Breaking Bad

Started by squints, February 25, 2009, 07:23:38 PM

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Tictacbk on August 14, 2012, 04:38:58 PM
The generator bothered me, because they could've at least taken the time to get a quiet generator.

But on top of that...
-The train car they needed happened to stop right where they needed it.
-Maybe its just an urban legend or something, but I was under the impression that it takes freight trains like a mile to come to a stop.
-They somehow had knowledge of freight train tanks and how they work, including sizes of hose attachments, what levers to pull, what size drillbits to have, etc.
-The train crew didn't seem concerned at all that they had to stop their train, did they know they were in a "train deadzone"?
-Lydia is all of the sudden an expert on all of this because apparently its part of her job.
-Walt apparently didn't care if all sorts of dirt got in the methylamine.
-Their precise water measurement didn't really pan out...they didn't seem to be monitoring how much they were putting in, and a lot spilled out of the hose (the, knowing Breaking Bad, that could easily come back as a plot point).

In a show that usually pays such close attention to details, it just seemed odd...though yes, thrilling.

A lot of that is a result of compressing time more than usual this season. They don't show us all the work and research that went behind it. It's more interesting to see it in action anyway, so we get reveals during the action. It reminds me of the big heist in the first Mission: Impossible movie... they revealed nearly everything (logistics and such) as they were doing it.

Some of it is definitely unrealistic, but I think most of it is fine. I don't need to know how they learned about trains; I simply accept that they did. The writers and producers have to make a choice between boring us with the minutia and relying on a reasonable suspension of disbelief from the audience.

-The train car they needed happened to stop right where they needed it.

They did measurements, not all of which was shown, so I'm willing to buy this. I'm sure they got a bit lucky, but I think their hoses were long enough that the correct car stopping in the general area of the bridge would have been good enough. There also might have been several methylamine cars in succession (which is actually likely).

This actually did bother me quite a bit. Maybe they have filters that take care of that. Or maybe it will become a plot point.

-Their precise water measurement didn't really pan out...they didn't seem to be monitoring how much they were putting in, and a lot spilled out of the hose (the, knowing Breaking Bad, that could easily come back as a plot point).

I'm not sure you're correct. What led you to believe they screwed up the water? There was some spillage, but Walt accounted for that as he said through dialogue. He started the water flow at a precise point so it would be as close as possible.

Tictacbk

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on August 14, 2012, 05:40:57 PM

I'm not sure you're correct. What led you to believe they screwed up the water? There was some spillage, but Walt accounted for that as he said through dialogue. He started the water flow at a precise point so it would be as close as possible.

Because when Landry threw the hose off the train water was still spraying out of it all over the place. 

I guess I'd have an easier time believing everything if more than a few days had gone by since the last episode.  I can't stop noticing how much gets done in such little time.  Another example: they apparently travel back and forth to/from Houston like its nothing (and with at least one pistol on them).

Brando

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on August 14, 2012, 05:40:57 PM

This actually did bother me quite a bit. Maybe they have filters that take care of that. Or maybe it will become a plot point.

I don't usually notice or bothered by details like that but I did notice that one as well. I probably would have ignored it if it wasn't so easily remedied by placing some sort of pipe so that the opening isn't level with the ground/dirt. The writers are usually on top of that. I just wrote it off as Walt is now the boss and no longer the master chief/artist so he couldn't care less about the purity of his product. Maybe accidental but it does kinda show the difference between Walt and Gus. Gus would have been upset about the contamination while Walt only sees the end product.  Also, they mentioned how all that water would only dilute the methylamine only a small amount so a couple of handfuls of dirt couldn't do too much damage I wouldn't think.
If you think this is going to have a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

modage

This coming Sunday's episode.  :yabbse-lipsrsealed:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Brando on August 14, 2012, 08:36:17 PMI don't usually notice or bothered by details like that but I did notice that one as well. I probably would have ignored it if it wasn't so easily remedied by placing some sort of pipe so that the opening isn't level with the ground/dirt. The writers are usually on top of that. I just wrote it off as Walt is now the boss and no longer the master chief/artist so he couldn't care less about the purity of his product. Maybe accidental but it does kinda show the difference between Walt and Gus. Gus would have been upset about the contamination while Walt only sees the end product.  Also, they mentioned how all that water would only dilute the methylamine only a small amount so a couple of handfuls of dirt couldn't do too much damage I wouldn't think.

Great points. I imagine had the dirt issue been brought up in the podcast, they would have laughed it off and said something exactly like that.

It's absolutely true, and interesting, that Walt's rise to power coincides with increased carelessness. There's the whole "I won" attitude primarily causing it, which is the obvious point, but I think there's more to it.

Walt required precision, caution, and obsessiveness for these things in the past:
- Starting out in the business, making a name for himself by achieving the best possible product
- Carefully learning how to not get caught
- Defending his territory
- Gaining Gus's attention and respect
- Proving himself valuable enough to stay alive

That's all in the past, so he probably feels like he doesn't have much left to prove. He's not entirely careless, but he's only interested in being cautious enough. His attitude with the train heist was pretty much "eh, let's give it a shot." Season 2 Walt would be trembling on the floor in an OCD fever at the prospect.

It's as if his pride was initially manifested in cooking the best product in the world and being proud of that, but now his pride is manifested in generalized near-megalomania.

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

The show has always involved children, or at least used them in some way to surprise and shock us into considering the actual consequences of Walt's path.

- The idea that a baby was coming into his life always left me on edge, and still does now that Holly's around
- Jesse's little brother revealed to be the one possessing a j
- the omnipresent season 2 pink teddy bear
- Andrea's nephew who shot combo
- The little meth-heads' kid
- Brock and lily of the valley
- The boy on the dirtbike

Not sure if it's JUST this season involving kids, because we've seen children integrated since season 1

©brad

Yeah kids man. Victims of Walt's wrath continue to extend far beyond the gangsters he's had to kill. 

I felt the scene with Hank holding Holly was very telling. I forgot his exact line but it's something to the extent of "I'm not giving you back!" I'm predicting something bad happening to Holly, and definitely to Skyler.

Quote from: modage on August 14, 2012, 09:25:03 PM
This coming Sunday's episode.  :yabbse-lipsrsealed:

:yabbse-grin:

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: ©brad on August 15, 2012, 12:12:50 PMI'm predicting something bad happening to Holly, and definitely to Skyler.

Yeah, this will be one of the most interesting developments of the season for sure. With Holly, they're going to have to step through a minefield of gimmickry and cliche, which is going to be very hard. I can't wait to see what they come up with.

Brando

Quote from: Tictacbk on August 14, 2012, 04:38:58 PM

I rewatched it. They were filling up the tank with water while explaining to Todd the plan. Walt said the amount of water needed to replace the methylamine then told Jesse to put more in to account for spillage and water left in the hose.

Also, Hank asks Walt Jr. if he wants to watch Heat with him and Holly and Marie. Walt watches Scarface with the family and Hank watches Heat. Totally different movies but both bad guys die in the end in a gun fight.
Quote from: AntiDumbFrogQuestion on August 14, 2012, 09:56:41 PM
The show has always involved children, or at least used them in some way to surprise and shock us into considering the actual consequences of Walt's path.

- The idea that a baby was coming into his life always left me on edge, and still does now that Holly's around
- Jesse's little brother revealed to be the one possessing a j
- the omnipresent season 2 pink teddy bear
- Andrea's nephew who shot combo
- The little meth-heads' kid
- Brock and lily of the valley
- The boy on the dirtbike

Not sure if it's JUST this season involving kids, because we've seen children integrated since season 1

Forgot about Jesse's brother and the meth-head's kid.  It's subtle but they wove the children element throughout the entire series. I mean it's not hitting you over the head with it.

GAMEOFTHRONES SOILER Game of Thrones doesn't treat children all that well either. At least Walt hasn't murdered an infant in front of her mother.

FINALLY, a man named Walter White was arrested in Alabama for cooking meth.  http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/entertainment/2012/08/real-life-walter-white-not-breaking-bad-wanted-for-meth/ There was also a story a while back of the professor at BU was caught cooking meth.
If you think this is going to have a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

diggler

Quote from: Brando on August 17, 2012, 04:11:15 PM
Also, Hank asks Walt Jr. if he wants to watch Heat with him and Holly and Marie. Walt watches Scarface with the family and Hank watches Heat. Totally different movies but both bad guys die in the end in a gun fight.

Heat's ending makes so much more sense for this show than Scarface's. I could totally see Hank holding hands with a dying Walt after shooting him (not that they would do that, it just fits the tone of the show better)
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

Brando

I thought the teaser was great. After last week's ending, I was so shocked by what happened I really didn't think it over cause I was focusing on the "wow did that just fucking happen?" Watching them silently take apart the bike then digging up the kid made me think of the kid's death and how his family will never know what happened to him. It was really powerful. So many crazed Walt moments. His whistling, the dinner scene, burning his fucking hand, and that look he gives Mike when he has the gun to his head. Having a gun to his doesn't phase him anymore.

Walt cooking out on his own is it.  Jesse has been his moral compass for a while now keeping him from doing too horrible of things. Mike kept his power and ego in check.  Walt is going to be completely lost with those two no longer involved in the business. Todd is going going to replace Jesse as his side kick. Todd can only get crazier cause I think the only reason the writers had him keep the spider was to show he's nuts.

Quote from: ddiggler on August 18, 2012, 10:52:02 AM
Quote from: Brando on August 17, 2012, 04:11:15 PM

Heat's ending makes so much more sense for this show than Scarface's. I could totally see Hank holding hands with a dying Walt after shooting him (not that they would do that, it just fits the tone of the show better)

Each movie's tone fits the character and how they see themselves. Walt will always see his story the same as Scarface or as the hero going out in a blaze of glory.

©brad

That dinner scene was the funniest thing this show has done to date. Jesse's delivery of this line was perfect:

"You know, my kids aren't around anymore."
"Thank GOD."

This is one of the first episodes in a while where I found myself almost rooting for Walt again. Revealing some of the backstory of what happened at Gray Matter provided context as to what's really driving him.

My predictions:
- We're not done with bad things happening to kids (look out Holly)
- Mike will not survive this season

Brando

Quote from: ©brad on August 20, 2012, 10:31:36 AM

"You know, my kids aren't around anymore."
"Thank GOD."

Ha. I remember Walt's line but I missed Jesse's "Thank god." That scene was so awkward. Walt sitting there with that silent stare, Skyler talking about her affair, and Jesse doing his best. I really loved the ending to that scene. Walt telling Jesse he was taking away the only thing he has left.  It shows he's given up on Skyler but will never give up cooking meth. The man is giving everything he has including burning himself and having guns pointed at him to keep his "empire." He's not doing a thing to try and save his marriage and kids. It does seem that Holly will be put in the middle somehow.  I see Hank and Marie getting custody of Holly and raising her.

theyarelegion

Brando