see those and some letters to and from don murphy as well as our good pal vincent gallo...highly highly entertaining.  

www.musefilm.com

lamas

I just rented this movie and didn't like it much at all.  I didn't find the story interesting at all.  I think it gets incredibly annoying to watch a bunch of incoherent druggies pretty much do nothing important.  If they had left it as a documentary as it was originally intended it would have been really intriguing.  I liked Mickey Rourke's performance though.

modage

http://www.xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=829

http://www.xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=324

i didnt like the movie either.  i went in with expectations (for schwartzman and ackerlund), and came out disappointed.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ghostboy

The movie grew on me the more Mickey Rourke was in it. I think his performance was really awesome (and I've heard he didn't want to be in the movie at all, and doesn't like it). Also, I really loved the scene with Brittany Murphy and Schwartzman driving to the bus station, where Hurdy Gurdy man keeps skipping on the stereo. That had a sort of exhausted beauty to it that made me like the movie overall. If it hadn't had those two elements in it, though, I would have hated it.

Ernie

I was sooooo excited about this movie when it was at Sundance and all...just so high on anticipation right up until the dvd release...so of course I blind bought it on the 22nd and I gotta say...it's not looking too good. I watched up until Ross ties April up and tapes her all up and everything...that wasn't cool. I lost interest completely after that. I'm going to finish it sooner or later of course, I just haven't really been inclined. It's really a disappointment. Seriously, I was downloading the first 8 minutes over at IFilm like crazy before it came out, lol...it never got old either...it was hilarious. It sucks to be this disappointed. Britanny Murphy is so fucking cool. She's the main part of ANY inclination (is that a word?) to watching the movie I still have. God, she is great in those first 8 minutes...her and John Luguizamo. Mena Suvari and Patrick Fugit are just nasty though...ugh. I don't know about Mickey Rourke yet...he seems alright. I don't like the random annoying characters coming up to the door, that really pissed me off...almost as much as the cutting.

EDIT - Wow, ok...just finished it. It really sucked  :(

Um, I suck at reviewing but I'll give it a shot this time...ok, first of all, the directing was horrible. You know how your supposed to trust a director? You know how a viewer is supposed to feel comfortable and feel that the way a scene is shown (like the angle and the framing and whatnot) is the ONLY way the scene could have been shot? Or that it is the most ideal?You know that whole theory? Yea, I didn't trust the director once...not for a SINGLE SHOT! God, it was such a mess. It was just all over the place. There wasn't a single nice shot in the whole fucking movie.

Ok, also...the writing was pretty annoying...also a mess...just all over the place, just like the direction.

The characters...I don't really know. Ross sucked...he was an unlikable bastard. He was kinda funny at like one or two parts but that's about it. Schwartzman better do something cool soon. Britanny Murphy was probably the best...I mean, she was really the only one I sympathized with. Um, my opinions didn't change about Cookie and Frisbee...they're not unlike Ross, just unlikable and impossible to sympathize with. I did like the two cops...Peter Stormare is a fucking funny guy. Um, John Luguizamo was funny and not much else. Mickey Rourke was just boring to me...everybody raved about him above all else but...I guess I just didn't see it. To me, Britanny Murphy and Peter Stormare were the stars, they stole it from him and everyone...including the director and fucking writer for god's sake. They refused to suck.

Other than that, I can't say much that hasn't already been said. There were a few (and I mean a FEW) kinda cool scenes. Like the one Ghostboy mentioned in the car was kinda cool. And then all the cop scenes were funny if nothing else. And the first 8 minutes was good! But yea, it really really sucked over all...biggest disappointment of a disappointing year overall so far...definitely.

modage

Jason Schwartzman has left his band Phantom Planet to pursue a career in acting.

MTV.COM
Phantom Planet have lost their star drummer. On Monday, Jason Schwartzman posted on the band's Web site, www.phantomplanet.com, that he's left the band "to pursue other things," namely, acting (he had previously made a name for himself for his lead role in "Rushmore"). Phantom Planet were halfway through recording their follow-up to 2002's The Guest with producer Dave Fridmann when Schwartzman gave notice, so he will appear on the new album, due in January, but not on all of the songs. Phantom Planet have started rehearsing with a new drummer, Jeff Conrad, for their upcoming set at the Sunset Junction Street Fair in Los Angeles on August 24. In the meantime, the band's track "California" can be heard as the theme song for the "The OC," which premieres Tuesday (August 5) on Fox.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: ebeamanCookie and Frisbee...

are those seriously names of two of the  characters in that film...what is it with junkie film w/characters that have random names....i wonder if they ever got high with cupcake and football ...

anyway ...i liked your review and want to thank you for letting me not make the mistake i did with igby and blind buy this

cinemanarchist

I'm telling you if you think the writing is horrible, just listen to the Santos commentary...you will wonder how there is a single coherent line in the whole thing. But I still really like it, even more so after two additional viewings. My friend who has done meth says it's pretty spot on, though being spot on doesn't make a good movie. To each his or her own.

Pwaybloe

For those of you who saw this movie in the theater, did you notice any blurs of images and bleeps of curse words like the DVD had?

Edit: Nevermind.  I found out they sell an unrated version, too.  I saw the rated one.

moonshiner

anybody know if the soundtrack/score is available anywhere for this, Billy Corgan did the music for this, if not available for sale, do any of you sneaky bastards have the files to share?
the rumble of the train trails off to infinity, a place where no one goes anymore

JC, no not that one

nix

"Sex relieves stress, love causes it."
-Woddy Allen

coffeebeetle

more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)