Breaking Bad

Started by squints, February 25, 2009, 07:23:38 PM

Jeremy Blackman

Of course Walt's brilliant solution had to be some kind of messed up thing that would not actually deliver what he promised. And of course, it had to be something with massive consequences written all over it...

Mike tells Walt to leave town, but Walt is now tied down with a new distributor. He thinks he put them in their place and established dominance, but really, they could dispatch him at any time, take his methylamine, get their money back, kill his family. As shown in the teaser, Walt sees himself as some kind of invincible Western outlaw, but he has no power behind him, no henchmen, absolutely no one who would take revenge if something happened to him. Everyone, including Saul, would probably breath a sigh of relief that the timebomb has stopped ticking. Walt is possibly in a weaker position now than he was in Season 4. Taking that money was a huge mistake.

Can we confidently predict that Episode 1's flash forward involves a confrontation with the new distributor? It seems likely, but maybe that would be too obvious. And when is this giant time leap going to happen?

Also in the speculation department, I wonder how Walt will be reacting to Mike's death. At the moment he seems humbled and embarrassed, but will he take a turn toward caution? Obviously the next episode will involve Lydia... will he tell her? And it's funny, now that Mike is gone, Walt has to clean up this crime scene himself.

That teaser was one of the best I can remember. It was so surreal and outrageous building to the "say my name" exchange and it shouldn't have worked, but wow does it work. Season 5 is already rivaling Season 4 in the iconic scene tally.

I was really impressed with Aaron Paul this episode, and the character of Jesse in general. His complex and incremental emotional reactions to Walt's betrayal were so spot-on and rang so true.

Side note, check out the massive spoiler (for this episode) plastered across the Breaking Bad webpage. Classy. And just below that image they have behind-the-scenes clips tagged with spoiler warnings.

I agree that we can always root for Hank and Jesse. At the same time, I think rooting for characters is an overrated endeavor with this show at this point. Personally, I'm sort of rooting for things to further unravel in a spectacularly tragic fashion, because it will be dark and painful and glorious.

ono

Brando

SPOILER

The "shut up walt, let me die in peace." line was fitting end to a great character. Up to his final breath, he still had to put walt in his place. Walt was trying to apologize realizing his mistake but not understanding moment and making it about him until Mike gives his final great liner.

Mike was a great character and I'm going to miss him. I loved his complete professionalism in all things along with his soft side for his granddaughter. When he's trying to decide to leave his granddaughter on the swing and run or give up was heartbreaking. They didn't do much cause they didn't need it cause we know how much he cares for his granddaughter so just watching him trying to decide was one of the saddest moments of the entire show. I also cant help but think back when Mike was going to kill Lydia.  She was more upset over her daughter not knowing what happened to her than being killed. It's now the fate that has befallen Mike.  His granddaughter will never know what happened to him other than he took her to the park one day and left her. I can't think of a sadder moment in the series.

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on August 27, 2012, 02:36:09 AM

Can we confidently predict that Episode 1's flash forward involves a confrontation with the new distributor? It seems likely, but maybe that would be too obvious.

It's the best prediction we can make at the moment. I could see everyone around Walt abandoning him then he gets pushed out by his new partners leaving him to get some Ramboesque revenge.

SPOILER REFERRING TO SOMETHING VINCE GILLIGAN SAID BEFORE THE SEASON BEGAN ABOUT THIS SEASONSPOILER

In an interview before the season began, Vince Gilligan said Walt did something this season that he could no longer be on Walt's side. This has to be it. There was no reason for him to kill Mike. Mike just hurt his ego and it didn't have anything to do with the 8 other guy's name.
If you think this is going to have a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

cine

Quote from: Brando on August 27, 2012, 09:49:56 AM
SPOILER REFERRING TO SOMETHING VINCE GILLIGAN SAID BEFORE THE SEASON BEGAN ABOUT THIS SEASONSPOILER

In an interview before the season began, Vince Gilligan said Walt did something this season that he could no longer be on Walt's side. This has to be it. There was no reason for him to kill Mike. Mike just hurt his ego and it didn't have anything to do with the 8 other guy's name.

we really have no idea yet. there are still 9 episodes to go, which is a lifetime for Breaking Bad.

Brando

Quote from: cine on August 27, 2012, 10:03:24 AM
Quote from: Brando on August 27, 2012, 09:49:56 AM

we really have no idea yet. there are still 9 episodes to go, which is a lifetime for Breaking Bad.

I keep thinking of it as two seasons instead of one broken up into two parts. That quote was a few weeks before season five began so he had to be referring to these first eight. I'm not sure of how much the writers had tackled the second eight episode at that time. It also would be strange for him to tease the second half of the season instead of the upcoming season.  I should clarify it wasn't a big spoiler he was giving.  He just said he could always see things from Walt's perspective and understand his justifications for his actions. He could have been referring to Walt wanting to start cooking again after all the things that happened for not seeing things Walt's way anymore. I just don't think there is any justification for killing Mike so thought that's what Vince was talking about.
If you think this is going to have a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

Pubrick

the obnoxious camera on the dude's arm as he was putting money in the deposit boxes.. LOW point of the season.

everything else.. top notch.

continue with your spoiler discussion that i'm never going to read. anyway, in general response to the idea being discussed.. walt has been unforgivable almost the whole season. everything he does turns him into more of a monster. the transformation has long been complete as far as i'm concerned.

the rest of the show needs to drive it head-on over the edge of tragedy thereby cementing it as the best dramatic show to bridge the post-wire pre-GoT dead zone.
under the paving stones.

©brad

Watching this show has almost become masochistic. I feel a gnawing sense of dread at what's to come like never before. The fun is over. We're no longer rooting for an anti-hero to get away. There was nothing subversively fun about that meth montage (which I'll get to in a sec). Along with Mike and eventually Walt and whoever else, we as viewers are now being punished for reveling in the thrill of all the despicable madness from seasons past.

- Am I the only one who found the cold open unintentionally funny? Badass sure, but slightly goofy and such obvious bait for us fanboys. I did get goosebumps so I don't really know what I'm complaining about here.

- The meth montage felt superfluous and uninpsired in comparison to the others. Cue the cool song, let's cook some meth! We've seen this so many times on the show before (and done way better) I wish those 60-odd seconds were spent elsewhere. Also the peppy song choice seemed out of place in an otherwise dreadful episode.

Quote from: Pubrick on August 27, 2012, 11:30:20 AM
the obnoxious camera on the dude's arm as he was putting money in the deposit boxes.. LOW point of the season.

As gratuitous and pointless as that POV shot of the shovel in season 4 when Jesse prompts that methhead to dig holes. I think the cinematography on this show will go down as the best in TV history, and I have no problem with show-off shots, but sometimes they go a step too far. Minor beef though.

Okay, now all the awesome:

- That final scene left me nauseous, and it solidified Jesse's point; this shit will never stop. The frailty of Walt's/the American male's ego is truly sickening.

- Kudos to Johnathan Banks for his heartbreaking performance at the playground. As Brando pointed out it was a brilliant callback to that equally suspenseful scene with Lydia.

- What do we make of the prolonged beat between Jesse and Skylar in the carwash, when she walks away, turns back and stares at him? Are they silently bonding over all the Walt bullshit they've had to put up with?

- I'm racking my brain as to how Hank will ultimately find out about Walt. What is that scene going to look like? The writers have their work cut out for them!

Brando

Quote from: ©brad on August 27, 2012, 02:52:52 PM

- The meth montage felt superfluous and uninpsired in comparison to the others. Cue the cool song, let's cook some meth! We've seen this so many times on the show before (and done way better) I wish those 60-odd seconds were spent elsewhere. Also the peppy song choice seemed out of place in an otherwise dreadful episode.

I didn't put it together until you mentioned it but I think the montage was supposed to be dull. Like you've said we've seen it done so many times and way better but this time it reflects Walt's mood. Although Todd did a pretty good job and looked very enthusiastic I think Walt missed Jesse. Walt's mood throughout the cook sorta reflected the "uninspired" montage.

- What do we make of the prolonged beat between Jesse and Skylar in the carwash, when she walks away, turns back and stares at him? Are they silently bonding over all the Walt bullshit they've had to put up with?

I don't know what Skyler thinks of Jesse.  I don't know if she blames him or feels he has to put up with his shit too. I do think Jesse feels bad for Skyler.  He can see how much she is hurting. Probably seeing what sticking around has done to Skyler is making it easier for Jesse to leave.

RegularKarate

- I'm racking my brain as to how Hank will ultimately find out about Walt. What is that scene going to look like? The writers have their work cut out for them!

There was an odd shot when Hank came back into his office with coffee for Walt. It was angled just like a security camera.

picolas

i loved the hand pov. i didn't find it obnoxious. it emphasized how deft he was at his job, down to his fingers.

©brad

I'm ready to predict that Hank finds out about Walt next episode and the final 8 episodes will be their long-awaited cat and mouse showdown. What do you guys think? There's really nowhere else the show can go now, save some inevitable battles with Walt's new distribution partners and figuring out what to do with Mike's 9 guys.

I'm also ready to be proven completely wrong.

Jeremy Blackman

I don't know if they'd try to fit that into the next episode. Maybe. It just seems like they would give Hank the honor of figuring it out incrementally, rather than handing him some sudden revelation. He obviously realized something was fishy when he searched Mike's house, so that could be the beginning of it. Maybe Episode 8 will just give him a big step toward Walt. Something akin to discovering the Pollos Hermanos stuff in Gale's apartment.

Brando

Last week, I was going to post my predictions to Walt's "everybody wins" plan and I'm glad I didn't. I wasn't even close. There has to be some time inbetween Hank finding out about Walt cooking and before he finds out Walt has completely lost it. I doubt Hank will go as far as Skyler as trying to help him not get caught but he will probably have the same reaction as Skyler believing Walt is a victim. The scene I want to see is the "I'm the one who knocks" scene between Walt and Hank.

Jeremy Blackman

I think Hank would have a chance to realize how Walt has duped him. That combined with the enraging fact that Walt was right in front of him the whole time, and he's not going to be happy. I don't see much room for compassion when we get to that point, and there would be little room for excuses. I can see Hank uttering the line "no more stories" or something like that. He would try to arrest Walt or incapacitate him or shoot him, depending on the circumstance. Or maybe he's pursuing the man he knows to be Heisenberg, and in some sort of confrontation discovers it's Walt. Whatever they come up with is going to be great.

But I think Walt ultimately kills Hank. I don't see it happening any other way. Hank goes out a hero, and Walt descends deeper.

Tictacbk

I think Hank would have to find out incrementally, unless Skyler comes out with all of it.  Even if, say, there was a camera in Hank's office that captured Walt removing the bugs, Hank would never be able to make the leap to Walt being Heisenberg.  Same goes for him finding out Walt is the cook making blue meth.  When you really think about it, its kind of ridiculous how much Walt and Jesse have accomplished with such a small outfit, how could Hank ever piece that together ? All though Walter would be too proud to go down for anything other than kingpin.  I want Hank to find out by the end of this next episode though, I really do.  From the beginning this show has always been about Hank being right on their tails.  Think of all the close calls they've had...Hank showing up at Tuco's, Hank being right outside the trailer in the junkyard...its about time it turns into a full fledged battle.

That being said, I think they must also be setting up this Phoenix crew as a drug war coming Walt's way, for which he isn't remotely prepared.  They took his deal way too easily considering the whole reason they wanted the 1000 gallons of methylamine was to get the blue meth off the market.  Do I really want to live in a world without coca-cola? If I'm Pepsi, hell yes I do.  One of Walter's biggest strengths in the meth world was his anonymity, and he and his giant ego threw that all away when he bragged about being best cook in the world AND the one who killed Gus.  Heisenberg's got a target on his back.

Sidenote: could one of the Phoenix guys be a DEA agent?