Breaking Bad

Started by squints, February 25, 2009, 07:23:38 PM

Tictacbk

Quote from: ono on August 31, 2012, 07:27:46 AM
I had a thought yesterday about Jesse.  What's the one way for him to truly be out?  If Walt's gone, finally leaving him the hell alone.  How does he accomplish that, and get free?  If Walt gets caught without him, Walt might take him down.  So, instead, Jesse brings his information to Hank in exchange for immunity and they work together to bring him down.  Any number of those three people die in a final confrontation.  I think Jesse finding out that Walt killed Mike is the turning point, the catalyst Jesse needs to see how this can't end well AND he might need to do something drastic like this to stop it.  Maybe it's too out there, but after Jesse and Hank's earlier interactions, it would be interesting to see them working together in this way.

I'm not sure Jesse could get immunity given everything he's done, especially murdering Gale.

Pubrick

Jesse going to hank would be the boringest way to make the shit hit the fan. That would be more like delicately placing the shit on a fan blade and blowing onto it with your mouf.

Hank has to discover things himself. Jesse has to fight Walt. Skylar has to die(I don't even hate her it's just going to happen, they have no other plausible victim). It would be surprising if Walt's kids died, that would be too much to lose, no stakes would be left and the show would become a pointless shoot out.

So maybe that's how it ends.
under the paving stones.

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

modage

Oh, FUCK. Amiright, you guys?

I thought this was the best episode of the half-season. So much good stuff. And the ending was PERFECT. My heart was racing.

More on The Playlist tomorrow...
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

©brad

I told you bitches! At least I think I did. Hank had to find out this ep. And Mike's 9 guys took up about 2 minutes.

Brando

There was something different with this episode compared to every other Breaking Bad Episode. I just felt the direction and the feel of the episode had this horror/evil/dread element to it. Everything leading up to the first montage of the killings, almost felt like an entirely different show. I really liked it. It just felt like David Fincher came in and directed the first quarter of the show.

Great scene with Walt and Jesse.

I guess we a knew the moment of Hank figuring it out was certain but it was still an exciting moment. Everything is just going to fall in to place for Hank now. He'll realize the whole winning money at gambling was a lie, understand what was going on with Skyler and finally understand his love affair of remembering Walt and his second phone. Also could look up that Jesse was one of his former students. I imagine he'll have to do some investigating on his own or just with Gomez before telling the DEA he's investigating his brother in law. Also, It's a funny touch that Hank finds out while taking a shit.

I was surprised that Walt called it quits. I expect seeing a huge stack of money like that could persuade anyone. I don't know how much you can trust Walt though. He did try it before and ended up completely redoing the closet before going back. Does Hank try to investigate Walt trying to piece together what he's done or does Walt get back into it and Hank catch him in the act?

I noticed this a couple of seasons ago but Marie and her love affair of purple is out of hand. Purple is a great color.  It's the color of royalty but she has way too much purple decorating her house.
If you think this is going to have a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

MacGuffin

Quote from: MacGuffin on August 28, 2012, 05:17:50 PM
I'm guessing modage will say this about this Sunday's episode:

:shock:

:yabbse-cry:

:bravo:

Quote from: modage on September 02, 2012, 10:43:24 PM
Oh, FUCK. Amiright, you guys?

I thought this was the best episode of the half-season. So much good stuff. And the ending was PERFECT. My heart was racing.

More on The Playlist tomorrow...

Pretty much.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Kal

So perfect. I mean, no better place to finally think clearly than while taking a dump. It has been in front of him this whole time.

Such an amazing episode. The last 1/3 of it everything was going so great, and the tension was just incredible waiting for something to happen. Reminded me of the last episode of The Sopranos, but only better.

Jeremy Blackman

This episode definitely did feel different. Such an oddly-paced structure. Here's the genius of it. I'm guessing they knew viewers would be expecting something big to happen, so they realized they could use a bunch of low-key scenes to crank up the tension:

- The very slow scene where Walt awkwardly sits with his back to Todd
- The long chat with disillusioned Hank
- Walt's visit to Jesse's house (I kept thinking Walt came to kill Jesse, especially since it was in the last 8 minutes of the episode)
- Party scene with Hank & Marie (I knew it couldn't end like that, so was someone going show up guns blazing?)

Hank's epiphany was perfect in every way.

Just looking at his face in that final scene, you can see the pieces ominously sliding into place in his mind, I imagine something like the title cards in Requiem for a Dream. There are just so many anecdotal smoking guns in Hank's memory that were just lying in wait for this moment. Adding to Brando's list:

- Walt having anxiety about the laundromat and causing the accident
- Walt having anxiety about placing the GPS unit
- Walt belittling Gale and saying maybe Heisenberg is still out there
- Walt's chemistry expertise
- Walt's change in personality (and gambling problem) coincided with the blue meth surfacing
- Walt's antics in Hank's office, including holding the picture frame

Hank will be on a crusade orders of magnitude beyond his Gus Fring obsession. But it's still going to be an uphill battle. He's holding the physical smoking gun, but how does he get it out? Evidence taken that way is useless in court. How does he catch Walt in the act if he's no longer in the act? Maybe he crosses some professional boundaries and orchestrates something that would cause Walt to start cooking again. I can see Hank and Gomez doing something rogue.

We can be reasonably sure that Walt catches on to Hank's suspicion, right?

There are so many possibilities. It must be endlessly exciting but quite daunting for the writers. They're writing the final 8 right now, apparently.

This should be an interesting podcast.

Jeremy Blackman

I'm only 40 minutes into the podcast, but they've already made it clear how much influence Michelle MacLaren had on the episode. Showing the prison deaths in the full-action Godfather style was her idea. She's now directed some of the show's very best episodes, including Salud and One Minute. (And in fact, these might be the 3 most violent episodes of the whole series.)

Jeremy Blackman

Interestingly, she also directed Walking Dead's (arguably) best episode, "Pretty Much Dead Already."

I wonder if they specifically recruit her for the more action-packed Breaking Bad episodes. They could certainly do that, since she's on staff anyway as a producer.

Jeremy Blackman

Donna Bowman pulled through and offered a pretty good (brief) analysis of why Walt is okay with being done:

When she hands over the nine names and walks away, Walt looks disappointed; the ricin vial he'd been ready to use to tie up the Lydia loose end has to go back behind the outlet. He's got a new partner.

Not just disappointed, though. Tired. As Heisenberg puts back on his hat and heads back to work, he already looks like a man who has discovered that the prize he worked for isn't what he imagined. It doesn't feel like freedom. In fact, it's a job, and like all jobs, it's a neverending treadmill.

As well as opening with this quote:

"When Alexander saw the breadth of his domain, he wept, for there were no more worlds to conquer."

http://www.avclub.com/articles/gliding-over-all,84205/

Jeremy Blackman

Oh and did anyone else notice Michael Bowen? I half expected Walt's response to be "you have to be nicer to me." Or Michael Bowen could have said "let's make some money." Something. At first I was like "is that.... no, it can't be. Is it?"

The podcast confirms it's him, as do the opening credits, but it's not on imdb yet.

Quintuple post complete. Moving on.

Jeremy Blackman

Other reasons that Walt wanted to stop:

- With his "I'm in the empire business" rhetoric, he must have been picturing himself as some kind of Tuco figure, in his own little world with henchmen by his side. But Walt knows what happened to Tuco. And Walt's lack of involvement in distribution precludes him from that role anyway. It's never going to be his empire... he's dependent on people like Lydia. It's just not as romantic as he was hoping. This could be why the Heisenberg hat came back with a vengeance this season. He needed to cling to that fantasy more than ever.

- No Jesse, no inspiration. He was the inspiration to begin with, remember, as he caught Walt's eye climbing out of that window. Walt wanted to build something together. Now he's stuck with a truly uninspiring sidekick. First Gale, now Todd... what luck. (Giving Todd the literal cold shoulder was a nice touch.)

Kal

Surprised not to see more speculation on how do we get to the scene from the first episode of the season. Is Walt running away from Hank?